• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Water intake versus water out

Ok, I'm drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water a day - normally more (I put six 500ml bottles of mineral water in the fridge each evening for the next day so I can check exactly how much I'm having). The problem is, I'm rarely peeing more than twice a day (TMI, I know). I wrote an email to the hospital and they have asked me to go in and get checked and have some blood tests on Tuesday.

Does anyone else have this problem? Pre op I used to be able to pee for England! :confused: xx

I never stop drinking and peeing, so not sure hun x:eek:

Hi there, the normal ranges are:-

800 to 2000 ml/day (with a fluid intake of about 2 L/day)

Decreased urine output is defined as producing less than 500 milliliters of urine in a 24 hour period. It's medical term is Oliguria

Although a significant decrease in urine output may indicate a serious, even life-threatening condition, adequate urine output can be restored with prompt medical treatment.

The most common causes are dehydration due to vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, with a lack of adequate fluid intake. Urinary tract obstruction or an infection. Some medications may also affect output.

Some possible questions to answer are:-

When did this begin?
Did it occur suddenly?
Has it rapidly become worse?
Quality
How much do you drink each day?
Does drinking more increase your urine output?
How much urine do you produce each day?
What color is the urine?
Has there been fever?
Has there been diarrhea?
Has there been vomiting? With or without nausea?
Is thirst decreased?
What other symptoms do you have?
What medications do you take?
Do you have any allergies?
Do you have access to adequate fluids?
Have you had any recent injuries such as burns?
Have you been sick?
Do you have a history of a problem with your kidneys or bladder?

You have done the right thing in contacting doctor and I hope they sort this out for you very soon.:)

I hope you get an answer soon. I pee for England when I drink like I am supposed to.

Thanks everyone. I've been feeling a bit ropey today so I'm quite glad that I'm going to the hospital on Tuesday. My stomach feels really bloated and I definitely feel like I'm retaining water. Typical that this coming week is going to be another busy one! xx

Decreased urine output is defined as producing less than 500 milliliters of urine in a 24 hour period. It's medical term is Oliguria

Although a significant decrease in urine output may indicate a serious, even life-threatening condition, adequate urine output can be restored with prompt medical treatment.

The most common causes are dehydration due to vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, with a lack of adequate fluid intake. Urinary tract obstruction or an infection. Some medications may also affect output.

When did this begin?
Did it occur suddenly?
Quality
What color is the urine?
Has there been fever?
Has there been diarrhea?
Is thirst decreased?
Have you been sick?

You have done the right thing in contacting doctor and I hope they sort this out for you very soon.:)

Cazbandy: You're always so helpful :)

I'm a bit like you sweetie. I drink about 1.5 litres a day at the moment and only go for a wee 2 or 3 times a day. I've always drank a lot of water (3-4 litres a day) and go to the loo a million times a day so this is weird for me too.

I'm glad you posted this and will be interested to hear what your test results say. Thanks

Kidney infection

Back from the hospital and it transpires that I have a kidney infection :(

I'm actually feeling ropey as anything at present, so I'm just going to try and get some rest for a while xx

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that but it's a good job you got it checked out as soon as you did as I gather kidney infections can become quite painful.

Get lots of rest and drink lots of water, and hope you feel better soon x

Hope you feel better soon, you got me thinking now as i am having the same problem hopefully will be seeing my gp tommorrow.

When did this begin?
Did it occur suddenly?
Quality
What color is the urine?
Has there been fever?
Has there been diarrhea?
Is thirst decreased?
Have you been sick?

hggfx

Back