• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Week 2 post op calorie confusion

joujou

Hello ladies, so after 2 weeks of liquid I'm starting mush on Wednesday and I'm a little confused as to how many calories I should be having a day????? I don't want to go into storage mode due to not having enough nor do I want to over do it....... Any advice ?????

My provider doesn't specifically recommend calorie counting. It's just something I chose to do to help me control my intake till the restriction helped. I focussed on getting 60g + of protein per day, and the calories tended to come in around 1100 a day once I went onto solids,but it was a bit less i think when I was at your stage. 11-1200 a day average gave me 150lb loss. But all our bodies are different.

Last edited:
Flutterby thank you for your reply, 150Lbs is one heck of a loss!!! I understand what you say by we are all different, I can quite easily have 500 cals a day at the moment as its early days but I just didn't want to get into an unsustainable calorific intake. It's all still a bit of a minefield !!!!!

check with your provider as they are all different. Mine suggests max 1000 cals, but my weight loss so far (8 1/2 stone in 8 months) has on averaging 1100-1200 cals, but with a focus on protein and limited carbs

Holy Moley !!! I've got some role models to inspire me on here!!!!! 8 1/2 stone in 8 months!!! Waaaaaaahhh !!!!

Thanks TK I'm currently having 3 x high protien low carb drinks (145 cals each) as my meals daytime and a hearty soup at night but I struggle to do 1000 I think it may be easier when soft food start on Wednesday :)

Don't worry about calorie intake on fluids, if you don't feel you need anything, don't have anything, but make sure you do drink water or something for hydration. You will be surprised how quickly the 1000 cals will go when you start hitting foods, focussing on the protein is something to always move forward with. Even though I have some restriction at this point, for 6 months I didn't have any and was able to eat all foods and in whatever quantity I wanted, careful monitoring of what you do have, such as on myfitnesspal will help immensely and to keep you on track :)

It's weider body shaper they have chocolate vanilla strawberry and cafe latte flavour, simple and easy to take anywhere.

i stuck to about 700 a day although i was never told a amount to stick too i also didnt have to do the liquids to solids to the extent that is seeming to be the norm now i was eating solids within a few weeks id go with wat they recommend you will find your way untill your restricted

I'm glad you asked this- I am nearly 2weeks post op on Saturday and I can then go to nearly normal textures (toast not bread) but I'm struggling about a) quantity and b) calories! Having max 800 a day ATM but not sure if this is right or if I can eat more but less calorific stuff etc?
Provider doesn't have guidelines for either

Moomoo how long did you stay on 700 cals? I've weighed myself this morning and I'm gutted as I've literally dropped a 1llb !!!!! I've followed the the plan to the word and I am GUTTED!!!!!!! I'm ringing the dietician tomorrow :-( was expecting at least 3-4 lbs !!!! I just don't know how much I'm supposed to have I don't want to go into storage mode!

you are still early days post op and low weight loss is often common at This stage, they say with a band average loss is 1-2lb a week so you're on track. Plus you're on very low cal at the moment too so losses can slow until you get back to eating foods an more!

To avoid what you are referring as "storage mode" you are looking to be around a 1000 cals... Don't panic, it's early days and you're only just about to come off liquids.... It's a marathon Hun, not a sprint... :)

Hello ladies, so after 2 weeks of liquid I'm starting mush on Wednesday and I'm a little confused as to how many calories I should be having a day????? I don't want to go into storage mode due to not having enough nor do I want to over do it....... Any advice ?????

At this stage forget any consideration as to how many calories you're taking in. Concentrate on getting the amount of protein in your provider has recommended (Usually 60 to 100g a day depending on who you talk to) each day and then fill up the gaps with carbs. Calorie counting comes much later and isn't anything to worry about in the first few weeks, its Protein that is important and if you're getting enough of that then the calories will take care of themselves at first.

Moomoo how long did you stay on 700 cals? I've weighed myself this morning and I'm gutted as I've literally dropped a 1llb !!!!! I've followed the the plan to the word and I am GUTTED!!!!!!! I'm ringing the dietician tomorrow :-( was expecting at least 3-4 lbs !!!! I just don't know how much I'm supposed to have I don't want to go into storage mode!

i stuck to this for nearly 2 years but as kat said you dont have great loss till you start getting fills , i was just told no bread rice or pasta and i stuck to that, my weightloss was great i lost of 7 stone befor my band failed, it took me about a year to loose that maybe just under but was the second 6months of that year my loss was at its best because i got to the sweetspot , your so early days in your journey , go with weather you feel hungry stop when u feel any fullness or if 20 mins have passed, chew well and remember it takes time xx

At this stage forget any consideration as to how many calories you're taking in. Concentrate on getting the amount of protein in your provider has recommended (Usually 60 to 100g a day depending on who you talk to) each day and then fill up the gaps with carbs. Calorie counting comes much later and isn't anything to worry about in the first few weeks, its Protein that is important and if you're getting enough of that then the calories will take care of themselves at first.

iv never heard of this advice for banders [im prob out of date]

Thank you for the info ladies and gentlemen, TK your right its a marathon not a sprint but its that old "want it now" that's snuck into my world. Karlos I'm doing protein shakes like there my new best friend so I got the protein bit right. I think the hardest part for me is the fact I've brainwashed myself over the years that starvation is good and solid food is bad. I will go with the flow and keep up what I'm doing. Many thanks again

we all want it now Hun, even now 8 months in, I still feel that way. The band doesn't change a lot of our thought processes - if only the band was around our brains lol

It can be hard working to finding a balance. With being ok with what we eat. My aunt said to me today when I said I'd eaten something a. "Treat" last weekend "I thought the band stopped you eating" ummmmm....no it doesn't!!!!

LOL if only the band was around our brain, wouldn't that be great :) I'm so excited for the future and will do and try my absolute best to shed the 5 stone but I suppose I've just got to get into the swing of it all which will take time and be a real learning curve. Thank goodness for this site with all the fantastic "Dalai Lama's " of the weight loss world, you all know your "onions" so to speak and I hope that in 8 months time I can help out the newbies. Thanks TK xxxx

iv never heard of this advice for banders [im prob out of date]

Its less important for banders because the operation is not as invasive as the sleeve/bypass etc, the OP will have been cut open however to get the band/tools in so her body will need higher levels of protein to help her heal properly.

Protein is always the dieters friend as it makes us feel fuller longer so helps prevent grazing or snacking, it also avoids the sugar highs and lows that we get eating more carbs that always lead to inappropriate eating pre op

Good that you're supplementing your protein intake, we really are designed to rip the flesh off the steaming freshly killed carcass of the animal we've just chased through the primeval forest rather than the carbs that have crept into our diets because they taste so chuffin good.

We do need some carbs of course (Our brains as you know can only take energy from carbs no other type of food energy) and you do need to make sure that you're eating enough long term rather than the starvation type diets that we all failed at previously, but in these early days stick with the protein based intake and you'll be fine

Good that you're supplementing your protein intake, we really are designed to rip the flesh off the steaming freshly killed carcass of the animal we've just chased through the primeval forest rather than the carbs that have crept into our diets because they taste so chuffin good.

LMFAO !!! Well put Karlos!!!!

Back