• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss

paulineiw

Six Month Post Op
I am getting really despondent as I have only lost about 7lb in the last 6 weeks, is this normal, I have lost around 4 stone in 4 months, it seems to have really slowed down a lot, hope to start swimming soon which will help but can't walk much as I have rheumatoid arthritis.
Am I being impatient? I am finding there are so many things I can't eat, bread, meat,potatoes, pasta, rice..... only seem able to eat Ryvitas, snack a jacks, cheese, salad, veg, soup and protein shakes
Any ideas? Had the bypass 4 months ago. Everyone says I look great, I get frustrated as I compare my weight loss with others on Minimins and I seem to be losing less than most. I know it's not a race and to lose 4 stone is amazing, just need a bit of reassurance to know I am doing ok! Thanks Pauline

Hi Pauline, as you know I'm a bander so won't be of much help to you but how about trying the 5 day pouch test to see if that kick starts the weight loss again for you. I think you'll find it on the sticky section but hopefully some wonderful bypass mini will be here to help you through this. Good luck sweetheartxxx

I get like that as well pauline, I only lost about 9Lb in 5 weeks but then last week I lost 5Lb in 1 week I surpose it swings in roundabouts. But I know what you mean its sooooooo frustrating isnt it. Ive recently scrapped all carb intake at present and upt my protein to see if it makes a difference.

hi pauline you are doing great! i know it must be disappointing for you with a 7lb loss in 6wks but please dont beat yourself up. alot of people go a few weeks without any weightloss at all at some stage so it does seem normal. i must admit that the weeks i seem to lose the most are the weeks i eat more! so maybe you could try eating little more often? im sure the swimming will help as well, good luck with your future weight loss im sure there'll be plenty!

Pauline your weight loss sounds fine, 4 stone in 4 months is a really good amount!

As for all those foods you can & can't eat:

"I can't eat, bread, meat,potatoes, pasta, rice..... only seem able to eat Ryvitas, snack a jacks, cheese, salad, veg, soup and protein shakes"

All the things in red are things that all post-ops have to go slowly with. Chances are you are not a) chewing 20-30 times per bite, b) your bites are too big - should be no bigger than the rubber on a pencil to start with and c) you may be eating too fast, try putting your fork down between bites. Also make sure whatever meat you have is moist, this where a little sauce or gravy can really be helpful.

All the things in blue are foods that have absolutely no nutritional value and only serve to fill you up so if you are filling up on them, you get less other more nutritional foods in. That does not mean give them up, not suggesting you do that but have a think about why you eat them and see if you can't reduce their frequency in your diet since they actually become slider foods (foods that you can eat alot of because they turn to dust when chewed and slide right out of the stomach). See if a little carb cutting and better eating habits doesn't make you lose weight and allow you greater food variety.

Best of luck,
Nic:p

Youre doing great, and any loss will get you to your goal :) x

Well done on a fab weight loss so far, could it be that maybe ur body just needs time to catch up hence having some slow weight losses and am quite sure if u measure urslef u will be shrinking.
Maybe you can post a few day`s menu`s so the experienced bypass peeps can maybe offer u some advice to poss tweak ur diet to help with your losses.
Pls dont compare ur losses to others we all have different journeys and diff health issues that can contribute to our losses, and also the peeps who have had massive weight losses in the first 5/6 months more than a stone a month are usually a whole lot heavier than you were pre op sometimes 100/150 lbs more than you, and the heavier a person is the faster they will drop the weight.
Take care xxx

Thank You

Thanks all for your replies, makes me feel better knowing you are there!
I really am struggling to eat a well balanced meal, I don't eat fish and meat really seems a no no at present,managed a bit of mince yesterday but can't tolerate anything else. Can eat baked beans ok and cottage cheese etc, are these ok as a protein choice?
Finding I am bingeing, even ate an Eccles cake yesterday which made me really ill!
Any form of carb seems to make me dump at the moment, even a spoonful of mash does it!
Hope it is just a rough patch I am going through otherwise I will have to get in tough with the dietician I guess!
On a positive note.. I have started swimming which is great, don't do a lot but every little helps, had a lot of pain in my left side after the swims, guess that's where the op was and muscles damaged, will keep trying! Thanks again
Pauline :)

Just a thought...

I've never dumped off carbs, but I did dump off some store baught mash in my early days, something I put down to the fat content... Butter in the mash.
If you had butter in it, cut it out, use lowfat marge, I now find I need nothing in it at all but milk :)

The eccles cake is full of sugar, hence the dump - I sometimes dump after no added sugar musli, but only if there are a lot of rasins in it as they have a high sugar (natural sugar) content for there weight, so the eccles cake may be the same.

Its odd cos if I want to I can eat a cookie and not dump - but sometimes I dump from fruit.

Be careful how quick you eat things, if you ate that eccles cake in bits through out the day you prob wouldn't dump, so its more to do with the speed at which its taken in (not that I'm saying you should eat eccles cakes all the time)

Carbs are not your enemy, you need startch to help break down fats, but remember protien comes first.

Cottage cheese is a great choice, especially if its lowfat, I eat baked beans, I buy low sugar low salt.

Just remember go easy, slowly with food.

Try slow cooked meat in sauce, and tiiiiiiny bites. I find chicken cooked in a homepride sauce the easiest (bar mince) to eat, and some of the sauces are very low cal and fat and not bad on carbs :)
If you find you can't manage a certain meat one week, try it again the next, things will change hun :)

Your doing great, keep your fluids up and stay posative, you've already lost a heap of weight and the swimming will really help :)

Xxx

Pauline please don't compare your weight loss to others. There could be a whole host of reasons as to why others seem to lose faster.

Men lose quicker than women, larger people also lose faster as do those that are more active.

Four stones on four months is about right and bang on the hospital recommended weight loss, so please stop worrying.

If you have been following others posts and noticing their weight loss, you will also have noticed that a lot of people also slow down and pic up again. It seems to be the norm. Look at other peoples graphs on here, they all seem to dive at the beginning then level out after a few months.

I do wish some of these surgeons would band together and start doing some surveys, so that people will be able to look at the results for post bypassers and see that things like this are absolutely normal and nothing to worry their heads about.

I'm on about 500 cals a day at the moment and still being sick. Initially I lost tons of weight but its definately slowed down now and I've put that down to the lack of exercise due to the pain, its certainly not because I eat too much. I'm in agony with the Arthritis now the temperature is starting to drop.

Your not alone love.

xx

Back