• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie, confused and scared

Hi Pauline. I'm sure you will be fine. Can I ask what hospital your having it done at? My son was in City Hospital for 12 months and I can't praise them enough.

I'm almost two weeks post bypass. I have Arthritis in both knees, hips and lower spine. I have chronic Asthma and Cranial Hypertension (too much fluid on spine and around brain). All my illnesses put me in the higher mortilaty bracket but I knew the long term prognosis without the op was far worse so decided to go ahead.

I'd be lying if I said it had been plain sailing but can say its nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Bit like having a baby really, at the time the pain is not pleasant but very soon forgotten when you see the results.

As I said I'm now almost two weeks post op and with the pre-op diet have lost a total of 46.02lbs as of this morning.

My dietician said she was expecting a five and a half stone weight loss by the time I go for my six week check up, thats a nice feeling...

We all suffer those anxieties pre surgery but when you consider that the stats were taken right across the board and its the more 30 stone plus patients that are having the problems, at your weight the risks would be less.

Anyway I wish you all the best and please come and let us know how you get on when your well enough.

Bonita

Hi Pauline....I'm awaiting a by-pass op and basically a newbie to this forum but as you have probably read already there is a wealth of sound information from people who have shared the same emotions and concerns about there ops "AS YOU" are so your far from alone...

"Good luck and Take Care".....

Mark

You say you was really crappy at sticking to the pre-op diet? Did it go ok? Did your liver shrink?

I'm in the middle of the pre-op diet and i feel so crap about it at the minute :sigh:

Hi I am having the op done by Mr Byrne, I live on the IOW but can get across the water easily to meet up or I have a holiday chalet in Sandown if you and family needed a break and a bit of beach!!! Pauline, I will be away from the computer until I can drive, going to stay with my 88yr old father till I am mobile EEK!!!!!
Pauline

Hi Pauline, welcome to the gang :)

I have 2 different types of arthritus, psoriatic and lupus, which contribute to me being reg disabled and with very limited mobility. I reached my target weight in just over 9 months. So please don't think it will hold you back because if you get the eating right, you can succeed without the exercise. It might mean you have a little looser skin than someone who exercises regularly but that's a small price to pay.

We have a daily menu's thread for post op bypassers, which will give you an idea of what people eat post op. http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/74487-gastric-bypass-daily-menus.html

I go out for meals quite regularly. You soon learn what are good restaurant options and once you get past the mental block of leaving food on your plate it's fine :)

Bypass surgery is scary, but it's also life changing in so many good ways.

The pre-op diet is unpleasant, but it is perfectly possible to stick to it and follow it 100%. It will help you get your head into a good place for the initial post op diet, and if you don't follow it properly you risk having liver problems during surgery.

You've got a big group here to support you :hug99:

Hi, Shelbel - it is so good to see how you have surpassed your goal. I noticed that your baby is due December 7th. My daughter was born December 7th, 1970. I weighed 183 pounds when I checked into the hospital to deliver her and look forward to reaching that weight again! :)

Back