• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight management courses????

helen144

I have never attended a weight management course through my GP although i have paid to go on lighter life and cambridge diet in the past and had orlistat tablets about 5 years ago obviously all unsuccessful, I cannot go on reductil because they are contraindicated on my medication.

Im hoping to apply for funding to have a gastric bypass, but I have a feeling they will tell me to go on a weight management course with the GP, what is involved in this what diet is it and do they give you medication, I am aware that obviously each GP may differ but im interested to have a few ideas of what they do so I can argue this point in my supporting letter to the PCT.

Thanks
Helen
xxxx

Hi Helen,

I had to do Lifestyle & Weight Management. It is generally run as a course, but I had one-to-one (I'm well special me). I was given the British Heart Foundation diet to follow, and education on portions, fats, proteins, carbs etc. Also looked at my eating habits, triggers etc, and kept food diaries. I found it very helpful actually. Only problem was they didn't realise I wanted surgery, so ended up attending for over 12 months instead of the minimum 3!

Hey iv just been told that I have to do this as well with my nurse, I will go in every week to be weighed and they will give me nutrition help what to eat what not to eat and so on.

Dont know what it will be like with you dr but I live in east manchester and thats what there doing with me.

MMMM I find this type of course a lettle patronising, I dont know what you think, I just feel that we have already acknowledged that our eating and weight needs require more drastic measures such as surgery and I think the majority of people will have attended courses like this several times throughout their lives, surely this is what weight watchers is about, I think its a very brave decision to hold your hands up and say i need weight loss surgery and then being told you have to go on a course like this hhuurrruummmppppphhhh.
I think this kind of course after surgery would be fantastic and also for people who dont have so much weight to lose, I dont know maybe im just exhausted by hearing what i should be eating, I know I eat to much and I know i eat the wrong foods, this kind of thing may work for me for about 2 to 3 weeks then bang the appetite takes over the mind.
Maybe im wrong, I dont know, just frustrated i guess!!!!

It would be interesting to see how many people who have requested surgery no longer wish to have it after being on this course because they have been succesfull at losing and maintaining weight loss.

I attended a lovely course once a week for six weeks, there were about 8-10 of us and we discussed our food issues, I loved it as it educated you that there are no "bad" foods but foods that should be eaten in moderation. It was good to have differnent people all aiming for the same thing, some wanted to lose weight to have a baby others purely to feel fit and healthy. Sadly it did not work with any weight loss for me but it did teach me about no bad foods....xx

MMMM I find this type of course a lettle patronising, I dont know what you think, I just feel that we have already acknowledged that our eating and weight needs require more drastic measures such as surgery and I think the majority of people will have attended courses like this several times throughout their lives, surely this is what weight watchers is about, I think its a very brave decision to hold your hands up and say i need weight loss surgery and then being told you have to go on a course like this hhuurrruummmppppphhhh.
I think this kind of course after surgery would be fantastic and also for people who dont have so much weight to lose, I dont know maybe im just exhausted by hearing what i should be eating, I know I eat to much and I know i eat the wrong foods, this kind of thing may work for me for about 2 to 3 weeks then bang the appetite takes over the mind.
Maybe im wrong, I dont know, just frustrated i guess!!!!

It would be interesting to see how many people who have requested surgery no longer wish to have it after being on this course because they have been succesfull at losing and maintaining weight loss.

Hi Helen,

I know how you feel, I was a little discouraged when my doc sent me to weight management as well. Something you can do for your own benefit and that of your doc is start a journal detailing all the previous diet attempts with times, dates, names, locations or any other details you can think of. Then add a note about how you felt after when you were unsucessful. It may or may not sway your doc or he might want to keep it to forward on. It might help.

Good luck!

I so know how that feels - I have been a bit bloated after surgery, even though I have lost 34lbs I am not comfortable still in some of my clothes. Just know that a few pounds never really shows on the outside, we see it on the inside. Try to remind yourself of your best qualities, and then remind yourself that you are determined to really do something about it this time! That a big step forward chick.

Hugs! And enjoy your night out!:cool:

Back