• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Well ... that's a surprise ... a date!!!

kimgkg

Well, I had a call at lunchtime to say that there was a cancellation on 30th April for a bypass ... did I want it? :D Well ... I jumped at it ... and now my head is in a total spin!!! :confused: Its 19 days away!!! :gen147:

Originally, back when I saw the consultant last October, I was told it was likely to be May/June ... then after Mr Kumar left the Trust in January, it was going to be put back for some months!!! And now ... 30th April!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have been waiting for this since my diabetic consultant and I discussed it back in 2008! But now its here, I have no idea how I feel!

A week on Monday I started the Harcombe diet, and have stuck to it religiously. I have lost 11lbs in 9 days ... and since Friday I have not wanted sweets, bread, cakes, etc. No ... perhaps thats wrong ... what I meant is that I have not CRAVED things with wheat and sugar. I'm actually feeling really well, my sugar levels are the lowest I can ever remember them, and I'm not bothered about picking/snacking! In fact at the weekend I told my other half that I had a feeling in my tummy that I thought was hunger ... I wasn't sure cos I don't think I have ever felt hunger!!! And at meal times I actually felt full ... and left food on my plate!!! Not a lot, admittedly, and to be honest, I still made sure I had the bits I really liked, leaving the bits I wasn't bothered about one way or the other!!

Now I am told to go on the pre op diet tomorrow. I am so tempted just to keep on this diet, after all it is low carb, and its the way I am going to eat after the op ... well, once I am allowed solids!!! :D

I had pretty much stayed away from this site for the last couple of months because it was easier to put it out of my mind rather than dwelling on it ... just popping on once or twice to see how others were doing or to find out more about Heartlands. Now I think I am going to need all the support I can get!! :)

Anyway, just thought I would share my situation ... and welcome anyone's thoughts and comments ... cos each and every one of us on this forum have similar problems, whether watching, waiting, pre-op or post-op!!

Love & hugs

I felt just the same when I got my date one minute it was June then they phoned in April and said did I want my op in 10 days....Course I did then when I got off the phone it was like OMG what have I done.
As for the diet phone the dietitian and ask.
Good Luck

woohoo great news!! good luck :) xxx

Brilliant news Kim its great if you can get a cancellation bet your chuffed, would go on their preop diet just so you can say you have done it and tried to shrink your liver, get your head in gear the time has come xx soon be here xx

That's gr8 news! Congratulations x

God luck. Mine was very quick only had 2 weeks for liver shrinkage diet. But pleased it was so quick so didn't have too much time to dwell on it. Check diet out with your team as it s not just weight loss that is important at his stage but shrinking your liver to allow the surgeons to operate.

There might even be a low carb/fat/sugar pre op diet from your hospital that you could follow. A lot of hospials offer a choice.
Good luck anyway.

Kim

Brilliant as ready suggested check out your current diet with dietitian as whilst your losing weight with it which is great for you it may not be shrinking your liver which is needed to ease access for the op & it could cause problems for your surgeon or even cancel the op if it's not shrunk enough.
Good luck & all the very best to you.

Heartlands pre-op diet options

Kim - not sure what the Harcombe diet is, but I expect it is close to one of the diets below. (You should already have this)

DIET #1 Portioned Controlled Food
Composed of different food groups to give a balanced very low calorie diet.
Daily allowance:-
1 x starchy food
2 x fruit
5 x vegetables
3 x meat / alternatives
2 x milk
1 x fat (optional)

A comprehensive list of portion sizes are listed,
Examples of starchy – 1 crumpet / 1 slice bread/toast / 2 crispbreads /3 small crackers / ½ pitta / 1 small chapatti / 3 tbsp dry porridge oats / 2 egg-sized potatoes / 2 heaped tbsp. cooked rice / pasta / 2 rich tea biscuits / 1 digestive biscuit / 1 small corn on cob / 3 tbsp breakfast cereal

Examples of fruit – 1 med apple / orange/pear/½ banana / 2 apricots or plums / 5oz strawberries, raspberries or blackberries / 3 tbsp tinned or stewed fruit /100mls fruit juice / 1 heaped tbsp. dried fruit / handful of grapes

Examples of vegetables – 3 heaped tbsp cooked veg / 1 side salad / 7 cherry tomatoes / glass tomato juice

Examples of Meat/alt – 100g very lean cooked beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey, liver, kidney, pilchards, salmon etc / 150g cooked white fish/tuna/ tofu/quorn /2 eggs (max 6 per week)/4 tbsp cooked peas,lentils,beans

Examples of Milk – 200mls semi skimmed milk/ 1 small pot diet yogurt/fromage frais/100g cottage cheese/60g low fat soft cheese / 25g hard cheese (eg cheddar,stilton)

Examples of Fat – 1 tsp butter/marge/oil/mayonnaise / 2tsp low fat spread/mayo / 7g nuts (ie 8 hazelnuts or 4 walnuts) / 1 heaped tsp seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame)

DIET #2 MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
Eg Slimfast / Boots Shapers / Tesco Ultraslim

EITHER: - 3 – 4 meal replacement milk shakes, smoothies, soups or bars per day
OR:- 2 meal replacements PLUS Light meal of 300calories of 2 meat + 1 starchy + 2-3 vegetables from Diet #1.

DIET #3 800-1000 CALORIE DIET
Compose your own diet, including fruit and vegetables and as much variety as you can. Keep the starchy carbohydrates and fat to an absolute minimum.

DIET #4 VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS (VCLDs)
Between 450 and 800 calorie \complete menu plans
eg Cambridge diets, LighterLife, Optifast

DIET #5 MILK and YOGURT
1pt Semi-skimmed milk PLUS
8 – 10 125g pots of diet yogurt (around 60kcals per pot) eg Shape, WW, own brands healthy eating

General rules for all diets:-
· Spread food and drink out throughout the day, don’t save it all for the evening.
· Drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day, at regular intervals. No sugar. Avoid alcohol.
· Take a multi-vitamin & mineral tablet daily (chewable / crushable)
· Keep mobile, busy, active.

· Diet plan to be followed up to 6 weeks before operation.

Wow! Fab news + best wishes with your op, kimgkg.

And, also wow! FuturePerfect -- what a comprehensive list of all the pre-op diet options !!!!

Thank you all for your support and comments ... I take it all on board and will phone the dietitian in the morning!!!

Cathi - thank you for the diet details ... and you are quite right I do already have that in the blue Gastric Band folder ... was originally going to have the band with Paul Super, like you, however felt that as I am a sloppy eater :) ie love cottage pie, ice cream etc., that a bypass would be better for me. Therefore I didn't have the Gastric Bypass folder ... am hoping it will be sent with the letter for the pre op date.

Have spent about the last eight hours reading on this forum ... learnt a lot ... but still don't believe that its only 18 days away!!!

Thank you all, again.

Much love

From one Kim to another good luck & yes this forum is the best. X

Are you going to the heartlands support group on the 18th? My op is 28th so I might see you in hospital????
Heather xx

Hi Heather, yes I'll be at Heartlands ... do you think you will still be there? Is Mr Richardson one for the op via laparoscopy ... or does he like to open you up like Mr Kumar used to?

As for the dietician ... well spoke with her and she is happy for me to continue with what I am doing as it doesn't include starches at all ... and no sugars ... apart from natural ones in veg and fruit. Thank goodness for that!!! :)

Love and hugs xxx

Oh, Heather, forgot to say that I doubt I will go on the 18th as Heartlands is quite a way from me, and I have to be there again on the Thursday to see Mr Richardson. I will certainly try to go after the op. xxx

Yes my op is with mr Richardson and I am sure that as it is on a Saturday, I will still be there by the Monday. You have to look out for me.. My name is Heather and I will be the big fat 63 year old blonde.. who incidently will not be fat much longer.... LOL

Back