• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WGA

cherry23

I am having a gastric band fitted next month at dolan park hospital in bromsgrove, i was just wondering if anyone else has had surgery here, and if so what was your experience like, They all seemed really lovely at the consultation and although i am really looking forward to it , i am also very very anxious and nervous.:)

I can't help you with the hospital Cherry, but I can help you with any questions about the band - I had mine fitted in Norwich on Monday - for me it has been a great experience, very little pain and I am thrilled it is now done and I can start looking forward. Check out my thread "The Secret Diary of a Gastric Bander" - I have put details of my op experience on there if it helps. Being anxious and nervous is only natural, but you will be in good hands and on the losing side before you know it. If you want to look at other Banders threads, Lovebug and Alice have also recently have bands fitted. Hope this helps x

Hi Cherry,

I had my band a week ago at Dolan Park with Martin Richardson. I can't post much right now but do feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them later :)

Alice xx

ooh Alice ive just read your story , so sorry to hear about your treatment by the nurses at dolan park, how awful. im a little worried now as i have to come home on the train on my own and to be turfed out at that ridiculous time would be terrible. They told me at my consultation that i would be discharged at around 8.30 ish to 9 oclock in the morning.oh well on a more positive note i think that you, lovebug and alliecat are all marvellous and am so gratefull to people like you that post your stories so frankly and honestly, so that people like me and others waiting for surgery have an insight as to what to expect, thanks ladies. Anyway im going now as got loads to do, please keep posting about all the ups and downs that you are all experiencing as it really helps alot .:):) i think your all so brave:)

Hi Cherry,

I kind of wish I hadn't written negative stuff on here about my experiences at Dolan Park because it's not what you want to hear right before you go in yourself!! All of my complaints are to do with the "fluffy" aspects of my care. The actual operation and anaesthetist and medical stuff was top class and very professional. I just wanted to feel a bit more cared for. I think on the WGA package, the aftercare is a bit rubbish too so don't be afraid to ask. My experience is that with them, if you don't ask, you don't get.

I would think again about travelling home by train. I felt very fragile on my journey home. I think the hospital has a transport service. Perhaps you could ask your advisor about that?

Good luck and welcome to the Banders Brigade!! :)

Alice xx

wga, dolan park

Hi Cherry, I'm in he same boat as you!!, waiting for my consultation next week having operation at dolan park with wga, let me know when you are going and how you get on and I'll do the same. Any info about the surgeon etc... would be great.

I am having a gastric band fitted next month at dolan park hospital in bromsgrove, i was just wondering if anyone else has had surgery here, and if so what was your experience like, They all seemed really lovely at the consultation and although i am really looking forward to it , i am also very very anxious and nervous.:)

Hi Cherry, I am having my op at Dolan Park same date as you. Would love to chat. I am terrified but very determined.

Cheryl x

Hi everyone,im also having a band fitted at doland park on the 29th of aug,looks like they are going to be pretty busy that day.
One thing that i've been wondering about is where they put the port to fill the band as it seems it can vary in different hospitals

HI POPPO AND CHEERIO , YES 29TH OF AUGUST SOUNDS QUITE BUSY AT DOLAN PARK, LIKE YOU POPPO I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHERE THEY PUT THE PORT. ARE YOU BOTH GOING TO BE DOING THE MILK DIET AND IF SO WHAT DATE ARE YOU STARTING IT. I WENT TO THE DOCTORS TODAY JUST FOR A CHAT REALLY ABOUT WHAT IM DOING AND THEY WERE QUITE SUPPORTIVE . iM GETTING QUITE NERVOUS ABOUT IT NOW BUT ALSO CANT WAIT. MR SIGURDSSON IS MY SURGEON ALSO. hOPE YOUR CONSULTATION GOES WELL ANGELS, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON CHERRY:)

I am going to see Mr Sugurdsson on Monday so will find out about the pre op diet then. Does anyone know what time we have to arrive? I will be travelling down from manchester on the train and the earliest i can get there is 9.30am. I can't stay over the night before anywahere as I have kids and no hubby.

Cheryl x

hi cheerio, i have been told to arrive at dolan park at between 7am and 7.30 so i am staying overnight in bromsgrove as there is no way i could get there for that time from home. have you been told you have to do the milk diet foe 2 weeks, cos i was told to do it for 7 days.:)

Hi Cherry, 7 days for the milk diet. Where are u going to stay I might have to do the same as there is no way I can get there for 7 in the morning.

Hi guys,

I had my band at dolan park last month. I think they admit everyone having surgery that day at 7ish. On my op day, there were about 20 people in reception waiting to be admitted!!

I did the milk diet for 7 days, lost 11lbs doing it, and had no probs with my liver being too big!

Hope that helps xx

hi cheerio, i am staying at the ladybird lodge, which is about 2 mins from train station in bromsgrove. Angela how did you get on at your consultation and what is your op date ?:)

I have just tried to book into the Ladybird Lodge for the night before surgery (28/08) but they are now full (probably with pre banders). I have managed to get a room at the Toby Innkeepers Lodge for £40 which isnt bad (no discount for not taking breakfast lol). Its a bit further out so will be a taxi ride in the morning. It seems very real when you start making arrangements to travel etc. It sometimes feels a bit of an obsession as the op is on my mind as I fall asleep then pops into my mind as I wake. I then spend any spare time I have at work researching the damn thing on the net. Maybe its just me !!

Cheryl x

I have just spoken to my local district nurses regarding post op wound care. She said I can self refer (whether I am private or NHS) and if I ring them the day I come home and tell them I have had an operation they will then call to see me for a few days to check my wounds and redress them. I think this is very reassuring as the aftercare from WGA is so limited.

when I had the bypass my wounds were covered with a waterproof dressing, and I was given enough to change them so didn't need to see a nurse until it was time for my staples to come out. Went to the local gp's for that no problems.

it's great that they are willing to help out, but not sure you'll need it!

Hi
I had my band fitted at Dolan Park on the 8th August so I'm into my second week of post op liquid diet. Mine was done by Mr Sigurdsson although it was supposed to have been Mr Richardson but he had been held up in his NHS hospital. The nurse said I could come back another day but as I had come up from Dorset and had stayed overnight at the Ladybird Lodge, I didn't want to go home without it.
Anyway having starved since about 10 o'clock the previous night, I finally went down at 5pm. At least I got to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in my nice room...
I agree with previous threads, the aftercare is a bit rubbish as I left with no wound care instructions, a vague letter telling me about post op appointments that don't exist and a letter for my GP that was printed on terrible marked paper. It really didn't seem very professional.
However, the care while I was there was really good and I can't fault the surgeon or the anaesthesis or the nurses. All first class I thought.
I still don't have any post op appointments and I have no information on having fills done. I will be calling tomorrow though as I need to plan.
I feel fine now and really like the feeling of control that I have with the band. Long may it last.

Welcome to Mini's Canuck :) Glad your op went well, there are a few banders here who have had to find their own fills so I'm sure they'll be around to let you know what they found.

Welcome to Minis Canuck, not had a fill yet, but am now 5 weeks post op so if there is anything else I can help with just shout - everyone here is friendly and supportive and we all have the same aim in mind! Hope you are feeling well, and good luck on your continuing journey x

Back