• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What a difference a 'few stone' makes!

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
I'm nearly six months post surgery and have lost almost six stone.

Friends and family have commented on my weight loss and they all say "wow, you must feel so much better for losing the weight".

But what they don't understand, because none of them are or have been morbidly obese, is just how different I feel physically and sometimes it's the little things that I notice the most.

For example, I can now feel my ribs and hip bones, my chin no longer hits my chest when I look down, I can undo my own bra, tie my own shoelaces and even cut my own toenails, my knees hurt when I lie in bed because there's no fat cushioning them anymore, I can cross my legs, wear a woman's watch and last week, I ordered a pair of shoes off the catalogue, only to discover they are way too big for me!

So I was wondering, what changes did you notice as you lost weight and what was the biggest/most important thing that meant the most to you?

I'm nearly six months post surgery and have lost almost six stone. Friends and family have commented on my weight loss and they all say "wow, you must feel so much better for losing the weight". But what they don't understand, because none of them are or have been morbidly obese, is just how different I feel physically and sometimes it's the little things that I notice the most. For example, I can now feel my ribs and hip bones, my chin no longer hits my chest when I look down, I can undo my own bra, tie my own shoelaces and even cut my own toenails, my knees hurt when I lie in bed because there's no fat cushioning them anymore, I can cross my legs, wear a woman's watch and last week, I ordered a pair of shoes off the catalogue, only to discover they are way too big for me! So I was wondering, what changes did you notice as you lost weight and what was the biggest/most important thing that meant the most to you?

Well done Purplepansyem on your achievements.
I am only at the beginning of my journey, too be able to put my own socks on is an achievement.

Well done on the weight loss so far

So many differences, I now put my knickers on normally not by lassoing them round 1 leg, I could always cut my own toenails and do up my shoes, but not whilst breathing lol, now I can walk up stairs without stopping, turn over in bed without using the headboard to heave myself over, I can reach the middle of my back if I have an itch, I can put my socks on standing up.

I can squat when talking to a student so I don't block their view and my heels touch my ass.

I can squat when talking to a student so I don't block their view and my heels touch my ass.

I read that and just had to try it, much to the amusement of my O/H, yup another 1 on the list :D

I can feel confident my bottom can weave in and out of a dining area..
Without my bottom clipping somebody's meal/table and it all crashing to the floor!
And not being wedged in a dining chair...I used to dread eating out because of these situations,not anymore!

Well done!!

I relate to all of the above as well as some others: less facial sweating so my makeup stays on better; actually being able to run (newly discovered after running to catch a train!); less fear of unknown situations where I didn't know if I'd fit in chairs/past other tables; I can now wear heels and survive :) ; I can shop in Topshop for the first time in 10years! Being able to dry off my body better after a shower/bath.

My social life has improved dramatically as I no longer want to hide at home. There's so many lovely things that I've newly discovered. The most important of all is my smile is back :)

Super well done for all your achievements!xx

I love being able to get out the couch in one go and being able to get off the floor with out an assault course to climb up and hold on to x

Well done on the six stone loss...

Here is one..at 13 stone I took my dog for a walk...now at 8st 7lbs my dog takes me for a walk, he weighs 6 stone and drags me along, i have to use a head collar on him as I physically cannot stop him now!!!

My list of great things
1.walking,...I love it! I walk at least 30 mins each and every morning rain or shine , find waiting at bus stops so boring now better with head phones on listening to zumba music, makes me walk that little bit quicker!
2.bed doesnt creak when I get in/turn over
3.wearing boots! Wouldnt fit around my calfs, now have 4 pairs
4.sitting in a single seat on the bus I feel amazing every time I do it
5.picking up a different colour hanger in evans from size 32 to size 24!
Enjoying not missing food , meaning the amount of food I use to eat just enjoying the amount of food I do eat
6.family and friends been supportive and enjoying my changes too
7.been on here! Without you guys I dont know where I would be without all your support, guidance I will always be thankful
8. Smaller knickers and bras! Still makes me smile everytime I open my knicker drawer!
Im sure ive got more to add but thats enough for now!

Well done on the six stone loss... Here is one..at 13 stone I took my dog for a walk...now at 8st 7lbs my dog takes me for a walk, he weighs 6 stone and drags me along, i have to use a head collar on him as I physically cannot stop him now!!!

Karina. I'm the same with my wee rotti too. She has always had more pulling power than my shepherds even though she is smaller. I think it's her centre of gravity being lower or something...but she actually had me on my ass the other day...I'm a cruel mum. I resorted to a prong collar ;-)

Kirsty it's not funny is it!! My mums has been pulled over twice by her shepherd! You can be hurt!
It doesn't help that they are pulling on all fours, much more strength than us!!

Los in it...I love your list!!!

I have a special chair at work and yesterday I looked like one of the borrowers, it was massive my bum was in the middle of it and not hanging over the edges, I've stopped using two sticks most of the time when walking. I'm also walking a bit quicker. I can get of the couch without being pulled up. I can bend my left leg to cut my nails. For the first time in years I danced on Sunday to Bette Middler new CD I had for Christmas, was singing one leg mor than the other but you can't have everything. It's a great feeling :)

Great post PurpleP . Things i notice most are my neck bone hip bones . My double chin doesn't hang down so much now and so my neck doesn't feel sweaty in the fold. I love all the compliments have kept me so happy. Im able to run up and down the stairs easier i can walk further now with out sitting down fir a break or a breath!! Lol im able to dance more now and twirl my hips something that i felt difficult being bigger. My breasts don't give me so much back ache as now they are shrinking.
Im more interested in clothes shopping as i am now able to go into different shops to shop (in fact I have become addicted!!!) im hoping that i will be able to wear high shoes again as my weight decreases. Just love being SLIMMER and im glad i had the surgery. X

Brilliant posts, really inspiring me. Can't wait to experience these things myself in a few months. Well done and thank you :)

Oh I had to laugh at some of these!!
Thank you Purplepansyem for the post :)

I can remember some of them myself from many years ago when I managed to lose a lot of weight. Alas, the weight has long since piled back on so they are nothing but a distant memory now..... Or hope for the future..... :)

I am loving all the new things everyone had been able to do post op. I now want to speed forward to be able to feel the same! X

Only 5 weeks post op and lost over 2 and half stone, but already......prior to surgery, when I leant forward to see in bathroom mirror stomach used to slide over edge of sink and kind of plop into basin for a rest, :( not anymore! Can cut and paint own toenails, can get out of car without knee killing me, can get into car without physically lifting legs in, don't get desperate to remove bra at end of day, strange back fat disappeared, so many changes in such a short time, bring on the rest!

Back