• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are your triggers and dangerous places to be in?

You are probably going to find that bread is not a good choice in the way you used to have it.
I can't comment about bypassers, but for banders it can swell within the pouch and if it's doughy and soft/and or crunchy and dry it often gets stuck, so being sick and the pain of it sticking is a good deterrent.

Yum Yums, yet another of my weaknesses lol. I've only had half of one once since my op and felt so guilty i haven't repeated the offence. (not to say i won't in the future though !!)
Bread is my arch enemy. I've just been round the supermarket, made sure my pouch was full of coffee beforehand and never waivered once. However, have been to the deli to buy hubby an uncut organic crusty loaf to go with his salad tea and can feel my resolve weakening and know for a fact that i'm about to go cut a slice off to have with some butter.
Good thing is i can only fit one slice in and will be stuffed for ages on it. Unlike the old days when i would have eaten half the loaf.
Some bypassers struggle with bread but unfortunately i don't. I wish i did ! But at lease i can't eat much now, so all is not lost.

Yum Yums, yet another of my weaknesses lol. I've only had half of one once since my op and felt so guilty i haven't repeated the offence. (not to say i won't in the future though !!)
Bread is my arch enemy. I've just been round the supermarket, made sure my pouch was full of coffee beforehand and never waivered once. However, have been to the deli to buy hubby an uncut organic crusty loaf to go with his salad tea and can feel my resolve weakening and know for a fact that i'm about to go cut a slice off to have with some butter.
Good thing is i can only fit one slice in and will be stuffed for ages on it. Unlike the old days when i would have eaten half the loaf.
Some bypassers struggle with bread but unfortunately i don't. I wish i did ! But at lease i can't eat much now, so all is not lost.

Arrgghhhh !!! I am so jealous, I want a piece of your husbands crusty bread with butter on.
:eek:
Lynne x

What a good thread!

My triggers are usually emotional - even 1 year post op I still haven't really addressed the emotional side of my relationship with food. I cope with it by strictly not allowing myself to eat anything like bread and anything sugary in any quantity. I do suffer dumping, which does help keep me away from these choices.

I sometimes struggle to understand what I actually do feel, as I don't really ever feel hungry. I have to ask myself if I'm actually hungry or am I lonely, thirsty, tired?

For me it's an almost overwhelming need to get something sweet and I know that I will feel sedated and well as soon as I've eaten it. I guess the chocolate provides a nice buffer.
But when I manage to ignore the need to binge I generally find that it's not as hard as I expected. Ok right now I could murder a family size bar of Aero but I don't have any in the house and I know that the craving will go away in a few minutes if I just occupy myself with something else. I'm not hungry. I've just had a bowl of soup. So I know it's purely emotional.

[stern voice] Your need to stop this obsessing right now ! When you come out of theatre your life will change so much – even if you are locked in M & S Food Store over night you will do the right thing . . . believe me the desire for foods once eaten will be outweighed (poor choice of words) by the thought of throwing away all you have done to get thus far . . . and if you are a bypass then cheating is not quite as easy !

If I was locked in M&S foodhall overnight, the first thing I'd do is put up signs banning OAPs.

Wizzbang - I feel exactly the same as you re bread - nothing (and I mean nothing !) tastes as good if it's not got a piece of bread wrapped around it, with the utterly butterly and probably a huuuggge lump of cheese.

I love dry Ready Brek and uncooked stuffing ! I put twice as much Ready Brek as I need into a bowl, add the sugar and then eat half of it while the milk is boiling! I also make the stuffing up with boiling water and then eat it before cooking it. Yum Yum haha

We must remember that if we had good control of our eating habits then we would not be here would we ?

And at least we are all trying to do something about it so lets not beat ourselves up too much xxxx

Being almost 2 yrs post op I would say knowing your triggers are essential when you can eat normally the old demons are still there and if you know what they are and can find another way of dealing with them in the early post op days it will be so much easier the further out you get. If they could operate on your brain at the same time then this thread wouldn't be needed, we have to find our own ways of deling with food demons bypass or banind is just a tool to make it easier to find a way of dealing with issues.

For me I eat when I get upset and I eat when things don't go my way, I eat when I'm bored. It was easy earlier post op but know it gets harder as the days go by. I would strongly recommend people take conselling if offered as if it can help pin point your triggers your half there to dealing with them.

I really like this thread, I'm going to give it a load of **** 's.
Lynne x

If i was constantly out and about doing stuff i enjoyed, i think i'd be skinny ! Unfortunately its those moments when i'm either bored or stressed (which are scarily frequent some weeks !) that are my undoing.
Also i might be skinnier if i was rich, as i'd live on fresh fish and prawns!
Ah well, i'll just keep fighting the demons

With regards to being locked in M&S i fear that i would just eat my way through the palmiers in the bakery section lol
And finally i failed to resist, i did have some of the crusty bread for my tea with some parma ham. It was lush ! I shall go to bed in shame now lol !!!

No one liked bread more than me,my last meal before surgery was toast!I had my op 8 weeks ago and have not had a sandwich,toasted Nimble 1 slice with an egg about twice per week in the last couple of weeks.No chips,sweets,pastry,cakes,choclate,jam,cream etc and I dont give them a second thought.I am concerned I am losing muscle not weight,protein hard to get in and liquids not very good,but I was never a big drinker.I have had about 10 mugs of tea or coffee in two months!Im drinking lime water.My skin is dry so will keep upping it.My trigger was watching late tv and snacking,I always rewarded myself if I had finished the ironing or done the shopping!Maz x

Does surgery make your skin drier then? I already have flaky dry skin. Also why do eggs give people such problems afterwards, I would have thought they slipped down nicely - shows what I still have to learn!

Great thread, my downfall was bread too so I am hoping I can tolerate it but be sensible and not have too much.
I haven't had a problem with any food yet and that includes eggs I have had them scrambled and egg Mayo and both have been fine and I am 4 weeks post op

I am just starting to tolerate bread i can do 1 slice with a sandwich and 2 slices at a push toasted. Eggs I still can't do unless its in a spponful of eggfried rice or an egg in a cup (boiled egg smashed with butter and red sauce) and only had that last week fir my breakfast. Fried, boiled or poached go down but within minutes my pouch rejects them.

I love eggs too, but they tend to get stuck on me as well, some people seem OK others have problems (this is across the board with any op I think)
I think maybe because of the slightly rubbery texture? The whites have that depending on how you cook them, it's more noticeable sometimes for me with scrambled egg and omlette.
I absolutely love poached egg on toast but it's like too risky!

Wow I still can't get my head round the egg issue, I would have thought scrambly egg slipped down easy, and maybe too easy as its on the way to sloppy semi solid food.

I can relate to this thread for 2 reasons, firstly pre op I was starting to become an emotional / boredom eater and secondly because my OH eats more or even binges (secretly - so he thinks) when stressed, happy, angry or sad. Early on post op I hit an emotional spot but was too scared to 'eat' and really struggled to get my head around that and what to do instead. I think I just cried in the end!

My OH was seeing the weight management team to hopefully get a referrel eventually (nearly impossible with our pct) for WLS. Some how he got thrown off the programme by alledgedly missing an appointment - needless to say we didnt know about it and it hasnt done him any favours! :cry:

I do have some experience of CBT and have seen that it can work. If this is offered to you pre or post op its got to be worth a try :confused:

I chose to give up rice and pasta which were my downfalls pre op, also bread which I could take or leave because they can all be problematic for post op banders.

Any potential triggers are know dealt with for me by either walking with or fussing one of my dogs or helping my daughter with her reading, writing or anything :D

Footnote - I can eat eggs in any form thank goodnes being a non meat eater - I need the protein x

Hi, having just been to my group meeting, the nurse said "you will never eat a piece of crusty bread again?" - too shy to ask why - is it just that it is too doughy? Also, why can you not have fizzy drinks after a bypass? Is it about the gas? The thought of never drinking champagne again is a bit daunting!! Although the thought of being slim is far more appealing. Great thread guys xx

Back