• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what do you eat in an average day - after band

hjm

hi - i was banded 5 months ago and have had a pretty rough ride since. almost to the extent that i dont know why i bothered... :-(

was wondering what you guys eat in an average day (those of you who have been banded).

so that i can see whats the 'norm'.

at the mo i can pretty much eat freely. i do have to be a bit wary, but portion sizes can be big. have had about 10 fills, but still not 'hit the spot'....

would really like to know what you guys - whether new bands, or near goal weight - what you eat in a day.

thanks! Hx

sorry - was just thinking. would also be good to know that, hypothetically speaking....

if you HAD to see how much you could eat in one go. for example toast and jam. how many slices could you eat before you hit restriction / vomm / pain etc.....

i managed 6 slices the other night - and although that was naughty full stop, im almost positive that that shouldnt be possible?!

pls help....

how many slices of toast could you eat if you had to.....

thanks! Hx

Hi H there is a thread on here called daily band menues where we banders post what we ate daily,, do you have any kind or restriction ? what size band do you have and how much fill is in your band is the bigger portioned meals more sliders than dryer dense foods as the food choices effect the amount us banders can eat, it can all depend on the food choices we make each day its hard work it is.

Liz x

Hi there,

Today I ate

Cup of tea for breakfast
Crayfish and mango salad (3/4's)
A few gummy sweets at the cinema (possibly 10)
Bottle of water 750ml
Weight Watchers Chicken Hot Pot
1 small bowl Grape Nuts cereal with 2 tablespoons trail mix from waitrose

2 x Cups of tea and plenty of other fluids

i dont know what size band i have in - and have forgotten how much is in. i think its about 11mls. but not sure. im getting another fill on mon so will ask.

i do have some sort of 'restriction' - well, im not sure i would say restriction. but i have defo noticed difference since before band. but i can still get ....well, see my above post. 6 slices of toast in one sitting. there is more chewing than there prob was before the band, but im not 'liquidising mars bars' (as my surgeon told me is a cheat!!)....

i just want to not be able to over eat.... :-(

(ps - found the diary link bit, thanks. )

sorry - was just thinking. would also be good to know that, hypothetically speaking....

if you HAD to see how much you could eat in one go. for example toast and jam. how many slices could you eat before you hit restriction / vomm / pain etc.....

i managed 6 slices the other night - and although that was naughty full stop, im almost positive that that shouldnt be possible?!

pls help....

how many slices of toast could you eat if you had to.....

thanks! Hx

hi i can eat 1 slice of toast only, if you can eat 6 slices after 10 fills theres 2 options either the band is knackered or you have stretched the pouch allowing the capacity to be consumed, id recommend a xray fill to see whats gone wrong x

In answer to your hypothetical question, I would not have jam anyway, tooo many calories and no nutrition. I either have set honey or marmite or cheese. If I ever have a slice of toast (which I was advised against eating bread anyway) its one slice (sometimes only get 1/2 in and have to stop)...and this is not every week.

i hope its not stretched.

at my last fill my surgeon did suck the saline out (most of it) to check that it hadnt leaked. ive never had an xray or suchlike after the op. i'll tell him on monday that i can eat 6 toasts (even tho i'll feel like a plank for even trying....).

if i dont chew my food properly, or if i forget about the band and eat a few mouthfuls without thinking....then i defo feel restriction, and it comes back up etc. which makes me think that its not stretched. cos i have thought about that.

im just feeling really low about it. i have lost 30lbs is, maybe 35. but almost nothing in the last month / month and a half. or just a few pounds.

i just dont feel like it was worth it....so to speak. and i want to. im not looking for a miracle and to wake up tomorrow and be kate moss.....jst to be able to see results and not eat freely. cos if i can i will......even tho i know i shouldnt.

aaargh - im having a crap day i guess.

sorry x

hjm a fill under xray is needed to see whats happened if any thing the band is not there to let you freely its only a tool and we have to work with the band to get results, if we abuse it then it wont work long term, as i say i suggest a xray fill also a consult with a dietician are you a nhs or a private patient ?

Okay, so things have not gone so well but from Monday why not just start again.

You know you haven't been working hard with your band, accepting that is good and means you can move on.

I have fallen off the wagon a bit too and I am looking forward to next fill. I am going to start again from that date too with monitoring food and doing more exercise.

I am sorry if I sound a little tough, but thats what we have to be with ourselves. the band does not do the work, it is their to remind us we cannot obuse the gift we have been given. it does work, it just takes committment from us and a determination. We will all fall off the wagon now and then, we are only human.

But please for the sake of your band, do not attempt to eat 6 slices of toast coz you can. You know you can't. Even a normal person would not do that.

just put this down to a hiccup and start again.

Being a bander, its a slower journey but one we will complete eventually...

hi - yeah i know its not a quick fix and i have to work with it. but my 'journey' so far has not even been remotely what i would have thought. if i could have had a time machine 5 months ago and seen me sitting here on a sat night crying and to have had the journey ive had so far. i would not have paid my money and had the op.

i know that i have to work with the band - but at the moment there is far too much will power needed for me to manage. if i had no will power before the band, why the hell would i pay thousands of pounds to be left with a few restrictions on what i can eat and still have to exert the same amount of will power to try and stop eating as before.

i thought that having the band would restrict what i could physically put in my mouth (liquidised mars bars aside!) and thus if i couldnt put it in my damn mouth i wouldnt eat it.

but thats not been the case at all.

why would paying thousands of pounds to have a donut put round my stomach suddenly give me iron will power - it should give me the power to physically not be able to eat as much as i could before, therefore remove temptation.

if i knew i couldnt eat 6 slices of toast i wouldnt. i wouldnt try and shove it down if i knew fine well id be pushed to manage one.

thing i have noticed since the band....

im hardly ever hungry. i have to chew my food. i have to eat a lot slower. i cant manage dry things as well. meat is a pain in the ass to chew so i dont bother. if i have cold water first thing in the morning my stomach seems to spasm and it doesnt go down easily.

so - yes there has been something from the band. but being a binge eater at teh best of times....that hasnt been stopped by the band. not completely anyway. i certainly dont eat half as much now when i binge as what i did before.

i very much appreciate the stern approach.....i need it! but im still dissapointed with it letting me eat what i can. :-( x

Personally I struggle with bread so I cant really say how much I would be able to eat in one go, but it would not be very much. Perhaps 1 slice if I was really hungry.

I agree with what both Caz and Liz have said regarding the fill under Xray. It is a must to find out what is going on with your band. If your provider wont give you one then you must insist as it is their duty of care to make sure everything is ok for you.

For now, I would suggest looking at the Daily Bander Menus
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/103934-band-daily-menus.html

Let us know how you get on :)

so - yes there has been something from the band. but being a binge eater at teh best of times....that hasnt been stopped by the band. not completely anyway. i certainly dont eat half as much now when i binge as what i did before.

Hi there , I noticed u wrote your a binge eater, was u not told/offered a bypass ?? I am under the impression bypass works better with binge eaters

All the best - MeJulie x x

i will be asking him about xray etc. i can hazard a guess that he is going to tell me to see how i get on with the fill on monday and take it from there.

the last fill i had, he did originally put in 1ml more than is in now. and i couldnt drink the few mouthfuls of water whilst i was there. so approx 1ml was taken out, and the water would go down.

however, from 'getting to know my band' a bit more - the water i was drinking was kinda cold, and i know now that my band / stomach seem to cringe a bit when cold water hits it. so maybe i was just reacting to the cold water rather than the band being too full. if you know what i mean.

its interesting to see your stats too bex - you look around about my age (im late 20s), and were same weight as me. youve lost more than double me, although you only have 2 months longer than me. i know its not a race. but id be lying if i said i wasnt a bit pi**ed at 30lbs in 5 months.....and obsiously with the probs im having finding the optimum band fill too.

grumble! thanks tho. x

bypass for sweet tooths. band for big portion size.

thats what i was told by my bariatric surgeon, and others. x

bypass for sweet tooths. band for big portion size.

thats what i was told by my bariatric surgeon, and others. x

Hi again, Yes I know that but they are also for binge eaters too , thats why I asked if u was offered bypass because u mentioned about ur binge eating ,.

Thanks for ya reply - All the best - MeJulie xx

its interesting to see your stats too bex - you look around about my age (im late 20s), and were same weight as me. youve lost more than double me, although you only have 2 months longer than me. i know its not a race. but id be lying if i said i wasnt a bit pi**ed at 30lbs in 5 months.....and obsiously with the probs im having finding the optimum band fill too.

grumble! thanks tho. x

30lbs in 5 months is not bad going!
You have been given some great advice by the resident banders above. Persevere with it and you'll get the results you are after :)

HJM who is your providor ? nhs private ?

Hi hjm, Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time of it.

I had mine in end of September and had resriction from just having it in, without any fill until end of November.

I know all providers give different instructions but i had to stay on liquids for 3 wks then, go on soft foods for another couple of weeks.

When i started to eat solid foods, i felt a hard knot /fistin my upper chest/throat warning me to stop .
Once this happened, i stopped but was so frustrated because i wanted to eat more but was told to stop as soon as i felt this.

I also got angry at first, with myself and others as they could eat what they wanted and i could,nt apart from paying for things i was intending to eat.

Anyway back to you, did you have fluids 3 days before and 3 days after each fill or similar as a numberof us get those instructions?

Are you eating the more solid types of foods not the slider ones?

Drinking with meals ?

As for bread, i do have some but can't eat very much maybe 1/2 a sandwich, but then get that food is backing up sensation.
Are you having a lot of butter making it a slider food ?
Going to support group?

I have had 2 fills first one 5.5mls in small 9 mls Allergan band.
Second one last week .5mls (now 6 mls)

I can't eat a lot of chicken, beef, tomato, apple and definteley can no longer snatch and grab, as anything I rush and don't chew,I suffer with and bring it back rapidly.
I have done 4 times.( old habits die hard.)

I dont know enough about the bands functioning but Liz,Caz, Mazza, and others have a greater experience than myself so the advice seems good to me re the xray had mine before first fill . Keep posting Mia

Back