• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do you say to people when they ask how you lost the weight...

Sappho

I know it is early days for me but I am wondering what I am gonna say to people when they start to comment on my weight loss and ask how I have done it. I really dont want my op common knowledge, not cos I am ashamed just because I am a private person, but I dont want to lie either?

I tell them the truth. I am so proud of what I have done! I havent had ANY negative responses to telling people. All of my friends and work colleagues are between 18 and 30 years old so you would imagine they would be the age group that wouldnt understand my choice, but they have! Everyones been great for me! But i understand if you want to keep it private.... you could always just say you have been on a really strict low cal diet..... x

This is one I am trying to figure out too. I am incredibly private and I don't like the idea of telling people something so personal.

Do you think people's reactions differ depending on whether you're male/female?

Interesting thread! I'm 3 weeks post op and have only yesterday started telling people what I have had done, and that's only if they ask. People comment on my weight and I thank them and leave it at that. But if they go on to ask how I'm doing it, I'll tell them the truth. Thus far I've only told 2 people, one today and one yesterday. Their reactions were good, they were very interested in the op. It's not that I'm ashamed to tell anyone, not at all, I just don't feel the need to tell anyone unless they ask. It's probably all round the school playground by now without me even realising lol!! :rolleyes::D

Cuppa xx

I have actually surprised myself by being honest when people have asked if I have lost weight. People I have told have been supportive and not judgemental at all.

My original intention was to tell close friends and family and then those that needed to know eg my line manager.

Just an idea , you could tell them u cut back on food and eating less. which wouldnt be a lie would it ,lol

all the best - MeJulie xx

I made the mistake of telling people that i was gonna have surgery and 2 have been really rude about it, so i have also made the decision not to share with anyone except on here. I am just gonna tell people i started eating less and moving more. Its not a lie cos thats whats gonna happen xx

I told a few close friends and family members about the surgery but others that ask I tell them that I have cut out the junk (take-aways and sweet stuff), eating 3 meals a day and eating a high protein diet. All this is true and saves me from negative comments which I have heard some make over people having surgery.

I only told my close family and everyone else I have said that I have cut down my intake of food, reduced my intake of carbs, cut out the junk food, and started exercising. All of which are true ....

I think the difficult part is when they ask you the amount of weight lost - I try to side step the subject cos if I say about 7 stones it makes it obvious that I was really heavy as I still have a fair bit of weight to lose.

I've just been telling people I have cut back and have stopped snacking in between meals. So far no one has noticed any different. Anyway its the truth they just don't know how I have the willpower to do this!!

i told everyone wat i was doing cause thats me just very chatty and cant keep myown secrets, other peoples are diferent they are not mine to tell, the suport ive had as` been wonderfull and as `really kept me going .................kath x

I told only my close friends and my Personal Trainer.

I am regretting that I told my manager :(:( cuz I am sure he will tells everyone :( since he is the one who update me with the new gossip at the gym:(

I am telling people that i am only on liquid diet :D:D.

I'm happy to tell anyone & everyone, i haven't had any negative comments yet but tbh i wouldn't care if i did i'd just tell em to sod off....My life my money - Their problem!!!:p:p:p

I have told some people who I knew wouldn't judge or be negative about it, but others I have just said I have made a radical change to my lifestyle and left it at that.
I'm now 6 months post op and it seems everyone I come across comments about my weight and how have I lost it ect ect It's nice but I do feel under scrutiny!:)

Hi,

i'm not telling anyone other than immediate family. If anyone else asks I'll just say I've cut back and trying to be more healthy - which is also true ;)

No one has asked yet though :cry:

x

Good answers, thanks :) I think I will just say I have made a lifestyle change and leave it at that! The other thing I thought of is what if you are having a meal with someone who doesnt know, eating so little and so slowly!

Just don't make a big deal when your out having a meal - when i go out with my husband it takes me the same time to eat the little i do to his rather large meal - i just take my time and so far you wouldn't think anything about it x

I just say swimming and dieting:D:DI have only told my close friends and family, as don't see it being anyone else's business;)

Good answers, thanks :) I think I will just say I have made a lifestyle change and leave it at that! The other thing I thought of is what if you are having a meal with someone who doesnt know, eating so little and so slowly!

If you are eating out and dont want it noticed just have soup if you can. It is easy to fit in at either a carvery, as you can eat a decent amount of veg quite soon or when having a bar meal as you can order a small meal that you find easy.

Back