• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What exercise and how soon?

Andrea73

I am now 5 weeks plus post op and am starting to think about exercise. Should I start to do toning exercises just now or stick to cardio stuff?

What does everyone else do?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hmmm i haven't had my op (yet). I'd suggest you ask when you go for your post op check. Am sure most people tend to stick with walking going by previous threads. Would hate for you to pull something!

I remember a friend of mine about 4 months or so after having a slieve was playing on a bouncy castle and pulled a muscle that she wasn't used to using and it caused her some discomfort.

Hey Andrea,

Im 4 weeksost op and have been advised by my doc not to do anything strenuos for 6 weeks plus.

Imake sure i go for a walk everyday but can only manage 10-20 mins.

I would speak to your post op team and see what they suggest you dont wanna do to much to soon.

Ok thanks all. The only thing that concerns me just now is that I went back to work after 9 days and my job involves me on my feet in a busy labour ward. I work 12.5 hour shifts and very rarely to I get a break or a toilet break for that matter.

I'd thought about starting to do a rosemary conley dvd for toning up. I don't get a check up due to the distance so might give them a call just to check.

thanks for the replies though

I think it's vital to remember that you've had major surgery. Although not exactly the same but similar in context, when I had a CSection I wasn't even allowed to hoover for 6 weeks. You may feel fine on the outside and being back at work I'm sure you feel as if you've fully recovered but I would imagine that your wounds inside are still healing. Hope that helps xx

Dont do anything unless you feel ready! Take it easy at first, try power walking and then jogging and then running, walk in the swimming pool and then swim, lift reaaaaally light weights and then build it up!!!

The Cross Trainer is a good all over workout that isnt too strenuous on the body.....

Are you joining a gym? x

I think it's vital to remember that you've had major surgery. Although not exactly the same but similar in context, when I had a CSection I wasn't even allowed to hoover for 6 weeks. You may feel fine on the outside and being back at work I'm sure you feel as if you've fully recovered but I would imagine that your wounds inside are still healing. Hope that helps xx
I was told 6 weeks till I could swim, although I did leave it a lot later due to feeling tired, as the internal bits needed a lot of healing :D:D
Although the external scares heal quite quickly it has been major surgery, and the insides need a lot of tlc:D:D
Walking should be ok earlier on though, as long as it's not power walking lol;)

Have been swimming this week - 2 weeks post op -after clearing it with the bariatric nurse.

Normally swim 40+mins per session - no probs - but could only manage 20 mins at half the speed.

Must say I still feel so lethargic and felt drained afterwards - but this last couple of days I do feel a little better. So I have to say that the short swim has helped a bit :)

Personal choice as to when you do it - once you get clearance from your bariatric team

Good luck :)

I'm 6 weeks post op and saw Mr Ammori yesterday.

He said I should be doing more strenuous excercise and said that going to the gym/aerobics would be a good start. But I suppose it depends on your age and fitness. Weight aside I'm in decent health and relatively fit.

x

That must have been nice to see Mr Ammori. I don't have a follow up appointment with him. I'm only a week after you Porpo so should really think about doing stuff. Saying that I do alot of walking and my job involves me being quite active.

Thanks for all those that replied.

Sounds like you are doing plenty then :) I am still off work so I should be doing a bit more cos it would probably help increase my energy levels? I still feel quite nauseous when I eat though :(

Sukay, don't rush anything, just listen to your body. I was always walking before surgery. As for the nausea, I still get that which I think is down to wind as well. I rely on remegel for that!!

Back