• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What foods do people struggle with after surgery

Undecided

Hi Guys

Just trying to prepare myself.

What foods do people struggle with after surgery ? I have a feeling my usual foods are all going to be a problem ? I mainly eat bread, pasta and cereals. Plus of course chocolate and cake !!!

Obviously will want to cut out the sweet stuff anyway, but I don't eat meat at all so think my food intake is going to have to change drastically.

pasta still gives me problems 11 months out,

I'm not too bad with pasta or bread though it does fill me up after 1 bite.
I can't eat lettuce or onions and pinapple makes me dump big time

Im veggie too so was wondering about this :confused:Lurve pasta and my main staple so prob gonna struggle with it x

Last edited:
I am only 7 weeks out and can eat everything, bread, pasta etc without any problems, a sandwich with 2 slices of bread fills me up now which is great as I would have have 4 slices before the op. I can eat what I used to before the op just in smaller quantities

Hi Guys

Just trying to prepare myself.

What foods do people struggle with after surgery ? I have a feeling my usual foods are all going to be a problem ? I mainly eat bread, pasta and cereals. Plus of course chocolate and cake !!!

hiya you wont be on a solid diet untill weeks 10-12, once on a solid diet you will soon find your way with what you can and cant tollerate.
I can eat bread and pasta but try to steer away from them as protien needs to go in 1st as its the most important, cereal such as cornflakes makes me dump big time.... i can do weetabix but thats about all.

Obviously will want to cut out the sweet stuff anyway, but I don't eat meat at all so think my food intake is going to have to change drastically.

tell the dietician you dont eat meat and she will advise you accordingly before you go home, peoples tastes change and you will most likley not crave chocolate any more x

Will do, cheers. I cant imagine not craving chocolate, but very much hope it happens ! Chocolate is my problem, could take or leave anything else.

the bypass will cure that problem as you either go off it or it would make you dump which is very unpleasant x

my bypass hasn't help with sweet or fatty foods I can still eat them if i choose. After writing the post further up I actually dumped the first time for months I had 3/4 of a small chicken breast with bbq sauce, runner beans and two spoodfulls of potato dauphinoise

Liz i have never dumped on chocolate! Why? Because i think diabetics don't...

Anyway, i did use to struggle with rice, it used to almost bubble in my pouch so when i lay down i'd think it was coming back up and i was gonna barf... However i had rice the other day and was fine... Ooh and i struggled with eggs at first.. Salad is something i enjoy now but can't manage much of it i'm afraid :(

Other than that nothing bothers me, i can and do eat anything and everything that is good for me....

Find out what is full of protein and incorporate it. There is no such thing as not having something, unless you physically cannot eat it. Adapt your tastes to suit your pouch xx

i 've discovered i can eat a piece of chocolate and am gutted i hoped i'd never be able to eat it again - like the concept about diabetics Julie . and i can eat crisps - ok have only had 3 or 4 crisps instead of 3 to 4 bags but i hoped i wouldnt be able to eat these things its taking more will power than i ever thought.

I dumped the other day and the cause was a betty crocker chocolate cake, but it was yummy at the time of eating it and I knew the piece I was given was too big but it would have been rude not to eat it lol. Oh I am a diabetic too.

hi, thankfully i am off the sweet stuff altogether, i dont even crave it which i am very surprised at due to me having a very sweet tooth pre-op, now the thought of it makes me feel sick, i do have a bad problem with bread, i can have half a slice toasted but to try it un-toasted i am ill, my tummy feels very uncomfortable, bloated and i feel very sick, i keep trying little bits but no chance yet. i think your tummy will find its own tollerance level, all the best xx

I don't eat meat either and find that most Quorn products very easy to eat and digest (my nutritionist also recommends it for people who have a problem with meat post-op).
Bread is quite filling and I tend to go for hi-value seeded types rather than empty white.
You may find certain 'shapes' and even brands of pasta are easier to eat than others - More expensive 'real' Italian brands are usually finer and thinner and so easier to digest so it's worth experimenting to find one that works for you.
Good luck and I hope you find a good range of foods that work for you.

I cant eat meat, bread, pasta, rice, apples. I struggle with cottage cheese and have to be very careful with salad items. Somedays there fine others they're not!
I have gone off chocolate and anything sweet. It makes me gag!
I can eat a couple of crisps and now manage rivitas. I am 14 months post op. The other thing I always seem fine with is cheddar cheese!
Everyone is different. I take things a day at a time even now.

I can eat everything and anything. Unfortunately I don't dump, am not and have never been diabetic. I can eat chocolate, crisps, cakes etc, and have started down the slippery slope of eating too much of them most days. Really need to give myself a kick up the proverbial, otherwise will end up putting the weight back on :-(((
Maybe I should give the 5 day pouch test a go xxxx

Back