• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens in hospital the day before the op - particularly re what you eat!

chivasgirl

Hi there, I am due to have my gastric bypass on 19 June and have to go in (all being well) on the 18th. I'm curious as to what will happen if you've been on the milk diet? I have been drinking soya milk (1 ltr) and eating 4 muller light yoghurts a day, as well as 1 or 2 bovrils and the odd sugar-free jelly and plenty of peppermint and fruit tea. However, I turn the soya milks into lattes (or at least espresso with hot milk!) as I can't stand milk!!!

What will they give me in the hospital? I am thinking that it might be easiest to take a couple of yoghurts in and my peppermint tea, and leave it at that, as I don't think the nurses will appreciate me saying "excuse me can you heat my milk in the microwave please, and then get me a decaf espresso"..!!!! I am guessing as I have to be in around 2pm that I won't be eating after ?? o'clock but maybe early evening 'meal'...

I'll be at Walsall Manor.

Thanks everyone!!

Lorna

When I went in the day before my op I had to ask for a glass of milk. I don't think they like feeding you in Sheffield lol. If its soya milk you drink then I'd suggest you take a little with you as I don't think the hospitals will have it. DO ask for your yoghurts though because they should have some of them!! Has for the espresso, the coffee in hospital is so strong you can stand your spoon up in it lol.

you can have unlimited low cal drinks or water til midnight and we were even given clear soup and jelly for pudding. They do come round with the drinks trolley so if you take your peppermint tea in they can give you hot water for it. After midnight you are nil by mouth and they just give you a mouthful to take your tablets with. If alls ok after your op on the evening they will get you on 30ml of water every hour and if thats tolerated well and you have no other problems you go on free fluids the following day. Take some no added sugar squash with you as you can have this on free fluids and it helps when taking some of your meds.

Hope this helps just ask if you want to know anything else. xXXx

I got fed and watered ok in Sheffield Gaynor ,it must have just been your wit and charm before and after the op,after all they did ask if your were going to drink the milk and not waste it lol.Still smiling about that :D.

xx

Thanks ladies!!! I suppose I did wonder if they would accommodate us at all!!

I don't think I'm worried about starving really, as I'm not one to eat at all when I'm nervous. I don't drink soya milk on its own, it has to have an espresso in (or cocoa and I can't have that!!), so I won't bother taking any with me. It's only a few hours after all!! I'd rather stick with the yoghurts - Terri, do you think they'll be okay if I take a couple in with me? I'm a bit worried I'll go off yoghurts as I haven't ever liked them until last week, and a bit scared each time I try a new muller flavour that I won't like them!!!! Do Walsall give you yogs? The clear soup and jelly sound fab though! I can't believe at the moment that I am not at everyone's throats, after 3 days on this!!

Oooooo i haven't got to worry about that as i will be starved from midnight on the 13th and go in at 7am on the 14th. So it will be checking who i am, observations and gown - then sometime that morning theatre (i'm glad really because i hate the overnight thing when you have too much time to think) lol

Thanks ladies!!! I suppose I did wonder if they would accommodate us at all!!

I don't think I'm worried about starving really, as I'm not one to eat at all when I'm nervous. I don't drink soya milk on its own, it has to have an espresso in (or cocoa and I can't have that!!), so I won't bother taking any with me. It's only a few hours after all!! I'd rather stick with the yoghurts - Terri, do you think they'll be okay if I take a couple in with me? I'm a bit worried I'll go off yoghurts as I haven't ever liked them until last week, and a bit scared each time I try a new muller flavour that I won't like them!!!! Do Walsall give you yogs? The clear soup and jelly sound fab though! I can't believe at the moment that I am not at everyone's throats, after 3 days on this!!

You could take a flask in with you with your latte in. Believe me the soup was minging lol

Good ideas both Teen and Terri, thanks!!! I will take a flask, hadn't thought of that, and will stick some labels on my yoghurts!! Hubby's now bought me a nintendo ds as well, and I was playing Mario last night (yes, I really am 43!!!), so that might help distract me the night before.

Topsy, were you always going in on the day itself, or has that been changed since you had your date? I have been told to go in the day before, which in a way is a relief because I would hate having to get up at 4am to get ready and then leave at 5.30 at the latest.... I won't sleep well whether I'm home or in hospital, but no doubt would get a bit more sleep at home!!

earplugs are on my list!! I have to say I never got on with them in the past, I've got little ear holes and they just fell out, but when I went camping I got some and they really helped. I always feel a bit vulnerable though, as though someone could come in and murderate me and I'd never know!!

I'm not normally good with them either, but they really helped me sleep - especially as the ward was quite noisy and busy. Anyway just to have them means there's a choice! You'll be fine, no one will murder you without you noticing (lol) x x

Back