• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens on the day of surgery and just a few Q's

amy_m

Hi

I'm having surgery on the 9/12. All they have told me so far is that I need to start liver diet 10 days before. I also know what the pre-op assessment will entail.

What I would like to know is :-
why do they want you in the hospital the day before ?
Does everyone have a catheter?
Can you get a pill to help you relax before the op ?
Do I need to take multi vitamins in with me ?
Can you have someone waiting for you when you come out of surgery ?

This next question is aimed at people who've had surgery at Sunderland RH ..... Can you wear your underwear during your operation ??

Also is the pain really that bad ???

Thanks all in advance.

Amy x

amy_m said:
Hi

I'm having surgery on the 9/12. All they have told me so far is that I need to start liver diet 10 days before. I also know what the pre-op assessment will entail.

I just been for my pre op assessment and the nurse said overweight people are more prone to clotting so we have to have an injection prior to surgery. That has to be done the day before the op.

She also advised not to take the multivitamins during pre op diet (not sure about before that) as there are some contents that cause clotting. Fine after though.

See mine is different, I have to do the pre-op diet for 14 days and take a multi vit whilst I'm doing it and I have no injection the day before the op. I also have to go in on the day of the op not the day before. Isn't it funny how every hospital gives different guidelines for the same op.

Good luck I'm sure you will be fine. I was horribly nervous the day before but on the day I went in for the op I wasn't nervous at all. Shame it was cancelled last minute. Hoping I wont be nervous again for the next try.

Kate x

I went in the day of the op. Had injection before surgery. Had a HUGE paper gown and knickers. Hubby was given a number to call at a certain time to see all ok but just allowed in at normal visiting times. I also had blow up things on my legs for 24 hours to keep clots at bay. I was also first down so only waited an hour after arrival at hosp to going to theatre. Good luck xxx

I was told they always get diabetics in the night before to monitor their sugar prior to surgery. I had a catheter which was no big deal at all & actually welcome during the night after surgery. I did the same as Kate whereby I took my vitamins alongside my milk diet but you won't be able to take them post op. You will need chewable ones for a few weeks. I have a Valium injection prior to surgery as I have a mask phobia but you may need to ask for that. They rang my hubby as soon as I was back on HDU & he came to evening visiting which allowed me to sleep without having to consider him. You WILL sleep for hours afterwards ... its lovely :):) I had paper knickers on when I went to theatre but obviously they had to come off for the catheter being fitted ... did not care though as I knew nothing about it :D:D Also a massive cotton gown which I did keep on until the next day when I was allowed to shower & put on my own nightwear ... Good luck, honey .. it is not as bad as you may think xxx :):)

I was told they always get diabetics in the night before to monitor their sugar prior to surgery. I had a catheter which was no big deal at all & actually welcome during the night after surgery. I did the same as Kate whereby I took my vitamins alongside my milk diet but you won't be able to take them post op. You will need chewable ones for a few weekJs. I have a Valium injection prior to surgery as I have a mask phobia but you may need to ask for that. They rang my hubby as soon as I was back on HDU & he came to evening visiting which allowed me to sleep without having to consider him. You WILL sleep for hours afterwards ... its lovely :):) I had paper knickers on when I went to theatre but obviously they had to come off for the catheter being fitted ... did not care though as I knew nothing about it :D:D Also a massive cotton gown which I did keep on until the next day when I was allowed to shower & put on my own nightwear ... Good luck, honey .. it is not as bad as you may think xxx :):)

I have a needle phobia which I'm ashamed to say I have had to be restrained in the past lol, god hope people don't just think am moaning am not am very worried I suffer from stress majorly which in turn gives me high blood pressure, sickness, faintness and I have panic attacks. I do control my stress over them but just so worried about going down there and them seeing me stressed and not going ahead with surgery.

Paper knickers sound lovely lol. With regards to the chewable vitamins which did you get. Hope they give me a list of all I have to take. I went to asda the other day and bought loads but pretty much the same ones lol.

Amy x

I went in the day of the op. Had injection before surgery. Had a HUGE paper gown and knickers. Hubby was given a number to call at a certain time to see all ok but just allowed in at normal visiting times. I also had blow up things on my legs for 24 hours to keep clots at bay. I was also first down so only waited an hour after arrival at hosp to going to theatre. Good luck xxx

I hope I'm first down lol might stamp my feet to make sure I am lol.

Xxx

Amy I will point out that we are at the same hospital albeit different kind of surgery. So I would expect they will tell you the same :)

I have a needle phobia which I'm ashamed to say I have had to be restrained in the past lol, god hope people don't just think am moaning am not am very worried I suffer from stress majorly which in turn gives me high blood pressure, sickness, faintness and I have panic attacks. I do control my stress over them but just so worried about going down there and them seeing me stressed and not going ahead with surgery.

Paper knickers sound lovely lol. With regards to the chewable vitamins which did you get. Hope they give me a list of all I have to take. I went to asda the other day and bought loads but pretty much the same ones lol.

Amy x

I had Bassetts chewable ones from Boots, couldnt find them anywhere else :(.You will be able to go on Forceval on prescription after about 6 weeks.
No one will think anything about you having a needle phobia ... it is quite common & they would rather give you a little Valium in liquid form than have to monitor your blood pressure cos stress has sent it sky high. Speak to the anaesthetist
when he comes to see you on the morning of your op. Diabetics tend to be first down to make sure they don't have a hypo due to not eating from the night before. You excited, honey ? xxx :):)

Amy I will point out that we are at the same hospital albeit different kind of surgery. So I would expect they will tell you the same :)

I'm sure they will well I would expect them too. The vitamins are for after the surgery. Just want to make sure I have the right ones.

To be honest the hospital don't really tell me alot, I just seem to go along to my appointments, weight is taken, pat on the back and sent on my way lol

I had Bassetts chewable ones from Boots, couldnt find them anywhere else :(.You will be able to go on Forceval on prescription after about 6 weeks.
No one will think anything about you having a needle phobia ... it is quite common & they would rather give you a little Valium in liquid form than have to monitor your blood pressure cos stress has sent it sky high. Speak to the anaesthetist
when he comes to see you on the morning of your op. Diabetics tend to be first down to make sure they don't have a hypo due to not eating from the night before. You excited, honey ? xxx :):)

Very very very very very very very very EXCITED lol.

I didn't think about people who have medical conditions don't think I'll stamp my feet, I'll go last. I didn't know we could get stuff on prescription lol I thought we had to buy everything I've been stocking up.

How are you doing is it getting easier xx

Very very very very very very very very EXCITED lol.

I didn't think about people who have medical conditions don't think I'll stamp my feet, I'll go last. I didn't know we could get stuff on prescription lol I thought we had to buy everything I've been stocking up.

How are you doing is it getting easier xx

Yes, I am fine ... got over the op very quickly & now just learning what I can eat (seems to be everything, lol) Not had anything that disagrees with me yet & actually hoped I would dump to keep me on the straight & narrow, lol ... will have to rely on my willpower like lots of others do. :sigh:
Do you get free prescriptions? If not it may be cheaper to buy the supplements you will eventually need using a prepayment certificate which will allow you as many as you need for a set price. You will need to look into this to see which method will be best for you. Have you asked about the Clexane blood thinning injections needed post op for around 10days. It is a very fine needle & into the stomach is barely felt. Ask about this too as I don't know if there is an alternative to this for needle phobics. Best to be prepared, sweetie xxx :)

Hi

Does everyone have a catheter?
Can you get a pill to help you relax before the op ?
Can you have someone waiting for you when you come out of surgery ?

This next question is aimed at people who've had surgery at Sunderland RH ..... Can you wear your underwear during your operation ??

Also is the pain really that bad ???

Thanks all in advance.

Amy x

The hospital I am going to get you in on the day of the op as far as I know.
I was told they put a catheter in while your under which I was worried about but the lovely ladies I have talked to have said its all fine.
I need to take multi vitamins when I do my milk diet but I am doing about a week as waiting on blood tests after my injections. I wasn't told I didn't need them with me in hospital.
I do hope they let my hubby be waiting for me when I come out of surgery as I have agoraphobia and I think I may struggle just after the anaesthectic.
Good luck hun its exciting time for us :D

I have to take my multi vits on my pre op diet. I am diabetic but only have to go in at 8am on the day of my op. Hubby not allowed to stay with me, has to leave straight away, they will call him later and he can visit in the evening.No liquid or chewable tablets for us either, been told they wont be necessary i'll be fine with pills, eek!! No injection for me pre op, but fragmin sp? for blood thinning after for a few days. No catheter either but big cotton gown and paper knickers. I am excited too!!

Yes, I am fine ... got over the op very quickly & now just learning what I can eat (seems to be everything, lol) Not had anything that disagrees with me yet & actually hoped I would dump to keep me on the straight & narrow, lol ... will have to rely on my willpower like lots of others do. :sigh:
Do you get free prescriptions? If not it may be cheaper to buy the supplements you will eventually need using a prepayment certificate which will allow you as many as you need for a set price. You will need to look into this to see which method will be best for you. Have you asked about the Clexane blood thinning injections needed post op for around 10days. It is a very fine needle & into the stomach is barely felt. Ask about this too as I don't know if there is an alternative to this for needle phobics. Best to be prepared, sweetie xxx :)

Really pleased to hear your doing so well.

I told work about op and now I don't have a job..... So at the mo I get free prescriptions. I did have a tread on here about those injections and apprently you can get them in a pill form but they cost £5 each however don't know if that's the cause as the lovely lady who let me know about them lives down south. So many things are different everywhere.

My partner / man friend / what ever he is ( long story lots of arguments and hurting each other with words at the minute) has kindly told me he is very willing to tie me up and stab me with the needle - secretly I think he wants to torture me lol bless him.

X

I have to take my multi vits on my pre op diet. I am diabetic but only have to go in at 8am on the day of my op. Hubby not allowed to stay with me, has to leave straight away, they will call him later and he can visit in the evening.No liquid or chewable tablets for us either, been told they wont be necessary i'll be fine with pills, eek!! No injection for me pre op, but fragmin sp? for blood thinning after for a few days. No catheter either but big cotton gown and paper knickers. I am excited too!!

Marie you have the same WL target date as me, think that makes us WL buddies lol. Is there a special meaning for your date, it will be my 26th birthday and I would like my weight not to reflect my age (or near enough)

I also am very excited, I hope all goes well on the day for you and I can't wait for my paper knickers :)

X

Last edited:
Really pleased to hear your doing so well.

I told work about op and now I don't have a job..... So at the mo I get free prescriptions. I did have a tread on here about those injections and apprently you can get them in a pill form but they cost £5 each however don't know if that's the cause as the lovely lady who let me know about them lives down south. So many things are different everywhere.

My partner / man friend / what ever he is ( long story lots of arguments and hurting each other with words at the minute) has kindly told me he is very willing to tie me up and stab me with the needle - secretly I think he wants to torture me lol bless him.

X

Things are very different round the country but at least you have an idea what to expect. I read your thread but didn't see the thing about blood thinning tablets. That would be ideal for you, honey. You will need to ask though, as the injections are standard.
As for your partner, if you do not get what you need from him in any way, get rid ... this is a time to be supported not belittled. You will soon be able to take your pick, sugar xxx :D:D

Things are very different round the country but at least you have an idea what to expect. I read your thread but didn't see the thing about blood thinning tablets. That would be ideal for you, honey. You will need to ask though, as the injections are standard.
As for your partner, if you do not get what you need from him in any way, get rid ... this is a time to be supported not belittled. You will soon be able to take your pick, sugar xxx :D:D

I think thats whats wrong, he just doesn't get I don't want anyone else but him. He won't actually tell me that's what's worrying him as he would nevet begrudge me. He is the cool laid back one nothing worries him I'm the stress head lol. there also been a lot of stress over the last year he is very very sick ..... His stupid ex is been spiteful with there child etc so enough is enough everything is going to change. No more fights I will hold my tongue lol and not stress easier said than done.

I'll mention the injections at the pre op assessment, don't know what I would do without you all x

I think thats whats wrong, he just doesn't get I don't want anyone else but him. He won't actually tell me that's what's worrying him as he would nevet begrudge me. He is the cool laid back one nothing worries him I'm the stress head lol. there also been a lot of stress over the last year he is very very sick ..... His stupid ex is been spiteful with there child etc so enough is enough everything is going to change. No more fights I will hold my tongue lol and not stress easier said than done.

I'll mention the injections at the pre op assessment, don't know what I would do without you all x

Try not to stress, honey ... this is making your BP higher ... If he is worth hanging on to then go for it, sweet ... Sorry he is ill :wave_cry: you can maybe recover together xxx :):)

Hi Amy,

when did you get your date through? the reason I'm asking is that I'm provisionally booked in for 14th Dec up at SRH and am hoping it will be definately confirmed in the next week.
they had wanted me in at the end of October, but due to uni commitments I can't take time off until nearer Christmas hols, so had to postpone the surgery. They provisionally booked me for 14/12/11 as they didn't have theatre lists sorted that far ahead, but I'm guessing that if you're a definate for the 9th then I should hear very soon. :cool:

Back