• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is Dumping?

bikerlady

Hi everyone, I keep hearing the term 'dumping', what does it mean?
Also, I had some cheesy mashed potato with some veg mashed up earlier, and I felt full afterwards, Since then I have had chest pain and now pain under my ribs and in my tum, have I over eaten? (something that worries me) and If I have could I damage my band? :confused:

Hi Bikerlady, looks like your stuck with me for words of reassurance. Can't say i can help much as i'm a bypasser...

I would say that you could well have eaten too much and got pain in your chest/tum area. I had this early post op after having sprouts, omg the pain was bad. In the end i stopped driving on a 'A' road bent over the bonnet while my hubby rubbed my back to shift it. Barfed and drove home. Am wary of sprouts now. Shame really as i'd think nothing of having 1/2 a plate of sprouts in the old days....

Hopefully a bander will be along to assure you soon xx

Hi, dumping is something Bypassers can suffer from (I'm not sure if sleevers/posers have it), now I'm not 100% sure but I think it's when the person eats something high fat/sugar, their body reacts and they can feel poorly, I don't think it affects every bypasser. However, I'm not a bypasser so I could have it completely wrong lol.

As for your food, it does sound like you've overeaten, I feel uncomfortable when it happens to me. I hope you're feeling better now. xx

Basically Dumping is where high sugared, starch, or fatty foods move into the intestine too quickly causing a physiological change to the body, resulting in Confusion, palpitations, nausea, stomach pain, wind, diarrhea, vomiting......the list is endless and different for all bypassers.
I don't thing banders and sleevers suffer this xxxx

this forum is so fab i think its great how we can all give and share information and learn new things all the time.:)

Sounds to me like you had over eaten they say for us banders a good guide is to stop eatinf after 20mins and to have a mouth full a minute so 20 mouthfuls in 20 mins and we should be full. you will get to know how much food to dish out for yourself. mash potatoe i enjoyed on the mush stage but did find that it lay heavily if you know what i mean. hope the pain has now passed remember to take your time with each mouthful and chew well even if it is mashed food as this will teach you to take your time when eating solids. TMI but i chew till the food is almost liquid these days HTH xx

Back