• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP finally referred me to Homerton

12lizzie12

Hi Guys,

I’m really new to this so would love to hear about your experiences. I went to see my Gp about my weight in February this year and he told me that my BMI was 45 (I’m 5’2). He told me that if I lost weight he would put me on orlistat. So I’ve managed to loose some weight and on Monday I had an appointment and he weighed me and told me my new bmi is 41. He was just about to prescribe orlistat but then a warning sign popped up that said it would interact with another medication I take. So he said he would refer me to the bariatric team at Homerton. So I have a few questions I’m hoping someone can answer.

1. How long did it take to get your first appointment with the bariatric team after referral from GP?
2. How long will the process take to actually getting accepted for weight loss surgery. As I have done some research and people that have been referred to Homerton seem to have the surgery 8 to 16 months after the 1st appointment.

Thanks guys!! X

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome, we have lots of members who had their ops at Homerton, so hopefully some of them will be along soon to help x

12lizzie12

Hey so I was referred by gp July 2015, first appointment was sep 2015, then, nov 15 feb 2016 and surgery was April 2016 xx
Hi Starryeyed,

Thank you for giving me an ideas of what your time line was like. Did you have to go through a weight management programme? I’ve been reading your weighloss journey and it’s so inspirational x

Sarnie

Hi Guys,

I’m really new to this so would love to hear about your experiences. I went to see my Gp about my weight in February this year and he told me that my BMI was 45 (I’m 5’2). He told me that if I lost weight he would put me on orlistat. So I’ve managed to loose some weight and on Monday I had an appointment and he weighed me and told me my new bmi is 41. He was just about to prescribe orlistat but then a warning sign popped up that said it would interact with another medication I take. So he said he would refer me to the bariatric team at Homerton. So I have a few questions I’m hoping someone can answer.

1. How long did it take to get your first appointment with the bariatric team after referral from GP?
2. How long will the process take to actually getting accepted for weight loss surgery. As I have done some research and people that have been referred to Homerton seem to have the surgery 8 to 16 months after the 1st appointment.

Thanks guys!! X
Hi Lizzie, welcome to the forum. I'm at Luton and Dunstable hospital and also got referred mid February and I had my first appointment on 17th of April. I can't help you on timelines for Homerton, but good luck with your journey, I hope they don't keep you waiting long x

12lizzie12

Hi Lizzie, welcome to the forum. I'm at Luton and Dunstable hospital and also got referred mid February and I had my first appointment on 17th of April. I can't help you on timelines for Homerton, but good luck with your journey, I hope they don't keep you waiting long x

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It’s been so hard even getting the referral tbh I never thought I would get this far. I’m just trying to work out if I would have to do a weight management course because my GP never mentioned it. Did you have to go through one is is it something that is decided by the bariatric team when I eventually see them?

Sarnie

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It’s been so hard even getting the referral tbh I never thought I would get this far. I’m just trying to work out if I would have to do a weight management course because my GP never mentioned it. Did you have to go through one is is it something that is decided by the bariatric team when I eventually see them?
I know what you mean, my doctors that I've had over the years have tried to refer me three times before, but I was declined by the hospitals, even though my BMI was extremely high, no diabetes, no operation. But this time I was accepted even though I still don't have diabetes.
Every hospital is different I'm afraid, because my BMI was over 60 I was put on their 6 month program, which started with a 4 week milk diet, to see how commited you are and see if you can cope with doing liquids, because you will have to do it pre op to shrink your liver. But most other hospitals don't require this. I'm now been put on a strict calorie controlled diet.
You could phone Homerton and ask them what sort of plan you would be on if it would put your mind at rest. All I can say to you is be patient, you are going to need a lot of patience, because it is a fairly slow process and waiting between appointments, but it will fly by and be worth the wait in the end. x

12lizzie12

I know what you mean, my doctors that I've had over the years have tried to refer me three times before, but I was declined by the hospitals, even though my BMI was extremely high, no diabetes, no operation. But this time I was accepted even though I still don't have diabetes.
Every hospital is different I'm afraid, because my BMI was over 60 I was put on their 6 month program, which started with a 4 week milk diet, to see how commited you are and see if you can cope with doing liquids, because you will have to do it pre op to shrink your liver. But most other hospitals don't require this. I'm now been put on a strict calorie controlled diet.
You could phone Homerton and ask them what sort of plan you would be on if it would put your mind at rest. All I can say to you is be patient, you are going to need a lot of patience, because it is a fairly slow process and waiting between appointments, but it will fly by and be worth the wait in the end. x

Hi Sandra,

I have zero patience lol. That’s a good idea I might give them a call just to find out. I think I only got referred because they can finally see my weight had been going up and down even though I’ve been trying so hard to loose weight myself. I’m also at a disadvantage because the medication I’m on has a side effect of weight gain. I just don’t want to get my hopes up to be fobbed off at the end

Sarnie

Hi Sandra,

I have zero patience lol. That’s a good idea I might give them a call just to find out. I think I only got referred because they can finally see my weight had been going up and down even though I’ve been trying so hard to loose weight myself. I’m also at a disadvantage because the medication I’m on has a side effect of weight gain. I just don’t want to get my hopes up to be fobbed off at the end
I feel the same about hoping not to be fobbed off at some point, I'm on their program, but nothings set in concrete yet, I've got a way to go before they actually approve me. So all can say to you is if you want any chance of getting WLS you have to do as they ask and just hope you do enough to get the op, you have to put the work in first,we all have to go through it, they don't just hand it to you on a plate I'm afraid, they have to make sure you are fit enough for surgery and that you're ready for the big changes that have to be made mentally to be successful post op. So you just have to go with the flow and see what happens, I think you are really going to have to learn to be patient as its not going to happen overnight hun x

tommycarpet

It's not a 5 minute fix or a magic wand, not at all.

I think I was a bit nieve thinking it would be easier post op than it is, but it's hard, a bit of a slog and a grind. You get out of it what you put in!

It's true they might get to the end of the process and decide that surgery isn't right for you or the other way round, but they're trained professionals and they know what they're doing, they have your best interests at heart and certainly aren't going to fob you off.

Stick with the plan set out for you and make the changes you need to make, physically and more importantly mentally, and you shouldn't go far wrong.

You are certainly going to have to up those patience levels I'm afraid!

It's a marathon not a sprint :)

12lizzie12

Hey Lizzie,

I was referred to HUH too, i waited couple weeks then recieved my apt which is 4 weeks away.

Have you had an apt through yet?

Hi Journeytobetterme,

My gp referred me week before last and it was referred back because he put that I have dieted in the past but didn’t put down I went to slimming world etc so they declined it because of the lack of information. I was amazed at how quick it was though he did the referral on a Monday morning and I got a letter in the post on Saturday. We did another referral on Friday so hopefully this time I get an appointment.
How long have you been waiting for your appointment? X

Hey Lizzie,

I waited a few weeks cant remember exactly how many.

Im currently doing slimming world, but summer holidays have side tracked that lool.

My apt is on the 24th Sept. from what ive been reading looks like surgery will not be until next year.

Im just looking forward to being healthy.

12lizzie12

Hey Lizzie,

I waited a few weeks cant remember exactly how many.

Im currently doing slimming world, but summer holidays have side tracked that lool.

My apt is on the 24th Sept. from what ive been reading looks like surgery will not be until next year.

Im just looking forward to being healthy.

Hi journeytobetterme,

Yeah seems Homerton are really quick. I’ve read people have surgery from 9 months to a year after 1st appointment which is good. I know how you feel I’m fed up of being so unhealthy. I’ve got my finger and toes crossed for you x Did you have to do tier 3?

MariaMaria83

Hey Lizzie,

Thank you, im not sure what a tier 3 is lol.
Hey!
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on?
I’ve got my 1st appointments at Homerton on 14th September!
Tier 3 is a weight management program you follow before the surgery assessments begin. Most areas have specific Tier 3 weight management programmes you get referred to first. I think if you’d done one you’d know.
I never done a Tier 3 programme, my referral was accepted on what I had already done, and am still doing, to try and lose weight. Just hope it’s enough to progress.
I have both my assessment, and an appointment with my surgeon on 14th. Do you have both on the same day?
Exciting times!! x

Hey Maria,

My referral was accepted because the bariatric surgeon wrote a letter to my gp telling them to refer me as he thinks i need it.

So hopefully i wont need to do a tier 3, im currently on slimming world so i hope they see that as tier 3.

Yes Im seeing both on the 24th, ive been a watching YT vids on this & people are so negative. Almost put me off but I know i 100% need it, now i see why people do it & not say anything.

I have a friend in Walsall who is on tier 3 ( i figured i did know it but didnt know the name)
She has had 2 appointments but failed the goal for the next appointment so she has to wait another couple of months to hit her goal to move on.

MariaMaria83

Yea I’ve been doing SW for best part of 3 years and have yo-yo-ed between 18-22st the whole time, I just can’t keep it off, I still go tho, weather I know I’ve gained or know I’ve lost, I have to or I’d balloon and there’d be no end.
I’ve tried Orlistat too.
I’ve watched so many episodes of Weight Loss Ward and Fat Doctor or YT, I find how the surgeons talk through each individual case and show the surgery fascinating and so relatable, all the psychological side of it too, how it’s not all sunshine and roses!
I’ve only told a couple of ppl, mainly because I’ve got a 3 and a 4 year old and I’m gonna need a hand from the off when I need to go to appointments and stuff, I’ll need family to look after them. Ive only had positive responses so far. Luckily the boys are too young to understand. They’re my main, biggest, reason for wanting it tbh.
Do you know which op you’d prefer?
Which surgeon are you seeing? x