• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP finally referred me to Homerton

@MariaMaria83 yes I did, spoke to Kingsley! He said it’s possible to change consultants. He said he was going to contact my current surgeon and ask for her permission and get back to me. That was this time last week so I am just waiting to hear back. Will chase up later today.

Any news for you? Hope you’ve been well

Hi all,

I have my first appointment on the 10th Jan and then 30th Jan, quick given I was only referred two weeks ago! Although I was fast tracked as I have severe GI issues which are being made worse due to weight but nonetheless wasn’t expecting things to be so fast.

Do they have a Tier 3 plan like the other hospitals? As there wasn’t any mention of this.

Hi all,

I have my first appointment on the 10th Jan and then 30th Jan, quick given I was only referred two weeks ago! Although I was fast tracked as I have severe GI issues which are being made worse due to weight but nonetheless wasn’t expecting things to be so fast.

Do they have a Tier 3 plan like the other hospitals? As there wasn’t any mention of this.
Hi! I’m guessing you’ve been referred to Homerton?
They do work fairly quickly compared to most hospitals, if you’ve read thru other peoples journeys on here you’ve probably realised how different everywhere works already.
I never done a tier 3 as such but had worked closely with my gp for a long time and had had my weight monitored closely by both the gp and SW and tried orlistat before being referred.
There is a process once you are in the homerton system which will be catered to you individually tho.
Hope that helps, x

Hi! I’m guessing you’ve been referred to Homerton?
They do work fairly quickly compared to most hospitals, if you’ve read thru other peoples journeys on here you’ve probably realised how different everywhere works already.
I never done a tier 3 as such but had worked closely with my gp for a long time and had had my weight monitored closely by both the gp and SW and tried orlistat before being referred.
There is a process once you are in the homerton system which will be catered to you individually tho.
Hope that helps, x

Thanks ever so much for your reply. It just says UCLH NW1.

I’ve worked with the GP for about two years!!

What has your experience been?

Thanks ever so much for your reply. It just says UCLH NW1.

I’ve worked with the GP for about two years!!

What has your experience been?
Ah ok, I thought as you’d asked on a homerton thread maybe that was where you’d been referred.
I think it depends a lot on your starting BMI, personal circumstance and the hospital you’re referred to’s process, how fast your journey will be, but there’s so much reading to be done in the mean time. Do you have any idea which op you’d like?

I first went to my gp in late June with a BMI of 51, he referred me, and after a little bit of messing about, got my appointments at Homerton for mid September. One of these later got re-scheduled for 2 weekend later. I was told at that 2nd appointment, which was with my consultant, that my case would be going to MDT on 17th October for discussion.
I called on 18th October and was told I was cleared by the team as ready to go for Surgery. My next appointment was a couple weeks later, to sign consent forms. I’ve since been told I’m top of my surgeons list for surgery in 2019 and should be done and dusted last week of Jan. I’m now waiting on pre-op appointment, my surgeon said that can be anything from 2-4 weeks before surgery. I keep calling and pestering, they’re gonna hate me soon!!
Bare in mind that I have no co-morbidities or anything extra so things have been straight forward so far, I’ve been so lucky. Most journeys involve extra tests along the way, x

Hi, if you mean the first assessment appointment then I first had my height/weight/bp taken then went with a nurse who took all past medical history, dieting attempts, current lifestyle choices...that sort of thing. It was very laid back. I then had a group meeting, led by I think she was a either a dietitian or nutritionist. She went thru the different ops, their pros/con, and so on...lasted about an hour.
I then went back a couple weeks later for the surgeon appointment.

Hope that helped?

Hi all,

@Honeydipdap how did your appointment go? x

@LotusFlowerBomb how are you doing?? x

Aww Hi @MariaMaria83.
Thanks for checking up on me, I hope you are well?

A lot has happened since the last time I posted here.

Well I haven’t heard back from the Homerton or Kingsley till date..

However, my GP referred me to The Whittington just before Christmas and I’ve been seen there and they’ve accepted to do my surgery.

Fortunately I didn’t have to start the process all over again. My GP sent the Whittington bariatric team all my previous notes and the surgeon at Whittington was happy to progress. I did have to do a few mandatory tests like the endoscopy, echo heart scan etc and attend some of their mandatory education sessions.

Staring the liver shrinkage diet in the 29/01 and my surgery is on 12/02. Excited much !

How have things been with you?

Aww Hi @MariaMaria83.

However, my GP referred me to The Whittington just before Christmas and I’ve been seen there and they’ve accepted to do my surgery.

Fortunately I didn’t have to start the process all over again. My GP sent the Whittington bariatric team all my previous notes and the surgeon at Whittington was happy to progress. I did have to do a few mandatory tests like the endoscopy, echo heart scan etc and attend some of their mandatory education sessions.

Staring the liver shrinkage diet in the 29/01 and my surgery is on 12/02. Excited much !

Congratulations on getting your date for surgery, that's great news. I hope it all goes well, please keep us posted x

Aww Hi @MariaMaria83.

Ahh that’s brilliant news!!!
I ended up asking to be put bac a little bit as they were really unsure of a timescale and I’ve got a few things coming up. Anyway, found out today my pre op is 5th March and my op will be 14th April so all good.

Congratulations on your date!! You must be well chuffed! x

Ahh that’s brilliant news!!!
I ended up asking to be put bac a little bit as they were really unsure of a timescale and I’ve got a few things coming up. Anyway, found out today my pre op is 5th March and my op will be 14th April so all good.

Congratulations on your date!! You must be well chuffed! x

Ahhh great stuff. Nice to see we are both sorted and ready to go. Fingers crossed for us all, hope it will be worth the wait.

Congratulations on getting your date. I have added you to the surgery list lol

So pleased you got your date hun Welldone xx

Hope everything went well today and you're comfy as can be on that losers bench x

Back