• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what next

chinsaway

on sept 30th i have my triple appointments at the luton and dunstable hosp where im hoping to have a gastric bypass. can anyone who's been through the process at luton get in touch and let me know what happens from here ..esp when will i know for def if i can have the op. thanks. my name is carol.

i have just had my surgery at luton it was done by mr whitelaw if there is anything you want to ask then feel free hun you can message me if you want to and i will get back to you xxx at the third appointment you will see a nurse, and dietician and then the phychiatrist, if you pass the phyc test and they think you mentally fit enough for the op then the dietician will put you on a liquid diet, to make you lose about 5% of your body weight . you will have to go back in 4 weeks, if you have lost the right amount then they will put you forward to see the surgeon. if you havent lost it then they will give you another 4 weeks to try and do it before u are refered to the surgeon . hope that helps a bit carol xxxx

thanks. all i have to do now is pass the psych test..god i hope i do..im reasonably sane..will i know on that day if theyl do the op providing the surgeon says ok?

Hiya - can i just ask... what does the phych test involve exactly? is it questions or what ever??? if so, what do they ask? sorry i was just wondering because if they make me do one it would be nice to be prepared before hand! x

on sept 30th i have my triple appointments at the luton and dunstable hosp where im hoping to have a gastric bypass. can anyone who's been through the process at luton get in touch and let me know what happens from here ..esp when will i know for def if i can have the op. thanks. my name is carol.

hi.this is an interesting thread..:D

I am only at the start of my journey but I am hoping to go to the l&d.(i am still waiting for funding from pct at the moment):sigh:
Could you tell me what the first 2 appointments were for, and how long they took to come through.
I would be interesting to hear how you get on...
I am a bit like you..I too want to know what is hopefully coming..?:cool:
Lisa x

the 2 appointments are with the nurse . she will go over the what the surgery intails and what you need tobe aware of . as in if things go wrong. then you will see a dietician. to talk over what the milk diet is about and what sort of things you can eat after the op , sometimes they run late but normally your only in with each person about 30 mins.

the physc evaluation is just a load of questions. they ask about family and your support network . i have bipolar so they asked me lots of things about what triggers my problems of and stuff like that , the good thing is that a few months ago my dr put me on what i calla wonder pill so the physc was fine with howi wiould handle the diet pre op and after op .

im sure they will do the op hun . but they wont refer you to the surgeon untill you have lost the right amount of wait the want you to lose . if you feel you cant tolarate the milk diet then tell them as they can put you on a low carb low fat diet. thats what i had to go on as the milk upset my stomach

thanks for replying,its a relief to be able to communicate with someone whos on the journey im hoping to travel. i suffer with depression too, on citalopram, have been for 2 years, find them marvelous. can i ask you about funding...when i had my first appointment at luton the nurse told me that "funding was in place"..although i havent had anything in writing to confirm this. did you?

Hi, I am also awaiting my 'triple appt' at Luton and Dunstable, so I hope we can keep in touch!

Wishing you all the best.:)

as for the funding i was told by my dr before i had an appointment at luton that i had got funding, so im not sure how that works hun sorry . i must tell you that all the staff at luton are so lovely and all the surgeons are very good . you are all in safe hands with them ...xx

Hi Everyone,

I'm awaiting surgery at Luton too. I had my triple appointment 2 weeks ago and they put me on the milk diet. It's hard going and and the temptation to eat is there all the time. I just keep reminding myself that it will be worth it.

I was told that I had to lose 5% of my body weight over 4 weeks on the milk diet. I lost that in the first 8 days but am sure most of that must be fluid loss.

I was told that when I go back I will be reviewed and if the weight has been lost will be put forward to see the surgeon and will be sent a surgery date.

Nice to know others will be sharing the same journey. :)

I was done at the L&D 6 weeks ago.
I had my appointment with the shrink on xmas eve and as I was very down at the time (the 2nd xmas without my dad, 1st without my sister, boyfriend had dumped me the month before and my boys spend half of xmas with their father.) and the shrink wouldn't let me go on to the next stage until I'd been to my GP and gone back on the prozac.

Sue, hope you are well now, sounds like you have had a tough time. :)

all well now thanks and losing weight slow and steady, following all the rules food wise, did my liquids post op, then slops, now on to mashed food from this week with 2 weeks to go until normal food. Lost 21lb at 6 weeks post op

Thats great, long may it continue. Your profile doesn't say how much you have to lose but I hope you get there soon. :)

your post told me exactly what i wanted to know, thanks. hope the diets going well, let me know when u get your surgery date and good luck..carolx

from my tripple appointment untill my op was about 5 months .. but it would of been only3 months but. 1, i had a car crash so wasnt able to go on the milk diet for 6 weeks till my ribs healed . and 2, i got a cancellation for the 17th may to have my op. but had to cancell due to being to ill for op. so then had to wait for july date to finally have the op ... hun you can ask to go on the cancellation list for any appointment .... it can sometimes be a lot quicker...

Hi Everyone,

I'm awaiting surgery at Luton too. I had my triple appointment 2 weeks ago and they put me on the milk diet. It's hard going and and the temptation to eat is there all the time. I just keep reminding myself that it will be worth it.

I was told that I had to lose 5% of my body weight over 4 weeks on the milk diet. I lost that in the first 8 days but am sure most of that must be fluid loss.

I was told that when I go back I will be reviewed and if the weight has been lost will be put forward to see the surgeon and will be sent a surgery date.

Nice to know others will be sharing the same journey. :)
thanks for the info..its a relief to come on here and get answers to the thoughts that keep me awake at nightx

Back