• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What the hell happened - did I 'dump'????

everpositive

Oh wow, something odd and unpleasant happened to me last night!!!! I felt really good yesterday in comparison to the other days since the bypass, although I recognise its still early on in the recovery process (5 days yesterday). The permanent bloated feeling was all but gone and I felt really quite upbeat in general. Although I couldnt say I felt hungry, the idea of food or trying to eat wasnt completely repellant to me. Dont worry I didnt eat!! My husband needed to go to Tesco so because I'm so bored of all the usual liquids I've been having I thought I'd try some tomato soup, basically coz it tastes nice and theres no bits in it. He made it for me and put it in what I would call a normal sized mug. It smelled delicious and I was really looking forward to it. As I expected it tasted like nectar from the Gods. I had 3 quarters of it but I'm pretty sure I had it too quickly. Fairly quickly I began with light headedness and general feeling of yuckiness. Then I got the swollen/bloated feeling in a major way, but worst of all my heart was like a galloping horse. I felt like I could be sick although when I tried nothing came. That said, I wasnt forcing it, in case I ruptured something and all my stitches inside and out pinged out!!!!!

I just lay down till it passed which it did but it wasnt nice. So, did I just drink it to quickly and have too much? Or is tomato soup laden with sugar and I dumped? Or both?? :( :confused: :eek:

im not a bypaser, but i do know that tomato soup has lots of sugar in it and isnt to good 4 bypassers, its maybe the sugar in it thats made you feel this way, alot of low fat foods fail to state the high sugar content, which isnt good.

liz

I love tomato soup but have yet to try it and my op was on 8th November. I think its also high in fat as its made with cream. I think I will leave my tins safely in the cupboard and try it in a few months time...xx

hi claire sorry to here you has such a bad experiance. It could of been the sugar content in the soup. I was told that the general rule is not to have anything that is higher then 5gms of fat or sugar per 100grm.
Im such a coward and have stuck to this and not experianced any of yr symptoms i have been sick once but didnt experiance any lightheadednedd just pain as the food i had was too dry in week 5.
hth
carole

yup claire i would say that you were at least on the virge of dumping from the sugar rush...

i believe i might have turned the corner on yesterdays problem, will keep fluids up and see if it returns

Definate dump!

However...all is not lost. Heinz Weight Watchers Tomato Soup is just as nice and for me anyway is fine :) Is a cupboard regular!

sounds very much like you dumped
Im almost a year out now but can remember the 1st two weeks after my op like it was yesterday
every new taste is a new experience and the thing with the bypass is what may cause you to dump today may not tomorrow it can be very bizarre at times
but at 5 days I was still just on clear fluids peppermint tea is excellent for that bloated feeling and at day 5 you may start to get a pain under your rib cage this was just wind and again the peppermint tea helps with this
And you did the best thing if I ever dump I just attempt to sleep through it or at least lay down until the room stops
Also the speed of how fast you fill your pouch will effect you as well you need a steady space not too slow because then in time you will be able to eat more, Try and give yourself 20 mins per meal no more no less
and with cup of soups still use a spoon annoying yes but its a steady flow to the pouch

Tracy x x

Welcome to the forum Tracy :)

You have done fantastically well, it would be great to hear about your journey at some point.

Shel

welcome to the forum tracey

Cheers everyone, very helpful as ever!!! Moral of the story, stay well clear of the devils poison which disguises itself as Heinz cream of tomato soup?!?!?

I do seem to always have this niggly discomfort around my ribs which feels like bloatedness/gas but when I drink something I get it a bit worse. All very confusing as I'm not sure now what the difference is between wind and being full?!?!?

Cheers everyone, very helpful as ever!!! Moral of the story, stay well clear of the devils poison which disguises itself as Heinz cream of tomato soup?!?!?

I do seem to always have this niggly discomfort around my ribs which feels like bloatedness/gas but when I drink something I get it a bit worse. All very confusing as I'm not sure now what the difference is between wind and being full?!?!?

Sounds like a dump to me. I don't personally like Tomato Soup but I have heard of others thet have had the same problems with it.

The "niggly discomfort" is probably just healing - you are very early out following your op (I am 4 months out & was told yesterday "it is early days yet & you have a long way to go"!!!) ...

Difference between being full & wind ... I'd just go with the "full" to be on the safe side - you can always have a wee bit more later if you want but not so good if too much goes in!!

Hope that helps

thanks again minimins people!!

xx

Back