• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why did I dump on tomato soup

Hi guys

I am five weeks post op (bypass) and I have more of less been living on soups, yogurts and slim fast.

Today I had tomato soup. I normally have Heinz or Weight Watchers but today I had Covent Garden - Plum Tomato and Basil- Fresh.

Per 100g there is

44 cal
1.3 protein
2.0 fat.

I had half a carton ( about 250 ml to 300) and whilst it was absolutely gorgeous it all came back out again. And I am really not sure why. I had their veg soup last week and was fine with that.

I didnt eat anything else that would have caused dumping. Do you think it was because there was a garlic taste to it that my stomach couldnt handle???

I know someone who is 18 months post-op and still dumps on tomato soup. I don't have tomato soup because they usually add extra sugar to it. Whenever I used to make tomato soup, before my op, I'd add sugar to it as it made it more tomatoey somehow.

Hi - here's the label on the soup. I wouldn't consider 14.7g of sugar low! That might be why??
low.gif

FAT
6.0g
low.gif

SAT FAT
0.9g
low.gif

SUGAR
14.7g
low.gif

SALT
0.9g
132 Calories
Typical values
per 100gTypical values
per servingGuideline daily amounts (adult)Energy185kJ/44Kcal554kJ/132Kcal2000 caloriesProtein1.3g3.9g45gCarbohydrates5.2g15.6g230g(of which sugars)4.9g14.7g90gFat2.0g6.0g70g(of which saturates)0.3g0.9g20gFibre1.3g3.9g18gSalt0.3g0.9g6g(of which sodium)0.1g0.3g2.4g

this didn't come out as a table (sorry)

Hi, just re checked the sugar and it is 4.9 per 100g which is less than the five per cent I go by. I try to have all food less than 5% sugar and 5% fat.

Hi - here's the label on the soup. I wouldn't consider 14.7g of sugar low! That might be why??
low.gif

FAT
6.0g
low.gif

SAT FAT
0.9g
low.gif

SUGAR
14.7g
low.gif

SALT
0.9g
132 Calories
Typical values
per 100gTypical values
per servingGuideline daily amounts (adult)Energy185kJ/44Kcal554kJ/132Kcal2000 caloriesProtein1.3g3.9g45gCarbohydrates5.2g15.6g230g(of which sugars)4.9g14.7g90gFat2.0g6.0g70g(of which saturates)0.3g0.9g20gFibre1.3g3.9g18gSalt0.3g0.9g6g(of which sodium)0.1g0.3g2.4g

this didn't come out as a table (sorry)

Thanks, but this should have been ok as it is less than 5% sugar.

As a pre opper i read this with interest! I'm guessing it's just like they say..... it's a learning curve!

A lot of bypassers have problems with tomato soup because of the sugar content in it regardless of what the information says on the pack.

Did you hve any othet symptoms than sickness as if not I would say it wasn't a dump more like you at it to fast or your pouch just didn't like it.

You are probably right. I have dumped in the past and felt terrible with it, this was different and was probably just my pouch getting rid of it.

im sick if i eat too much or too quick or drink when i eat but not so much when i dump.. when i dump i feel sick and sorry for this but its mostly spit! yuk i know! im fine with all soups and im a really bad dumper :) HTH xx

Its difficult having to study labels after years of ignoring them lol. But remember if you have dumped tody with tomato soup it doesn't mean it will neccessary happen again i was advised to try again with any food like that after a couple of weeks. I have been very lucky with what i can eat and the 5% rule is a good one. Always remember to divide the weight as its unlikely you will eat a full packet or a full tin in one sitting at this stage so what appears initially high may not be as bad as first thought xx

Its difficult having to study labels after years of ignoring them lol. But remember if you have dumped tody with tomato soup it doesn't mean it will neccessary happen again i was advised to try again with any food like that after a couple of weeks. I have been very lucky with what i can eat and the 5% rule is a good one. Always remember to divide the weight as its unlikely you will eat a full packet or a full tin in one sitting at this stage so what appears initially high may not be as bad as first thought xx

Thanks, yes it is difficult having to read labels. I normally go by the 100g/ml reading and then I can work out the percentage. I might try that soup again but right now I dont even want to think about it lol

I was told by my dietician to avoid foods that have more than 10g of sugar per 100g of product.

Back