• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What the hell happened today??? :(

hayley1983

Hey everyone. Really worried today :(

I had my lunch at 11:30 today at work. Consisted of mash and salmon mushed up (I've had this a couple of times before).

Had only 4 teaspoons of it and I got what I thought was the full sensation. Then it moved onto the feeling of indigestion and heartburn.

I went back to my desk at 12 and couldn't keep still with the pain in my chest. I couldn't speak on the phone because my mouth kept filling with saliva LOADS.

I ended up going outside with my manager for some fresh air, but all of a sudden I felt like I needed to be sick. Not the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, it was almost like the feeling in my chest made me feel sick.....

I didn't even retch, I just bent my head over the toilet and what I can only describe as saliva started coming out. it must have been bout 6-7 seconds then just stopped. I went hot and cold and my lips were on fire!! But I felt great straight afterwards.

I swear on my life I didn't eat fast or too big amount (because I'm scared to).

Is this what you call dumping? Because I don't know what else it could be???? My provider usually calls my on a tuesday night so I will discuss then, but just wanted to know if anyone has had the same thing???

It scared the life out of me! :eek:

xxx

hugs xx

hayley no it desnt sound like dumping it just sound like ypir pouch was having a funny one and decided that it didnt want what you gave it. may of been a little to dry or stodgy and once in yr pouch swelled so it was then too much . if that makes sence.
I had a similar experiance when i was going from puree to mush and boy did it hurt.
Being sick after bypass is not like being sick as it was it does tend to just be saliva and froth.
it was a big learning curve for me and when ever i eat now i make sure i have veg or salad with meatsetc or crackers or fruit with chese etc i suppose im saying a combination of textures.
hope you dont have to experiance it again
carole

hayley this is not dumping this is restriction hun, you may have got some of the salmon stuck in the band hole, when this happens you naturally swallow your own saliva but because the band hole is blocked it has no path way through there for filling the pouch, this is when the pain comes and the urge to be sick comes in to play, always remember to chew well even if it looks mushed up especially with fish as it can collect and block, the pain instantly goes away after vomiting occurs.

liz x

hayley this is not dumping this is restriction hun, you may have got some of the salmon stuck in the band hole, when this happens you naturally swallow your own saliva but because the band hole is blocked it has no path way through there for filling the pouch, this is when the pain comes and the urge to be sick comes in to play, always remember to chew well even if it looks mushed up especially with fish as it can collect and block, the pain instantly goes away after vomiting occurs.

liz x

Hi Liz, I had a bypass but I can imagine it working in the same way. :)

hayley no it desnt sound like dumping it just sound like ypir pouch was having a funny one and decided that it didnt want what you gave it. may of been a little to dry or stodgy and once in yr pouch swelled so it was then too much . if that makes sence.
I had a similar experiance when i was going from puree to mush and boy did it hurt.
Being sick after bypass is not like being sick as it was it does tend to just be saliva and froth.
it was a big learning curve for me and when ever i eat now i make sure i have veg or salad with meatsetc or crackers or fruit with chese etc i suppose im saying a combination of textures.
hope you dont have to experiance it again
carole

Thanks Carole. This makes great sense now. When I think about it, it was very dry. The last time I had it I had some cheese sauce to make it a bit mushy. I've gone off Salmon and potatoes completely now.

Going to have some salad with a bit of roast chicken and a fat free dressing for tea.

Thanks for your help youve put my mind at rest :)

xxx

Hi Liz, I had a bypass but I can imagine it working in the same way. :)

oh i appoligise hayley i didnt realise hun, it probably works in a similar way and decided to come back out x

hi hayley, ive had this happen to me 3 times, im 4 months post-op. first time was mince, 2nd time tuna and the 3rd time was lamb. i have eaten them all again since and agree with liz that i think sometimes our pouches just dont want what we give to them on certain occasions!!!

hello hun i get this now and again its just our pouches bein fussy its not nice at all but it happens less and less as time goes on x x x x x x

I get the same thing with white bread hun, all frothy spit comes out:eek::eek:I feel fine right after though:D

No this is overeating, i do it all the time, you eat slightly too much, cant swallow your own saliva, and woof you bring a few mouthfuls of stuff up (normally liquid) and hey presto the feelings gone and your back to normal - you have simply eating a bit too much - and that could be as much as a couple of mouthfuls. remember different foods sit differently in your pouch, i can eat salad till its coming out of my ears and not get restriction, yet i can only manage 4 or 5 chips before i reach restriction, its completely mad and takes a bit of practice and getting used to ! - dont worry though, you'll get it eventually and it will get easier.

Back