• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what to tell your employer...?

sukay

Trying to focus on future
Hello guys
just got my date today for bypass. Have had a lot of time off work recently because of illness. Am dreading telling them I will need time off for surgery. They don't know about the bypass. Could I tell them it is "abdominal surgery" or something - has anyone else had this concern?

xxx:wave_cry:

I was lucky - the people I work with have been on this journey with me from day 1! You could always tell them its gynecological - people dont tend to ask questions about that, specially if they are men!

Hello guys
just got my date today for bypass. Have had a lot of time off work recently because of illness. Am dreading telling them I will need time off for surgery. They don't know about the bypass. Could I tell them it is "abdominal surgery" or something - has anyone else had this concern?

I did exactly that, told my employer at the time i needed to take time of for abdominal surgery and i'd been told i'd have to have 2-3 weeks of, i then asked my consultant to right me a letter stating i had to have abdominal surgery and what amount of time i needed to take of, he was cool with that and the letter didn't say anything about WLS, they were none the wiser !

Hello guys

Another thing you could say - tell your employer that they have worked out whats wrong with you now and hence all the time of work recently, and once the ops out of the way you should be fixed, make it sound like a win win situation !

End of the day if your signed of by your GP or consultant then there's nothing they can do about it, so you should be ok.

I am self employed and don't get paid if I don't go to work - assuming everything goes to plan with the surgery, would you say 2 weeks would be enough time to have off? - just to add, that I sit in front of a computer all day, and do not have to move at all!

I told my employer what I was having done and had 10 weeks of work on full pay. Plus my morgage insurance I pay also paid my morgage for 2 months for me

I am self employed and don't get paid if I don't go to work - assuming everything goes to plan with the surgery, would you say 2 weeks would be enough time to have off? - just to add, that I sit in front of a computer all day, and do not have to move at all!

Me to, though as a contractor i made a point of keeping my employer at the time happy and provided a certificate from my consultant.
I had my op laproscopically and had planned 2 weeks of, but extended that to 3, i felt fine in myself and had no pain, but just ran out of steam about mid afternoon and required a sleep :D - my consultant told me my body was still healing itself and being tired out was all part of the healing process, dispite the fact we have little to show for the op on the outside except for a couple of stab holes, you've been majorly re plumbed up inside !

Back