• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's been the best thing about losing weight?

Sambucca

We have lots of successful slimmers here at various stages of success. Some who are nearly at target, some who are perhaps half way, and some who are just beginning their journey.

I thought it would be good to have a nice positive thread about how things have changed for you since losing weight. It could be that medical conditions have cleared up or symptoms have got better, or that you have found confidence to perhaps get a new man or a new job, or just that you feel that you look better since shedding the weight.

Has losing the weight had any drawbacks for you? or has it been the positive experience that you expected it to be?

For me, it has been a wholly positive experience. No drawbacks whatsoever. The top points are -

• Improved health, kidney function normal for first time in 17 years, pain levels minimal and taking far less pills.
  • Improved self esteem/confidence
  • Down periods are much shorter lasting, and fewer in general. Only had 2-3 since op, would normally have 8-10 in that time frame.
  • Relationships, correlates with improved self esteem, but have successfully shed damaging and one sided relationships, and have strengthened my marriage.

The absolute best thing to happen to me is my improved health & well being! I feel better every week because I know that I have lengthened my life and given myself the opportunity to grow old! My hubby and I have gotten closer first because I needed support and second because I feel more open and able to enjoy the wonderfulness of his company (I spent way too much time pre-op being uncomfortable and grumpy due to my health issues to really enjoy his company).

The one thing I never expected but is a direct result of having wls is the new friends that I have made! I feel like I have lots of friends now who are always around for me to lean on, be silly with and celebrate the victories both big and small! Go minimins!!

Nic;)

Not one single draw back, its been a very very positive experience for me. I feel healthier, happier and ready to move mountains....I even have a date lined up for sunday!!!...xx

Not one single draw back, its been a very very positive experience for me. I feel healthier, happier and ready to move mountains....I even have a date lined up for sunday!!!...xx

Woohoo... really pleased for you. Hope you have a lovely time on Sunday x

Have a fab time on Sunday

I an no where near having my band (well sept / oct) not that far away I suppose

the things I WANT to change :

I want to be more comfortable with hubby - IYKWIM !! LOL
I am a bit of a prude (god knows how I have three young children haha)
I want to go swimming and be ok (only been about 5 times in 24 years)
I cannot wait to put a picie of clothing on that starts with a 1 instead of a 2
sexy underwear - for me and no one else
matching undewear haha !!
maybe a part time job, I am a full time mum at moment have been for 7 years since birth of eldest child, youngest is 14 months.
I want to look in a mirror - sounds stupid I know, but I dont have any big mirrors in the house, well I do have onein our room but it has clothes hung over it !!!
I dont look in shop reflections either.
So if I can order all of the above I will be one super happy girl.
xx
Helen

for me my biggest high has got to of been when one of the young girls i look after had a major meltdown in the middle of the supermarket and was not only a risk to herself but others as well. I had to do a wrap hold on her and we had to go to floor level. in the past i would of had to go to my knees and would of been really uncomfortable. On this occasion i was able to squat down with her between my legs and remained there for 20 mins until she was calm. I remember thinking to myself whey hay look at this ive not been able to squat for years but what was even better was being able to stand up without having to hold onto anything.
carole

It is only in the past month or so that I have been thinking psitively & not stressing so much over the bypass &, to be honest, there are so many plus points that I can't complain at all (so I can't tolerate eating meat - hey, no biggy!)

Aprt from the weight-loss :scale: , on the plus side (not weight-wise :p);
  • healthier
  • no asthma
  • no diabetes medication
  • improved menstrual cycle
  • more confidence (as if I needed it!)
  • fitter - can walk with no probs now
  • much more relaxed & less stresses
  • better moods
  • less depression
  • no S.A.D so far this year (probably due to being able to go out more)
... oh I could go on & on! :party0049::party0011::character00148::bliss:

1. healthier
2. more confident
3. my atrthritic knees dont hurt so much
4. i can go in any shop now and buy clothes and they fit (head still tells me to look to the larger sizes on the rail) just a habbit.
5. i can sit in a chair with arms and not stand up and take the chair with me.
6. cut my own toe nails
7. ppl dont stare, point and whisper, and to the extreme call me a fat b*tch to my face in public no more.
8. this very near to being healthier is one of my best things about weight loss.. is being able to interact with my son now, go swimming with him. run around with him and be the normal mum he deserves to have.

i could keep typing but thats just a few of the benefits ive gained.

liz x

My weight loss has.............

Cured my Sleap Apnea
Cured my diabetes
Given me back my mobility
Possibly extended my life span

And has generally improved my life, the operation has helped me give up drinking and smoking and allowed me to do things I want to do where as I was virtually fully handicapped with the weight I am now FREE.............

Hmmmm where to start, so many positives...I could write a really long list if I thought about it hard enough but the ones just off the top of my head are....

1) knowing that this weight loss will last, so even if I don't lose much more I can see myself as 'normal' now
2) off anti-depressants and happy on life
3) new man, what more do I need to say!
4) better choice in clothes shopping and a feeling of delight every time I slip into a 16-18 instead of a 26
5) complete new outlook on food - I am in control instead of it controlling me
6) enjoying exercise for the first time in years
7) increased self confidence and belief in myself
8) more money - spending much less on junk food!!

so lovely to read all of your replies. Can't wait to join you on the losing side and have a bit of what you lot are experiencing lol

My main best about losing wieght is clothing. i can buy some new cloths and look good.

I also feel better in myslef and fell better in what people say qabout how better and well i look. even though my fRIends took me as i was.

But defo number 1 was cloths beside knowing i was more healthy

Well I have had many benifits but the ones that stick out the most are

1) getting into size twelve jeans in new look with out laying on the floor and holding my breath!
2) getting on my horse from the floor without the use of a pully system or step ladder to get on! and the poor lad not collapsing he he !
3) My back spasms have nearly gone.
4) Going out on dates with some tasty fellas, my confidence is well up!
5) Been able to buy bras that dont have "doreen" on the label.

I'm only a part of the way there but already the benefits are showing :
My hypertension has improved - to the extent that if my BP is lower on my next check up my GP will start to lower the meds
My back doesn't hurt as much - i have just come back from a lovely (although blustery !) walk on the beach - which i couldn't have done before
My bottom half is now a size 22 - so i can fit into mainstream store trousers (can't wait for my size 26/28 upper half to follow !)
I feel healthier and happier in general :)

We have lots of successful slimmers here at various stages of success. Some who are nearly at target, some who are perhaps half way, and some who are just beginning their journey.

I thought it would be good to have a nice positive thread about how things have changed for you since losing weight. It could be that medical conditions have cleared up or symptoms have got better, or that you have found confidence to perhaps get a new man or a new job, or just that you feel that you look better since shedding the weight.

Has losing the weight had any drawbacks for you? or has it been the positive experience that you expected it to be?
What a lovely thread to read, nice one Sam.x
Good luck for sunday chucks. x

This is a great thread and it really gives me hope for a positive outcome and experience for when I have my bypass. So lovely to hear people being happy with themselves! Well done to you all xxx

Back