• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BEST THING ABOUT YOUR SURGERY

Thanks for doing this thread. As a pre-opper, it is so nice to read the good things after wls. I can't wait for mine, hopefully by the end of the year. Will follow this thread with great interest xx

Got to admit, I do love that I now mainly blend in, I certainly dont find that I get looked at where I used to get people doing double takes because of my size. The only double takes I get now are from people that havent seen me since before surgery and they are shocked, its like 'wow, its you' lol
I will see how different it is this summer because last summer I got so annoyed because I was away in Wales with hubby and I am small and was very fat and he is very tall and heavy set, so we were getting stared at and even he noticed it and we didnt feel good about it at all, this year Im hoping that it doesnt happen again.
Funny thing is that I am still technically fat and sure dont look skinny but I guess that I am small enough now that I can eat in public and nobody would stare, they sure dont in restaraunts any more.
So I love blending in.
My biggest thrill now is clothes - shopping for them and wearing them!!! I only shop in charity shops so Im not spending vast amounts of money but my local charity shops have some awesome clothes in a large variety of sizes and I got 5-6 tops the other day and a dress and still had change from £20, which is fantastic as before the op I would have to spend that much on ONE top!!! The thing with charity shops is that they have such a huge range of styles, its not like most of the high street shops where they only have the seasonal styles with a few extras, you get so much choice. I got tops the other day that originally came from shops like Monsoon and Papaya and all manner of high street chains, just because someone else was done with them doesnt mean they are no good, they are all in pretty much immaculate condition and I am proud to wear them. I can also buy things that I really like rather than thinking "well I dont like any of it but it covers the lumps and bumps so Ill make do", I am dressing in lovely clothes that I feel damn good in and that flatter me, hell, I have had more compliments on my clothing lately than ever before in my life and I am LOVING it, the feeling is AWESOME. I used to buy mainly pajamas and just lounge in those every moment I was at home, the minute I got in I would put them on but nowadays I dont, I love what I have to wear and I dont rush to take them off any more, my hubby and my sister have even commented on that lol
I used to HATE going clothes shopping, it depressed me and I would dread it but not any more.
I love the pride in my mums eyes when she sees me, she has supported me through every attempt to lose weight in my life and to see it actually working this time thrills her I think, the look in her eyes makes every bit of this journey worth it. I love the smiles that my obvious joy brings to hubbys face, he had so many years of seeing me miserable, depressed and in pain and getting gradually more poorly and now he sees the changes and sees me bounding around with joy (literally at times lol) and he looks so happy, I love that.
I love that I am proud of myself and for once in my life, I like myself and looking in the mirror isnt painful any more, I went for the longest time when I glanced in a mirror but that was it, I hated putting make up on because I would have to stare into the mirror and the reflection looking back at me made me so sad and angry and now it doesnt.
I probably sound like a huge narcissist but I am just so thrilled with the decision I made that led to this new life and I am finally in a good place physically and mentally and I am proud of myself and thrilled, if that makes me a narcissist then hell Ill admit it but I think that I have a damn good right to be lol
I am seeing my surgeon on Monday for the first time since surgery for a check up and I cant wait to thank him for this wonderful gift that he gave to me.
I just want to sing from the rooftops about this wonderful new life and I hope that my experience can make nervous pre-oppers confident in their decision to have surgery, because pre-op I never even dreamt that nearly four months down the line I would be so very very VERY happy hehe
Steph xx

Last edited:
Awww Steph, what a lovely, thoughtful post. Thank you so much. It gives me hope that one day I will start to feel happy about myself and care about myself again. Thanks again xx

2 things? One, I have hope, I can now feel confident that the weight will go and I can dare to dream about clothes, shoes, long walks etc. Two, the physical benefits, I am on half my insulin, I can walk furher without the need for painkillers, and some of my meds have been reduced. Its all good.

Got to admit, I do love that I now mainly blend in, I certainly dont find that I get looked at where I used to get people doing double takes because of my size. The only double takes I get now are from people that havent seen me since before surgery and they are shocked, its like 'wow, its you' lol
I will see how different it is this summer because last summer I got so annoyed because I was away in Wales with hubby and I am small and was very fat and he is very tall and heavy set, so we were getting stared at and even he noticed it and we didnt feel good about it at all, this year Im hoping that it doesnt happen again.
Funny thing is that I am still technically fat and sure dont look skinny but I guess that I am small enough now that I can eat in public and nobody would stare, they sure dont in restaraunts any more.
So I love blending in.
My biggest thrill now is clothes - shopping for them and wearing them!!! I only shop in charity shops so Im not spending vast amounts of money but my local charity shops have some awesome clothes in a large variety of sizes and I got 5-6 tops the other day and a dress and still had change from £20, which is fantastic as before the op I would have to spend that much on ONE top!!! The thing with charity shops is that they have such a huge range of styles, its not like most of the high street shops where they only have the seasonal styles with a few extras, you get so much choice. I got tops the other day that originally came from shops like Monsoon and Papaya and all manner of high street chains, just because someone else was done with them doesnt mean they are no good, they are all in pretty much immaculate condition and I am proud to wear them. I can also buy things that I really like rather than thinking "well I dont like any of it but it covers the lumps and bumps so Ill make do", I am dressing in lovely clothes that I feel damn good in and that flatter me, hell, I have had more compliments on my clothing lately than ever before in my life and I am LOVING it, the feeling is AWESOME. I used to buy mainly pajamas and just lounge in those every moment I was at home, the minute I got in I would put them on but nowadays I dont, I love what I have to wear and I dont rush to take them off any more, my hubby and my sister have even commented on that lol
I used to HATE going clothes shopping, it depressed me and I would dread it but not any more.
I love the pride in my mums eyes when she sees me, she has supported me through every attempt to lose weight in my life and to see it actually working this time thrills her I think, the look in her eyes makes every bit of this journey worth it. I love the smiles that my obvious joy brings to hubbys face, he had so many years of seeing me miserable, depressed and in pain and getting gradually more poorly and now he sees the changes and sees me bounding around with joy (literally at times lol) and he looks so happy, I love that.
I love that I am proud of myself and for once in my life, I like myself and looking in the mirror isnt painful any more, I went for the longest time when I glanced in a mirror but that was it, I hated putting make up on because I would have to stare into the mirror and the reflection looking back at me made me so sad and angry and now it doesnt.
I probably sound like a huge narcissist but I am just so thrilled with the decision I made that led to this new life and I am finally in a good place physically and mentally and I am proud of myself and thrilled, if that makes me a narcissist then hell Ill admit it but I think that I have a damn good right to be lol
I am seeing my surgeon on Monday for the first time since surgery for a check up and I cant wait to thank him for this wonderful gift that he gave to me.
I just want to sing from the rooftops about this wonderful new life and I hope that my experience can make nervous pre-oppers confident in their decision to have surgery, because pre-op I never even dreamt that nearly four months down the line I would be so very very VERY happy hehe
Steph xx
It's not just the pre oppers who benefit from your posts, us newbies also learn from you and I am inspired by you. Dawnx

So I love blending in.
Steph xx
I am so very touched by your words and have sat here reading it out to my husband with tears rolling down my face, i can feel every ounce of your happiness and if i get only a percentage of what you seem to have then i too will be very grateful, thankyou so much for you inspirational words, i can't tell you how affective they have been. sarah x

My best bit is Being able to cross my legs when sat on a chair, and also lying down in front of the fire reading (before my op I couldnt even get on the floor with out feeling like I had been winded) lol

Dawn, Sarah and Smiler...Im glad that you have gotten something from my words, I really would have loved to have read such a positive experience when I was pre-op, I think that enough is said about how hard life can be after the op and we hear lots about issues and problems etc but sometimes we need to stand up and let everyone know how awesome life can be too and also I am so very very happy that I use every opportunity to try to spread some of the good feelings around hehe
Steph xx

Hi

I think the main thing for me is you get your life back and can do stuff so easy where as before it was much harder. It is an amazing feeling. Things that you dont realise everyday things it is brilliant.Well worth it.

Nice to see you around Paul you will see alot of old faces about on here

Jo
xx

There are so many positives from the WLS but some that come to mind are:

1. Being taken off my diabetic medication and cholestrol tablets.
2. Waking up without the chronic backache.
3. Getting on the bus and not having to put up with the "don't sit next to me" stares
4. Being able to buy clothes in normal shops and not having to pay the earth for them and actually buying ones which I like and not ones that fit
5. Being able to run on the treadmill at the gym!!
6. Being in control of my portions
7. Learning to eat slowly and savouring my food rather than shovelling it in and barely tasting it.
8. The relief from my daughter knowing that her mum isn't going to keel over from a heart attack.
9. Looking forward to flying without worrying about whether I will fit in the seat.
10. Learning to love myself again

Hi,

I have my op in 2 weeks time and can't wait to start adding to this thread. I want to be invisible too!!:D

I want to shop in normal size clothes shops and run for a bus or whatever.

Anyway I just wanted to say goodluck to all of you post oppers who are doing so well and living your dreams.:D

Take Care

Paula XX

My gastric bypass is the best thing ive ever done, If im going to be honest without sounding arrogant i have found it quite a breeze really. I've had no problems what so ever, my weight loss has been fantastic and my health and fitness have improved loads. I've lost 9 stone in 9 months and have gone from wearing a baggy size 28 to now wearing a fitted size 16 something i could of only dreamed of. For once in my life i am actually looking forward to the summer, my confidence has improved 100%, i now take pride in my appearance and at last enjoy going clothes shopping. My whole family have benefitted from my bypass as i now want to go out and do things instead of sitting slumped infront of the tv all day hiding from the world. If you are hoping for surgery but have reservations then please take my advice....grab it with both hands it really is like getting a second chance at life and i'm sure you will never look back xxx

My gastric bypass is the best thing ive ever done, If im going to be honest without sounding arrogant i have found it quite a breeze really. I've had no problems what so ever, my weight loss has been fantastic and my health and fitness have improved loads. I've lost 9 stone in 9 months and have gone from wearing a baggy size 28 to now wearing a fitted size 16 something i could of only dreamed of. For once in my life i am actually looking forward to the summer, my confidence has improved 100%, i now take pride in my appearance and at last enjoy going clothes shopping. My whole family have benefitted from my bypass as i now want to go out and do things instead of sitting slumped infront of the tv all day hiding from the world. If you are hoping for surgery but have reservations then please take my advice....grab it with both hands it really is like getting a second chance at life and i'm sure you will never look back xxx
thanks lisa,i just love to hear all the positive effects of wls. A size 28 to a 16........WOW !!!!
i can't even begin to imagine how that feels, well hun x

thanks lisa,i just love to hear all the positive effects of wls. A size 28 to a 16........WOW !!!!
i can't even begin to imagine how that feels, well hun x

Hi Sarah to be honest 9 months ago neither would i. I was like you reading peoples posts about how much weight they'd lost only to dream that would be me one day but one day it will be you so stay positive coz dreams do come true xxx

Well I went to matalan yesterday to buy some linen pants for my holls (2weeks on Tuesday) I still buy things one size to big lol. Anyway the girl on the changeing room asked me how many and I said just the one Item she then said "they will bury you":eek: I had to smile as I went into the changing room to my self but Hey! she was right I needed a size 14s. :bliss:I more or less skipped out of those changing rooms soooooooo happy..:happy036:

Well I went to matalan yesterday to buy some linen pants for my holls (2weeks on Tuesday) I still buy things one size to big lol. Anyway the girl on the changeing room asked me how many and I said just the one Item she then said "they will bury you":eek: I had to smile as I went into the changing room to my self but Hey! she was right I needed a size 14s. :bliss:I more or less skipped out of those changing rooms soooooooo happy..:happy036:

Im with you on that - I have worked out Im am a 14 on the bottom, 16-18 still on the top - surely that must mean I have shape?! Granted a weird shape but shape non the less! LOL Not rotund! Lol

1. Being less than 200 pounds for the first time in 7 years
2. Shopping for clothes in normal shops
3. Knowing that when I fly home in May that I will fit comfortably in the seat

i can't wait to be living the benefits. great reading

Back