• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what's that stuff they make you drink the day after surgery?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I can't remember what it's called but it makes your insides show up under xray and they do it to see if there are any leaks. Does everyone have this after bypass and does it taste of aniseed?
Aniseed makes me want to vomit. :(

Is it a barium meal?
xXx

No it does not taste of aniseed, it doesn't really taste of anything other than artificial , if that makes sense.

I gulped mine!!!! Big mistake!!!! Funny though you do drink it as you want to make sure everything is ok.

Just want to add that I did not have an x ray, they just made sure no blue came out in the drain but came out in the catheter c

They did mine was i was still anaesthetised :) result x

Mine too!No leaky!

i had this the day after it tasted like sambuca 2 me, i thought i was guna vomit xx

urgh i hate sambuca. hope they do it to me whilst i'm asleep then.
thanks everyone :)

I had it on the following day from my op, the barium swallow, and yes mine was strongly aniseed, which I also hate! I had to take big sips and swallow on command, then drink the rest of the cupful and return to xray after an hour or so. Being honest it was horrid, I was retching but the nurse told me very bluntly that if I was sick I would have to start again with a fresh cup! I managed it after getting some water and a spit bowl so I could atleast rinse my mouth out in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back