• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When should I start maintenance

Stellap

At goal at last.....
Hi everyone, I'm currently 11 stone 4 (I'm 5ft 5) and BMI is 26.8. I have been getting comments from people saying I should stop losing weight now but according to my stats I still have another 1.5 stone to lose. Can I ask honestly whether looking at my most recent photo I should carry on losing or go to maintenance. I took the following photo just now

stella june28 home.jpg

Hi Stella

Personally, I wanted to be a healthy BMI, so it was important to me to continue through those comments. I still get them sometimes, but I just tell them I will stop when I am medically healthy, and that usually shuts them up.

That doesn't mean it's not the time to start considering what you are going to eat to maintain. I think it's important to do this before you get to that stage, so well done for thinking about it, I am just about to do the same. Maybe we can share tips?

Well done on your fab weight loss!

Rx

You look great in your photo Stella and well done for getting so close to a healthy BMI in just 7 months from surgery.

Im guessing as you are 7 months out that you are still losing weight, so moving to maintenance is something you can start working towards, but it doesnt happen overnight. Start increasing what you are eating by a little each week until your body finds the level of food it needs to maintain. Whilst you are working towards this you will continue to lose weight. Bear in mind that the average woman needs 1800 - 2000 cals a day to maintain her weight. It would be difficult for you to go from what you are eating now, straight to 2000 cals.

I think you look amazingly well. The BMI scale is just a general thing really. As long as you're healthy then I'd follow the excellant advice above. You've done fantastic.

I think you look perfect, but it's so hard deciding what you want to look like and how you want to be. I know where you're coming from coz I'm exactly like you. My BMI shows that I am still 'obese' and yet I always wanted to get to a healthy BMI. I think you need to ask yourself some questions. Do you feel comfortable at your current weight? Do you feel strong and full of energy? If you were told that it was impossible to lose any more weight, would you be disappointed?

I have lost a lot of weight from my top half; my face looks thinner, my shoulders are miniscule and my chest has all but gone but my legs are still heavy. People keep saying 'don't lose any more weight' but they can't see the rest of me, just my skinny chest and face. I'd like to lose some more weight but I haven't lost anything in probably six weeks so I think that maybe my body likes this weight.

I think the choice is yours and nobody else can make it.

However i do think you look absolutely fantastic in your picture....

May i ask what you are losing now on average a week? If it's still good figures (2-3lb a week) maybe you could increase your calorific intake so as to slow the losses down a little and also get your body used to having more calories?

Just a thought from someone wanting to be in your boat xx

No advice on maintenance yet as I'm still a long way off. Wanted to congratulate you on your fab weight loss, and in such a short time wow. I think it's a personal thing really and a lot of factors to consider the biggest thing for me would be excess skin.
Jeanx

I agree with whats been said above , you look amazing and have lost loads of weight - if you feel comfortable then try to start maintaining - its all really down to personal preference and also bear in mind to people who know you there must be a big difference in how you look , its probably hard to get used to x

Thanks for all your lovely comments. My weight loss has slowed right down but I am losing about 1lb a week (more if I eat right). I have lost a lot of my weight from my top half and its starting to look very boney. However, I still have a lumpy tummy (although I don't think that will ever go as I have quite a bit of loose skin). I'm in a size 12 and although I'm still overweight for my height I don't want to get scrawny as I'm frightened of looking older (i'm 46). Thanks everyone for your very sensible advice. I'll carry on until I get in the 10 stone something and see how I feel. You are all amazing and have all done so well yourselves x

Aim for a healthy bmi and see if your loss stops by itself. It does for most people.

Back