• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When to see GP for Plastics?

Louanne79

So, I'm now 7 months post op, and almost 10 stone lighter, but I still would like to lose another 70ish lbs to meet the ideal weight for my height BUT I know I'll never get to that weight with all my excess skin.
I think I look great in my clothes now, but once naked, I'm getting depressed at what I see in the mirror.
My boobs seem to have flown south for winter, my thighs seem to be sliding down onto my calves, and my stomach repulses me. Don't even get me started on my Bingo Wings - they look like pale pink crepe paper covering a deflated balloon. I can't stay like this forever - I'm only 32!!
I'm thinking of seeing a private surgeon for a consult to get their recommendations for surgery, but wondered when might be a good time to see my GP to see if they can assist? Any/all advice is appreciated.

From the start on here I have seen threads about this no GP or surgeon consider surgery of that sort until we have lost what we need to & maintained for two years. Now I may be remembering this wrong & it may be different according to your pct & going privately may be different again.
Like you I have bits that sag & look less than pretty if I'm as lucky with funding as I was for my surgery with plastic surgery I shall be happy indeed if not I will have to learn to live with it but here's hoping. Good luck with your search for your answers.

my PCT (south staffs) categorically states in the gastric surgery criteria that they will not fund any plastics due to rapid weightloss.

personally im hoping by the time i am at your stage and have maintained i will be able to afford surgery to 'tidy me up'

good luck with your journey xx

So, I'm now 7 months post op, and almost 10 stone lighter, but I still would like to lose another 70ish lbs to meet the ideal weight for my height BUT I know I'll never get to that weight with all my excess skin.
I think I look great in my clothes now, but once naked, I'm getting depressed at what I see in the mirror.
My boobs seem to have flown south for winter, my thighs seem to be sliding down onto my calves, and my stomach repulses me. Don't even get me started on my Bingo Wings - they look like pale pink crepe paper covering a deflated balloon. I can't stay like this forever - I'm only 32!!
I'm thinking of seeing a private surgeon for a consult to get their recommendations for surgery, but wondered when might be a good time to see my GP to see if they can assist? Any/all advice is appreciated.

Hey babes
When you go to see Dr Labib next have a word with the team.
When I went last I was told the whole of the Black Country's criteria has changed and everyone has to maintain for 2 years now. Sandwell BMI is 25 and under But I'm not sure what Dudley's is. (The last time I spoke to Dr Haddon she said it was around BMI 27 BUT that was the middle of last year it may have changed now)
If you have any sores or infections take photos and give some to Dr Labibs team for your files. It will help your case
HTH

I should be having my TT on Wednesday 3rd time lucky

lamornamiss said:
Hey babes
When you go to see Dr Labib next have a word with the team.
When I went last I was told the whole of the Black Country's criteria has changed and everyone has to maintain for 2 years now. Sandwell BMI is 25 and under But I'm not sure what Dudley's is. (The last time I spoke to Dr Haddon she said it was around BMI 27 BUT that was the middle of last year it may have changed now)
If you have any sores or infections take photos and give some to Dr Labibs team for your files. It will help your case
HTH

I should be having my TT on Wednesday 3rd time lucky

I have an appointment at the end of Feb, so I'll ask then, thanks Hun.
Wednesday eh? I have absolutely everything crossed for you. :) xXx

lamornamiss said:
cancelled again due to abscess :cry:

You're joking?!? They certainly know how to take the mick.
When will they give you a new date?
xXx

You're joking?!? They certainly know how to take the mick.
When will they give you a new date?
xXx

Hi Lou, The anaesthetist won't risk putting me under with any kind of infection.
The plastic surgeons secretary is off until next Wednesday so can't arrange another date till then :sigh:

lamornamiss said:
Hi Lou, The anaesthetist won't risk putting me under with any kind of infection.
The plastic surgeons secretary is off until next Wednesday so can't arrange another date till then :sigh:

I'm glad that they're not taking any risks, but my gosh you must be frustrated!
I hope they get a quick date for you xXx

lamornamiss said:
Very frustrated
By the time I get the op Lou you will be in the next bed LOL

I'll not stand for them messing you around!!

Hi

As said above, most PCT's will not fund plastics after weightloss surgery. But what they will fund is the removal of excess skin that it giving medical issues, like infections, and skin that is restricting toilet functions.

See you GP and get them to apply to your PCT, if they turn you down you can appeal, so dont be put of if at first they say no.

Paul

I was refused a few years ago,but when I look back no wonder as I had no idea about pct's and funding etc,but this time I'd done my homework n looked at the criteria for my area,when you go to the dr to ask tell him that you get sore,and it affects your everyday life,makes exercise difficult,i filled up with tears too and they weren't put on as it really does upset me and I guess everyone is the same,as it's really not nice at all,my last time I asked was nov 23rd 2011 I got funding agreed yesterday,I wish you all the luck in the world that you get the surgery you so deserve. Ps well done on that weight loss it's fantastic x

Back