• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When you go up to theatre

Thump

Hi, I was just thinking how, thanks in large part to this forum, I was well-prepared for almost everything I went through yesterday when I had my op.

The only bit I didn't really know what to expect was what happens when they take you up to be anaesthetised. So I thought I'd post my experience because tbh it is a bit of a scary experience.

First, a nurse came to show me to the anaesthetic theatre. The doc checked for the third time my info, i think to triple check that we wrre all getting our facts straight. Then I was briefly introduced to the staff there, we all said hello and he informed them all of the same facts we had just checked.

Then, he had me open my gown at the back and lie down on a table shaped like a cross, pulling the sides of the gown from under me. He explained he would have to strap me to the table so I didn't fall off.

It felt very vulnerable lying there, staring at those big lights while some strapped me down and I felt a little weepy, I won't lie. It was difficult to breathe into the oxygen mask, like I had to make an effort but not that different from breathing into the regulator when you're scuba diving.

I just pretended I was in a sci-fi movie, on an alien spaceship or something and they were going to turn me into something cool :) it works for me, you might need to go to a different happy-place ;)

Then the anesthetist cleaned my left hand and tied a tourniquet above my wrist to get a good vein to pop up on my hand.

He put in the IV port and I think he out me on a saline drip to keep me hydrated. I couldn't really see and there were several people talking and moving do I didn't really hear what he said. He then injected me with a blood thinner to help prevent DVT.

Finally, he told me it would sting a little and injected the drug through the IV port. I felt warmth, a little stingy like putting your arm in nettles but not painful, rising up my arm.

It was a bit scary for a second because I felt I couldn't breathe properly, like there was a weight on my chest, the ceiling wobbled a bit and then I blacked out :)

Overall, it was less scary than I expected. It had its moments, I don't like being vulnerable but everyone was nice and competent. They didn't baby me or patronise me which I appreciated. They got on with their business, keeping me appraised but not holding my hand through it. At the end of the day, you want people good at their job, not good at bed-side manner only :)

It seemed like no time had passed when I woke up. First I heard people talking and moving. I felt like I was going to be sick so I said so. I mumbled pretty badly but I also gagged a bit do that made it clear what I was trying to say lol.

I heard a woman's voice say It was trapped wind and she'd give me something. She injected it through the IV port so I didn't feel a thing but felt instantly better and could open my eyes. I was in a recovery room, it was just me the lady recovery practitioner and a couple of nurses tidying up. The woman, Shanti, stayed with me the whole time. I think she was very surprised at how coherent I was almost instantly. I just started asking questions, chatting... My first question was her name. I didn't even give her time to introduce herself, lol.

I mentioned living in India, safaris to the desert, night sky's. We had a bit of a laugh really. She also made me tell her my name, D.O.B, address etc to run through the proper recovery list but I was out of there and being wheeled to my room in under 15 mins.

I was amazed at how quick the op was, maybe 45 mins from the time I went under to the time when I woke up.

I felt a bit of pain but it was the quiet, numb type.

All in all, it was really very easy.

i really enjoyed the anaesthetic,it was the best zzzzzzz id had in ages xx

When I had my op at Sunderland it was nothing like that. They just wheeled me to theatre in my own bed and put the canula in the back of my hand and then put me to sleep. The must have done everything else while I was asleep. Your experience does sound a little intense. Hope that you are okay now though :)

I had my op last Wednesday in Derby Royal, and I have to say my main concern was the wait before the an anesthetic. I needn't have worried though as the staff there and throughout the whole op process were fantastic, really caring and supportive. I usually get into a right embarrassing state as I am about to go under but I had no problem, they were so good putting me at ease.
The care after the op is exceptional and I am in awe of the staff on ward 313 who made the whole experience a positive one.
If you are to pass through Derby for your op try not to worry too much you really are in good, caring, hands.

Back