• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where Did You Have Your Surgery ??

GuRlyGiRL

Live Laugh Love
Hi everyone,

I wanted some advice and was wondering where everyone had their surgery done, here in the UK or abroad?

My BMI is 35.5, so not sure if I will get NHS funding. Abroad seems the cheaper option but I feel nervous going abroad.

I had it done privately in Belgium with Dr. Bruno Dillemans. He is one of the leading experts in the world in obesety surgery.
Can't say that with all the travelling and hotel it worked out much cheaper (alltogether was 9500 Euro), but I knew I could trust him with my life.
Coudln't have made better decision.

Privately at The Spire in Manchester although I went direct through the surgeon. Cost £9,650 in total. That was for a bypass and aftercare. Are you wanting a bypass or a band?

Hi
i went private with WLS group, i had it done in sheffield, but they also do the ops in Brussels too, it was £1000 cheaper to have it done there, but you have to make your own way there and back, so decided to have it done as local as poss
xxx

I went abroad to Czeck Republic with Dr Cierny who is incredibley experienced and looks after his patients from the moment you step into the hospital till the day you go home.
I even got a hug out of him when i was about leave :)

All in all it cost £6490 and i had to go alone as visitors arnt really allowed. xxxxxxx

I had mine done privately through WLS Group, it was performed at the Chelsfield Hospital in Kent, its just the other side of the QE2 bridge.

Depending on what PCT your under in Essex, weight loss surgery is near impossible, you pratically have to be at deaths door for them to even consider it !!!!

Hello Fat again, I have my consultation this weekend with the WLS group and hoping to have a bypass in Kent ASAP, My PCT are not funding wls at all, full stop, so have to go private. How did you find them hun ? thanks love Jan. BTW you look fab x

I was in the UK NHS, I am not knocking anyone tht chooses to pay for there op, and go abroad my only fear would be, and this is from my experience only, I have had lots and lots of complications so what would you do IF there were problems???? and how much after care could you get afterwards, as I feel this is important too!!

Hugs

Hi, thanks everyone for replying. Yes bubblyangie that is my main concern "if" and "buts" going abroad. I was looking at the The Hospital Group, but i've only come across negative feedback. Mona - (my mums name :) could I ask what is WLS Group - because I live near the Dartford Bridge and that will be ideal. If its not too personal could I ask how much your surgery was at WLS Group, I am looking at having the band done. Thanks

Thanks FatAgain, I am going to give them a call now. How did you find the hospital in Kent and the aftercare?

Hi

I had my band with the WLS Group. The clinics are in different locations to the hospitals your aftercare appointments will be at a clinic of your choice.

Good luck!

Thanks FatAgain, I am going to give them a call now. How did you find the hospital in Kent and the aftercare?

The WLS Group give you a choice of hospitals to choose from, obviously I picked the nearest to me.

The aftercare comes within the price you pay for the surgery. Basically its a weekly, then monthly phone call from the WLS Group, checking on your progress and eating. You can call them anytime with questions and queries and they have a 2 monthly meeting you can attend in Harley St.

You have an initial visit to WLS Group offices after your op, they weigh you and discuss how to manage your bypass.

Medical aftercare is not included, i.e. appointments with the surgeon after surgery due to any medical complications.

i have not had my op yet but I am due to have it at Homerton Hospital (london) on 20th October 10. My funding has been agreed NHS

I phoned WLS Group and spoke to a really helpful bloke. I have got an consultant appointment this sunday.

I was also looking at The Hospital Group but havent read much positive feedback from them ??

All the best wishes Zionaka for your op :) I am hoping to have mine done at the end of October too.

I had mine done privately through WLS Group, it was performed at the Chelsfield Hospital in Kent, its just the other side of the QE2 bridge.

Depending on what PCT your under in Essex, weight loss surgery is near impossible, you pratically have to be at deaths door for them to even consider it !!!!

Hiya, my nearest hospital is also Chelsfield Hospital in Kent and I was just wondering if you let me know how the hospital is and how the staff are. I have read that Mr Shamsi El-Hasani is not very friendly :(.

Hi Gurly Gurl, I had mine done at the BMI hospital, Churchill Clementine in Harrow, North London. I saw the consultant privately on Harley Street and had my op only two weeks later. They were extremely efficient and speedy. I had even considered going abroad on the grounds of cost but just decided for my own peace of mind I would rather be near my family (well, at least in the same country!!).

Feeling great only three days out and a very happy bunny! Would thoroughly recommend streamline surgical. Not I am afraid the cheapest but I was happy to pay for the excellent service they provided.:)

Back