• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whey protein drinks

juney_p

i am due to start my 10 day milk diet on 12th dec.
my question is, as i have to drink plenty of milk, is it ok to start drinking the whey protein supplement as a milk shake? during this period?

x june

Sorry dont know the answer to your question but I do know when I have asked at Sunderland about having protien drinks they have told me not to bother and just make sure that I eat enough protein.

I have tried the drinks but cant get away with them for me they taste awful.

Maybe slip them a phone call and ask

Good luck with your op

All the best

Jo
xx

My guess would be no. The milk diet is purposefully designed to every low calorie s that you use up the glycogen stored in your liver in order to aid easy access during surgery.
Adding protein supplements would increase the calories.

Well, I actually did use whey protein mixed with skimmed milk for a couple of my daily milk drinks when I did my pre-op diet, although as Grace points out, you would need to make sure you don't overly increase your calorie intake if you decide to use them. Protein drinks are always a contentious issue...some PCTs recommend them, some don't. Personally, I found them a life-saver after my op when I really couldn't face eating much at all...at least I was ensuring I was getting in a good pure protein source, necessary to help repair and healing after the op. If I didn't have them, I simply wouldn't have got in any protein. I think if you at least have them in, you can see how you will feel after the op and use them if you feel the need.

See i'm with Grace, i'd have probably said no too. But then if your provider says yes i'd guess you'd have to make sure it was a low carb shake. It wont hurt to try a couple of different flavours before your op to see if you like them though :) Good luck with the pre op xx

Back