• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

will a bypass really change your life?

I have a current BMI of 45. I'm obease. I have always been obease. I have never weighed what I should for my height and age. I have lost weight several times but put it back on. I can lose weight by myself, I have proven that to myself and others. But I have failed to maintain or keep it off. Does that make me weak and a failure? Probably yes. If I had been married for 10 years and then got divorced, does that make me a failure? No, that makes me human and human emotion can change a person.

I have suffered with depression since the age of 19. How sad is that?
I became so used to crying and hiding away from the world that it became my comfort zone. The only good thing in my life I felt was things that made me feel better. Food being one of them. Food has also been my biggest enemy, or has it? Am I the enemy for eating it?
The food hasnt done anything to be blamed, it just tastes nice!
Will I like myself more when I have lost weight due to my surgery? Yes I know I will. Others will like me more too because I will not be the person who fakes a smile most days and cracks jokes at herself to stop others from getting in there first. I wont feel the outcast when I go shopping, cinema, restaurant, etc....

Being fat makes me depressed.

All the other c**p life throws at me joins the pile until i no longer feel I can cope. By ridding myself of the core of my mental health problems, I shall be able to deal with other c**p in my life in a better way. I am not ashamed to admit that I can't keep to a healthy weight. I know I am not alone. People have to do what is right for them, whether your BMI is 50 or 28. Overweight is overweight. Anyone deserves to be happy. If you can't keep the weight off at a BMI of 28 then you do what you need to do to be healthy and contented within yourself.

If someone has a small cancerous tumor, they will still need the treatment as much as another person who has a much larger cancerous tumor.

My experiance on this site so far has been brilliant. No one judges no matter what diet, size or weight you are. Everyone who is taking steps to better themselves and their lives needs to be given a round of applause.

I do not have my surgery for another 2 days, but in the time that I have woken up and admitted that my problems are due to my weight, I have gone from taking 40mg of prozac per day to 20 mg every other day and I feel great for that!

If I have to take an antidepressant everyday to make me feel like I can cope with life, Id do it. If I needed to take a painkiller for a headache, I'd do it. If I want to have an operation to help me lose and maintain a healthy weight then I'd do it.

Everyone has different reasons for doing things, who are we to argue with their life choices?

Fantastic post Cowgirl.
I am having my bypass on 4th Nov and it has taken me a long time to reach the WLS road. I do not believe that losing all my excess weight (my BMI is 53) and being healthy via the bypass is going to solve all the problems i have, including depression.
BUT what i do know is, being fat has left me feeling that i have no control over the majority of things in my life...such as food and the bypass will help me regain control, therefore i will be able to cope with problems better than before because my head will be in a better place.

Claire x

Hi everyone, I went to my doctor in september about my weight, I was 19stone 4lbs..... I had lost a stone and 7lbs in five weeks and could see that my skin was springing back as it should. So i thought if I from then on lost weight thru my doctor I would find it easier to get a referral for reconstructive surgery on my stomach and breasts, so the doctor ordered me to have a blood test due to having gestational diabetes, I was pre-diabetic, anyway my test came back normal, two weeks later and I had lost another 4lbs bringing my weight down to 19stones. My referal went thru on the 1st of october, I phoned the weightloss clinic and they told me there was a three month waiting list:eek:,
Sarted on
August 16th - 20 stone 11lbs
August 23rd - 20 stone 5lbs
August 30th - 20 stone 1lbs
Septem 6th - 19 stone 11lbs
Septem 19th - 19 stone 5lbs
Septem 13th - 19 stone 2lbs
Septem 27th - 19 stone
Octobe 4th - 18 stone 10lbs
Octobe 11th - 18 stone 7lbs
Octobe 18th - 18 stone 5lbs :D
I am losing weight quite steadly,e ating healthily as possible and walking 5 times a week for 5miles, trying to tone up my legs as I carry alot of weight there. My sister had a gastric bypass three years ago, she was 30stone and had lost 2stone before the op, she lost weight until about 17stone and has stuck at this, she grazes all day long and has found a way to get the maximum amount of food in her, its not a total failure as she has lost a tremendous amount of weight but not enough for reconstructive surgery. I have seen her thighs with balls of skin and her stomach, but as she is currently actually putting on weight I dont think she will ever lose weight to get down to the weight were she can have all the excess skin cut away. The way the surgery works is by making your stomach smaller, it doesnt change your mind or the reasons you eat, I figured that if I eat less volume my stomach would shrink and after 9weeks I feel it has. WLS is a personal decision for all, its not the easy option and comes with many risks, I am quite comfident that all who have this surgery have tried everything in their power to lose weight and find they can't, and thats why WLS is a god send, I would like to send my love to all who are undergoing this surgery and hope that you get all the after care you need and that you manage to lose the weight and lead healthy lives. I am going to lose weight like big and bouncy because it is working...... I have not exhausted all methods yet, if i fail on this I may try a VLCD next but I am confident of success.

Cherry15

Hi Cherry15!You must be really pleased with your weight loss,what a fabulous start!Dont you feel great as you get control of your eating?Are you on a particular diet or doing it by yourself?Join in anytime for help or just someone to talk to.Keep up the good work.BB:D

Hi Cherry15 wel done and I really hope you reach your goal, I will look forward to following your progress.

Bigandbouncy as you are happily losing weight will you be cancelling your appointment with the surgeon on 15 November?

nope not following any diet, altho I bought a book from a charity shop on nutrition and talked about vitamins and minerals, and I am trying to have a varied diet of foods with more vitamins, especially ones which help hair and skin! I am very suprised at how my stomach is doing, even tho i went up to a size 26 at my biggest and now a 22, my skin seems to be shrinking back better than I thought it would, I dont know if its because I am losing it steadily or its the nutrients or the walking, I don't know if it would have been the same had I done vlcd or had a bypass. The only thing I would say about a bypass that noone has mentioned, my sister is on vitamin tablets and iron tablets for the rest of her life, mainly because the bypass, you dont seem to absorb the nutrients very well from the food, so it really does change your life but like I have said if you have tried everything and this is the very last option to save your life then go for it.

There's been lots of threads on post op vitamins and minerals ;)

Will a gastric by-pass change your life?

back to the original question.

A medical professional has decided that a gastric bypass will change my life and I agree with him.

I am sure the NHS can not afford to waist money on pointless operations.

I am here to learn what I can about WLS and gain the support of like minded people.

Best of luck to those of you who can manage to lose weight in any-other way. I have tried them all and had great success at times then I regained all my weight.

A obesity consultant had decided this will be a permanent addition to my my weight loss struggle. It is a tool that I intend to use wisely. This will add years to my life, i am very grateful.

Thank you everyone for .your support

I have a current BMI of 45. I'm obease. I have always been obease. I have never weighed what I should for my height and age. I have lost weight several times but put it back on. I can lose weight by myself, I have proven that to myself and others. But I have failed to maintain or keep it off. Does that make me weak and a failure? Probably yes. If I had been married for 10 years and then got divorced, does that make me a failure? No, that makes me human and human emotion can change a person.

I have suffered with depression since the age of 19. How sad is that?
I became so used to crying and hiding away from the world that it became my comfort zone. The only good thing in my life I felt was things that made me feel better. Food being one of them. Food has also been my biggest enemy, or has it? Am I the enemy for eating it?
The food hasnt done anything to be blamed, it just tastes nice!
Will I like myself more when I have lost weight due to my surgery? Yes I know I will. Others will like me more too because I will not be the person who fakes a smile most days and cracks jokes at herself to stop others from getting in there first. I wont feel the outcast when I go shopping, cinema, restaurant, etc....

Being fat makes me depressed.

All the other c**p life throws at me joins the pile until i no longer feel I can cope. By ridding myself of the core of my mental health problems, I shall be able to deal with other c**p in my life in a better way. I am not ashamed to admit that I can't keep to a healthy weight. I know I am not alone. People have to do what is right for them, whether your BMI is 50 or 28. Overweight is overweight. Anyone deserves to be happy. If you can't keep the weight off at a BMI of 28 then you do what you need to do to be healthy and contented within yourself.

If someone has a small cancerous tumor, they will still need the treatment as much as another person who has a much larger cancerous tumor.

My experiance on this site so far has been brilliant. No one judges no matter what diet, size or weight you are. Everyone who is taking steps to better themselves and their lives needs to be given a round of applause.

I do not have my surgery for another 2 days, but in the time that I have woken up and admitted that my problems are due to my weight, I have gone from taking 40mg of prozac per day to 20 mg every other day and I feel great for that!

If I have to take an antidepressant everyday to make me feel like I can cope with life, Id do it. If I needed to take a painkiller for a headache, I'd do it. If I want to have an operation to help me lose and maintain a healthy weight then I'd do it.

Everyone has different reasons for doing things, who are we to argue with their life choices?

Hi Thank you for explaining alot of how some of us feel........

Im no preacher

I think some of you have got me wrong,I obviously know that any weight loss will change your life,especially for the good.I am just concerned that some people think they will suddenly become more popular/easier to get on with. Either with friends ,relatives or the people they work with.If you have a personality trait that people dont like when you are fat it will still be there when you are slim.You have to take responsibility for how you deal with people and everything that is wrong in your life is not down to your weight.ie if you are a control freak that wont go away with an op,if you are insensitive to peoples feelings you wont turn into Mother Theresa.But I suppose some people dont see were they hurt or affect others.
I am still going to see the surgeon as I have yo yoed all my life and need an end to it at my age!

I have yet to see anyone on here say they think it will change things that we all know it wont change. People just want the chance to live healthy and happier lives, yes it will help us like ourselves more and give us confidence to cope better with the things we dont like or cant change. I am puzzled as to why you advocate losing weight on a diet but then still want surgery. Is that not exactly what we have been doing??

I understand exactly what you are saying.... having the op won't change your personality... or make you become well liked.... as you may have read some of us have struggled with how people have reacted towards us after we have had the op...
No-one on here as far as i have read believes it will change them in those areas or make them well liked....

Having the op... helps us finally lose the weight, and it changes our personalitys in that we may or do become more confident, happy.....

I do totally understand what you are saying though...... good luck with your journey, you are welcome to pm me anytime you need too..

What I am saying is Im not sitting,doing nothing, putting on more weight while I wait.I want to be fighting fit going into that theatre!I am starting from a positive point of veiw,perhaps I wont get funding,what do you do then?Give up, take out a loan and have it done privately or carry on with a healthy eating plan.What will you do if they dont fund? Vicky x

congrats charliegirl on your funding. I definately feel that my sister needed her bypass, at 30tone she was in serious risk of a heartattack, since losing the weight she has, down to 17stone.... she has met and married a wonderful man and she is hoping to start a family.... so I do think that surgery is answer if you have tried all avenues besides they dont just hand out bypasses or bands willy nilly, and everyone who has one I am sure needs one.
I have just lost another two pounds....down to 18stone 3lbs with jeans and boots on! 36lbs lost in ten weeks!!!!

Wow thats good going cherry, well done....its not easy which ever way we choose, everything has its down sides as well as plus sides, I am just soooo glad I will be on the losing side, my very last fat christmas! Oh just realised next time my family in poland see me I will be slim!!!! xx

Linda,

your family wont know you in Poland!

You better learn the lingo!

What about a Polish boyfriend?

or are you happy just playing with your pussy? CAT I mean, you naughty people who thought otherwise! BAD! Shame on you all.

Linda,

your family wont know you in Poland!

You better learn the lingo!

What about a Polish boyfriend?

or are you happy just playing with your pussy?

lol she'll be probably just glad to see it again after all the weight has gone, I'm just coming reaccustomed to mine :D (/mybad)

Back