• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will I Ever enjoy food again?

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
I wasn't expecting to not enjoy food - I'm 4 weeks post bypass, so just about to go onto soft foods. Can honestly say that I've not enjoyed any food since my op - nothing tastes the same. I know it's early days, but I'm feeling i can't be bothered to make nice food, only to not enjoy the taste! Does it get better? Does anybody feel the same, after say 3/6 months?:confused:

I enjoy and appreciate food far more now than I did before. Purée isn't really the best stage post op, as the look and texture of your meal can put you off.

I eat far better quality food now, and because its in much smaller quantities, I really savour the flavour of my food now. Hang on in there it does get better :)

I'm almost a year post op btw.

Yes! You will enjoy food even more eventually in my experience as food just tastes better. I'm going out tonight to celebrate my birthday and will have whatever I fancy - really looking forward to it. I'll even have a bit of cake :D But, that said, I enjoy food whenever I eat now, but didn't in the early days, because it didn't taste brilliant and didn't look great. You will get there :)

Thanks Yvessa - Have a great evening, and well done - you're very inspirational, not to mention a fountain of knowledge! x

I was exactly the same, everything was bland and tasteless, I'm now 10wks out and been on normal food for 2wks and only just now am I starting to like what I'm eating.
Although I might like something one day and not bare it the following day.
I'm also liking/disliking different things before op.
strange!!!
X

Thanks Yvessa - Have a great evening, and well done - you're very inspirational, not to mention a fountain of knowledge! x
lol thanks hon, but I see myself more as a bowl - I've learnt from others too.

As everyone has said you will definitely enjoy food again, especially the flavours. What you most likely won't enjoy is over eating. If I break the rules and eat too much for me or too fast I spend the next ten minutes with my head down the toilet. So a nice deterrent not to break the rules! I go out for dinner often, cook nice home cooked meals and even enjoy foods I couldn't stand pre op. Like pickle onions, beetroot, green peppers and tomatoes! I especially hated tomatoes but things have changed and they will for you too. Patience is the key :)

Thanks everybody - it's things like salad, fruit that I'm missing most, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to tolerate them x

Thanks everybody - it's things like salad, fruit that I'm missing most, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to tolerate them x
Me too carrie its been 9 months since I have enjoyed a lovely crunchy salad or apple.. Just a few more weeks/months to go I hope

I'm exactly the same not enjoying anything at all I was craving tuna for ages when had it couldn't stand it :( only thing I'm half liking is porridge!

I'm in week 6 post bypass and rather pleased to not be enjoying food like I did before, which made me morbidly obese. I hope I keep the loss of interest for as long as possible TBH.

I'm going to be honest now....No I don't enjoy food anymore,infact I hate eating.
It makes me sad to say this,because after 3 years since I had my bypass I thought it may be different.
I find a lot of foods get stuck and I dump a lot,I can dump on mash potato!!
And if I'm honest I sometimes fear eating,especially when I'm out..so I drink a lot of coffee now.
On saying this you would think I was skinny as hell,my BMI is 31,and I did regain a little but lost it agin.
I eat now to survive not comfort eat,my foods I'm comfortable with are fish mostly.
I cannot eat rice,pasta,bread,potato,meats(unless very slow cooked)..I have to stay away from lots of foods as I either dump/get stuck or I just feel sick.
It's strange though as somedays I can eat no problems nothing gets stuck but then another day I cannot get anything down.
So no most of the time I don't enjoy eating.,but stress I think doesn't help my situation.

Oh!...on Friday night I had a grilled prawn salad with chilli jam and that was the nicest meal I've eaten for 3 years!! And it never got stuck or made me sick x..

Things do get better I felt the same but now I only eat small amounts and now chew for a longer time but starting to enjoy meals again but in a different way

Emmalouise.... Um I've had a few problems, am 15 weeks post op and just moved onto teaspoons of food, am on a ton of drugs, currently got gastritis which is soooooooo soooooooo painful still :sigh:

An apple is probably really stupid. But I'm going to have a bite or two anyway. I just have to do this to regain my sanity :greenapple:

Hi,
I am a newbie (but 18 months-ish post op). I loooovvee food. Probably too much and certainly more than I did pre op. When I was pre op a meal was judged on portion size (the bigger the portion the better the meal). I also found myself eating huge amounts of processed junk and take aways. Immediately post op I went through a phase of being utterly miserable, the puree phase was the worst and if I am honest I sort of skipped it. The pre op diet was as bad, sieved chicken noodle soup started to smell like wet dog and I still struggle to eat soup now...it really put me off!

Now I can eat almost normal portion sizes, pretty much everything I eat it home cooked (no processed food at all!). I have even started making my own bread and freezing it. My diet is so completely different to how it used to be. I now eat real food and really enjoy it. Try not to be downhearted, this phase will pass, you will grieve for food but it honestly gets easier!
x

Back