• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will it change my eating habits?

nakipa

I am thinking about having WLS and have near enough decided on the Sleeve or a wrap. This is because I dont live in the UK and so will have no support after I have the op except by phone or if something goes wrong then the health service here will look after me.

My question is
at the moment I am a serious overeater and also inbetween mealer. I am constantly going out to the kitchen and looking for something to eat. I also eat a lot of butter and cheese and meat. I am not good at eating vegetables. Most things eaten in our house are home cooked as we dont do convenience foods.

My husband can't understand why I want this operation and why I just cant diet and exercise more. I have tried to explain to him that I can diet I just cant sustain it and so continue to yo-yo the recently lost 2.5 stone I have lost and now regained.

I am not massive at 15 stone 7lb but for me it stops me doing all the things I want to do. When I was recently 13 stone 7lb it was truly life changing and I was able to do so much.

My husband continually asks questions about this surgery like if I cant make changes to my diet now then how will it make me change by just having the surgery? I will still eat cheese, butter and meat and so will regain the weight. I just dont have the answers for him and it gives him the edge to not give me his full backing.

Am I kidding myself? Will I be able to maintain weight loss with the surgery or will I pile it back on when my will power is gone? I have never been able to keep my willpower before what is the difference now?

Sorry this is so long but if I cant come up with some answers then my husband wont support me and there is no way I can do this without him.

The key is working on those habits now and owing it to yourself to make your op work.

Some ops stop you being able to eat certain things. My friend had a sleeve and now eats very little and is hardly ever hungry.

The change has to be mental along with the help if the physical op to make it work.

Good luck :)

nakipa said:
I am thinking about having WLS and have near enough decided on the Sleeve or a wrap. This is because I dont live in the UK and so will have no support after I have the op except by phone or if something goes wrong then the health service here will look after me.

My question is at the moment I am a serious overeater and also inbetween mealer. I am constantly going out to the kitchen and looking for something to eat. I also eat a lot of butter and cheese and meat. I am not good at eating vegetables. Most things eaten in our house are home cooked as we dont do convenience foods.

My husband can't understand why I want this operation and why I just cant diet and exercise more. I have tried to explain to him that I can diet I just cant sustain it and so continue to yo-yo the recently lost 2.5 stone I have lost and now regained.

I am not massive at 15 stone 7lb but for me it stops me doing all the things I want to do. When I was recently 13 stone 7lb it was truly life changing and I was able to do so much.

My husband continually asks questions about this surgery like if I cant make changes to my diet now then how will it make me change by just having the surgery? I will still eat cheese, butter and meat and so will regain the weight. I just dont have the answers for him and it gives him the edge to not give me his full backing.

Am I kidding myself? Will I be able to maintain weight loss with the surgery or will I pile it back on when my will power is gone? I have never been able to keep my willpower before what is the difference now?

Sorry this is so long but if I cant come up with some answers then my husband wont support me and there is no way I can do this without him.

This was and is still my concern.
I am 4.5 weeks post op from having a gastric band. I was 15.8 when I started. My issue is portion size. I did the pre op diet with no problem as I knew I had to do it to shrink my liver. Then I did the liquid stage again with no problem because my stomach was so sore and had shrunk anyway so I didn't feel like I needed the food. But when I started eating soft foods (mash, fish pie etc) I got my appetite back and I put on 7lbs of the 1stone I had lost! I was mortified so am now following weight watchers (and have luckily lost the 7lbs again).
I'm not having my first fill til January and can eat completely normal at the moment so have to rely on willpower (which trust me, is hard for me, but choosing to have WLS was a big decision so I'm now in the mindset that this has to work for me - which is helping me make better food choices).
But my nutritionalist said once I start having fills then I won't be able to eat so much and will feel satisfied on less than half of what I eat as a meal now and I'm not a snacker which I think will be a big help. She said I won't have to follow weight watchers or count calories... I really hope she's right as at the moment I'm thinking 'was this a waste of money as I'm still doing weight watchers anyway!' but the nutritionalist assures me things will change! ... So watch this space I guess! Lol.
I know it's slightly different because I've had a band but I'm sure the sleeve works in a similar way where you will feel fuller quicker and won't physically be able to eat so much.
My advice to you would be to try and get into the habit of just eating 3 meals a day with no snacking in between or just snack on fruit (chuck out all the junk)... Then if you go forward with the op, I'm sure that's going to help you control portion sizes. These weight loss operations are not miracle cures and I guess your head needs to meet half way but if you have been looking into having the operation then perhaps you have more determination to lose the weight now than what you are giving yourself credit for. Xx

Thanks for your replies.
I think that is my fear though because I haven't been able to change my thinking before when I have dieted, otherwise I would be a size 10 now.
Why will now be different?

Oooh I dunno now.. maybe I am destined to be huge forever but I really dont want to be. I am 54 now and if I dont do something I am gonna be like my Mum who is 78 and just started another diet!

I really need to think this through.

Thanks for your replies.
I think that is my fear though because I haven't been able to change my thinking before when I have dieted, otherwise I would be a size 10 now.
Why will now be different?

Oooh I dunno now.. maybe I am destined to be huge forever but I really dont want to be. I am 54 now and if I dont do something I am gonna be like my Mum who is 78 and just started another diet!

I really need to think this through.
nakipa, im 50, and my friend asked me a question? "how many morbidly obese pensioners do you see walking around"? not many because they mostly die through weight related ilnesses. At 50 i really dont want to just have about 10 years or so to live. As i will be having a bypass i will hopefully dump on rubbish food, but even if i dont, i wont be able to eat the same amount i was before the op. Good luck :) xxx

I think for me, I had to be at the point where I'd had enough and was willing to put some effort into it. I've had a bypass just over a week ago and if I didn't eat I'd never be hungry again. The amounts you can eat are so small and not all the calories are absorbed from the food that you can eat that you will lose weight. You will only eat cheese and butter a couple of times before it makes you feel so ill that you wont want to eat it again. Of course cheese in small amounts are fine as are all meats but you wont be able to eat large amounts of anything.

Kate x

Well Caren I am an obese pensioner and the reason you don't see me around is because mobility gets more and more difficult with age. I can get to the supermarket but need a trolley to get around with. Yes we are prone to all sorts of illness when we are obese but even those who have survived are tied to the house. I had WLS booked in 2004 in Belgium but backed out. I was 60 then and I can tell you 5 years makes a lot of difference

Although I am pre op for my bypass, I did have a band for 10 yrs (removed 3 yrs ago) Any WLS really is a tool to help with weight loss, I really thought after 10 yrs I had cured my demons and could live in the real world of the non-greeady healthy normal people...how wrong I was. My WLS was the tool that aided me in being successful at maintaining my weight loss, more so than the tool that made me loose the weight in the first place (of course it did help), you still need will power, thought, control and planning to loose the weight, anyone can eat ice cream or suck chocolate after any surgery, for me the WLS was what helped me to maintain the WL for 7 years. I am sure over the years every single person on this site has had a good weight loss from diet and exercise, it's the maintaining that is the hard bit, that is why a band/sleeve/wrap or bypass is of great value for long term health and maintaining weight loss. The removal of my band has really bought this home to me.
Good luck in which ever choice you make. xx

This was and is still my concern.
I am 4.5 weeks post op from having a gastric band. I was 15.8 when I started. My issue is portion size. I did the pre op diet with no problem as I knew I had to do it to shrink my liver. Then I did the liquid stage again with no problem because my stomach was so sore and had shrunk anyway so I didn't feel like I needed the food. But when I started eating soft foods (mash, fish pie etc) I got my appetite back and I put on 7lbs of the 1stone I had lost! I was mortified so am now following weight watchers (and have luckily lost the 7lbs again).
I'm not having my first fill til January and can eat completely normal at the moment so have to rely on willpower (which trust me, is hard for me, but choosing to have WLS was a big decision so I'm now in the mindset that this has to work for me - which is helping me make better food choices).
But my nutritionalist said once I start having fills then I won't be able to eat so much and will feel satisfied on less than half of what I eat as a meal now and I'm not a snacker which I think will be a big help. She said I won't have to follow weight watchers or count calories... I really hope she's right as at the moment I'm thinking 'was this a waste of money as I'm still doing weight watchers anyway!' but the nutritionalist assures me things will change! ... So watch this space I guess! Lol.
I know it's slightly different because I've had a band but I'm sure the sleeve works in a similar way where you will feel fuller quicker and won't physically be able to eat so much.
My advice to you would be to try and get into the habit of just eating 3 meals a day with no snacking in between or just snack on fruit (chuck out all the junk)... Then if you go forward with the op, I'm sure that's going to help you control portion sizes. These weight loss operations are not miracle cures and I guess your head needs to meet half way but if you have been looking into having the operation then perhaps you have more determination to lose the weight now than what you are giving yourself credit for. Xx

My BFF has a GB fitted - it took 6months and she is on the tightest fill in order that she has steady losses, she was a grazer & had large portion sizes and she had to 'diet' initially when she had her band fitted. So just give yourself a wee bit more time :) you will reap the rewards xx

The fact that I cant physically eat the amount of food I did pre op is what keeps me on the straight and narrow.I dont dump on sweet stuff and only get loose poop if I eat too much fat.It is something you work with.
The hardest thing for me is drinking around/with food.I no longer feel as if Im on a diet and fret over everything I eat.No longer wake every morning with the 'Black Dog'of fatdom lurking in the shadows!Life is very relaxed and content for me and I wouldnt swap it for a lottery win!

You do have to work with whichever surgery you have. Some people do slide back into old habbits and it is hard not too.It is possible to eat the wrong foods.You need to have your head in the right place before doing anything like this

All the best whichever you choose

Jo
xx

My question is
at the moment I am a serious overeater and also inbetween mealer. I am constantly going out to the kitchen and looking for something to eat. I also eat a lot of butter and cheese and meat. I am not good at eating vegetables. Most things eaten in our house are home cooked as we dont do convenience foods.

I have all the concerns as you hun.. I have yo-yo dieted for over 15 years and have now been lucky enough to get the money together to be Wrapped :).... have you arranged surgery yet?
My main concern is worrying about going back to my normal ways (god forbid) i can eat eat eat! i often wonder after i have this wrap will my stomach go back to its original size in 10 years??
im thinking maybe the band may be better as it can be restricted as and when.. ooooh decisions decisions. Please continue to post xxx:)

I have all the concerns as you hun.. I have yo-yo dieted for over 15 years and have now been lucky enough to get the money together to be Wrapped :).... have you arranged surgery yet?
My main concern is worrying about going back to my normal ways (god forbid) i can eat eat eat! i often wonder after i have this wrap will my stomach go back to its original size in 10 years??
im thinking maybe the band may be better as it can be restricted as and when.. ooooh decisions decisions. Please continue to post xxx:)

Claire,

Nakipa has had her surgery -- do a thread search for Nakipa -- you can find much more up-to-date threads where Nakipa talks about the surgery she went for.

Oooh, done it for you -- Nakipa went for the sleeve option: http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-diaries/143658-budge-up-im-sleeved-dangerous.html

My question is

I was a similar grazer.
I think the good habits form with help from our 'aversion eating' - that is that we teach ourselves we can't eat the way we did before or we vomit ( 6 times :( ) You wont need will power if your stomach is smaller than the food you are trying to fit in. The right food at the right stage seems to be an important factor. I honestly think if I was still on soft / mushy food Id be at danger of putting weight back on as it goes down so easily - may be different with the sleeve with its intact pyloric valve.

I'm learning that my head hunger gets me into trouble with my stomach - and its getting easier to say no to the head and differentiate between the heads hunger and the more important stomach hunger after a while.
I still have habits to breakbut I'm definitely a different eater.

Back