• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WILL THE PCT LET YOU KNOW WHY

BlueDiamond

Hello and good evening to all

I raised this question in another post by a lady who was turned by the pct for surgery.

My question is ...If you ask the Pct why they refused you are you entitled for them to tell you why ? And if like the other lady they refused her , how would you go about finding out why if the Pct refuse (hyperthetically) speaking of course.

Thanks in advance for reading.....:D

All the best - MeJulie xx

If they werent willing to volunteer the information to you, you could do a subject access request under the data protection act. Then they are bound by law to send you a copy of all the information they hold on file about you.

Hi Julie, I was turned down (twice!) by my local pct and a letter was sent from them (without request) to my GP explaining the reasons why. My GP kindly forwarded this on to me.

Cuppa xx

Hi Julie I have been turned down twice by my pct and they have said it is because I don't meet their criteria for funding and am not an exceptional case. My gp put forward a fantastic appeal to try and prove that I am an exception but they said I wasn't. I am currently waiting to go for tests for sleep apnea which if it turns out I have they said I could have the funding. If not then I can go to appeal again and have a meeting with the chair of the panel (I can take someone with me), he then takes it back to the panel and we go from there. Hope this helps.

Hello everyone, I am finding this site so good!! I too have been turned down for funding twice, and also like the other lady above, have to collect a machine to test for apnoea, but I am sure I don't have it. I looked on the BOSPA website as someone suggested to see what criteria by local PCT have, and it states that it is NICE guidelines, with no extra stipulations (well on the website anyway). I was told last year that there was no appeal procedure, but if I get turned down again this year, I just don't know what I will do.
Thanks again all xxxxxx

You can appeal. You can also ask for the details of the PCT appeal panel under the freedom of information act. You might have to pay £10 for a copy of the details. My PCT wrote to me with the outline refusal but if you are going to appeal you might need the minutes of the meeting. You can also get help with a complaint against the PCT decision. Their is a local group who will help you. I know many PCT are short of money this year as the swine flu has been taken into account.

Good luck with your appeal.

Last edited:
It's so unfair how the system works. I went to my GP last August and asked to be refered for surgery, I went to a group meeting in November. At the meeting they gave you a form to fill in and you had to say you were intrested in having weight loss surgery. It did take a long time from meeting to opp, I seen the surgeon had lots of test, one of them sleep apnoea which I do have. They gave me a cpap machine for my sleep apnoea and I had to use this from July and had my surgery on the 3rd Oct.

The point I'm trying to get to is, not once did I ever hear the words funding, it's only through visiting diff forums I realise how much of a struggle it is for some people. I do sympathise with you and wish you didn't have to go through this and get the surgery you need asap. It is stressful enough making the decision to have this life changing surgery.

Take Care
Jeanx

Back