• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will this mean they will say No now????

madstaffyblonde1

http://tickers.wlsurgery.
My husband had a accident at work 3 years ago in which someone started up the machine whilst my husband was still on it and his leg got crushed, he was diganosed with compartment syndrome and has been unable to work since, two weeks before christmas the company admitted 100% liability but as you can imagine I have had to support the family, my hours were cut 2 years ago from full to part time and so we have had to really stuggle and the relationship has also been effected, as part of the compensation claim a phychology report had to be done on both of us, the report has now come back and a copy sent to our doctors in which it states that they feel I need councilling and a mild anti-depressant, my question is if this go's on my medical records can they stop my surgery from going ahead? I am due to have my 1st pre-op in march in which I have to get some medical records to take with me.

I am sorry to hear you have had such a rotten time of it, and I admire your courage. Because I went private I didn't have any psych evaluations, but personally I think mild depression is a show stopper, however I know more experienced folk will be along soon to give better advice. I hope all goes well for you.

Hun am not 2 sure but so many of us have serious depression and some others have some other mental health issues and have still had their wls.
Fingers crossed for you, hope someone can offer u some more advice xx

hi hun
i wouldnt think so hun. i suffer depression and everything was ok. xxx

Hi,

I have had councelling in the past, and depression for money issues etc.

I don't think it will affect anything todo with your case especially as you have a good enough reason. At St Richards I had to see the phychiatrist for an evaluation and fill out a form asking me all sorts including had I tried or considered suicide!! (which i havent). The only outcome was that they wanted me to have councelling to help me find other ways of coping other than food, or coping mechanisms as they call it.

So if your hospital follows this type of criteria then i am sure you will be fine.

Good Luck and let us know.

Take Care

Paula XX

hi

i was still offered the op and had too see the psychiatrist to say that I am mentally fit for the op. Didnt stop my surgeon giving me the go ahead. HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x

Thanks for all the replies, I am so worried that this report will stop my surgery, I am depressed and have been emotionally unstable and did consider suicide about a year ago this was only a brief feeling as things were getting to much for me to bear, but there is no way I would give up my life or upset and leave my children without there mother, money is not the be all and end all and yes it has been and continues to be a stressful time I don't want the added pressure that this may now end up on my medical records.

Right now it is the thought of the surgery that keeps me going and to have that taken away from me will devastate me

I did not give my permission for anything to be sent to my doctors but has they need to arrange counselling for my husband and we are both under the same practice then it could effect me as well.

I would think everything will be fine. I suffer from depression and am on antidpressants. I think the only thing they will want is for you to have some councelling. If I was you I would go along to the gp and have a chat and they may well give you some antidepressants and get things improving for you. Alot of people have depression caused by being overweight. When I had a physological assessment before starting at my local hospital for weight loss at the obesity clinic they said then that I was border line for depression caused by being overweight. They then gave me some tablets to help with the weight loss and they triggered the depression (the tablets were subsiquently withdrawn). Good luck and remember you are not alone, we are all here to help.

Hi MSB didn't you see Dr Kendrick?
If so he would have been the one who would say if you had a mental problem and surgery couldn't go ahead.
As a lot of people have said on here most obese people have had depression at one time or another some have counciling some have anti depressants and other try and battle with it on their own.
Depression is not something to be ashamed of.

Don't worry I don't think it will effect your WLS .If It did I wouldn't be having surgery for one

I'm on a low dose anti depressant at the mo (due to my problems with my eldest child) and I have been through all the appts including psych evaluation, and I have been approved for surgery...actually got my date for 31st march...

To be honest I don't think it will effect the teams' decision, just be open and honest about what is going on and things should be alright x

It never hurts to talk to a therapist in life. They are there to help after all. I had my psych evaluation in October, I have an attemted suicide on my medical reports and she knew about it, it wasn't problematic. I also take the citalopram for my ongoing depression, its not a sign of weakness. You won't get penalised for that.

Sorry just wanted to ask Tyraboots, can you get citalopram in liquid format for after the op?

Hi, I'm not Tyraboots but yes you can get Citalopram in liquid form. I'm not sure you will need to though as I thought only banders needed liquid drugs otherwise they'd get stuck in the opening? I could be wrong of course! :D

no they can't i have seen counseling and i have depression you'll be OK xxxx

Wow...you're ever so brave and have come so far so don't worry. I had to have a psych assessment after a short spell on anti d's a few years back. It was all fine and if they think you need some treatment they'll arrange it but it won't hold you back.

Hope things go well. Stop worrying :)

I am on a high dose of anti depressants have been for a few years now, I also have an attempted suicide on my records and was threatened with being sectioned a few years ago if I didnt' go in voluntarily. My physciatrist has been very supportive all through from before I got funding so I am sure you will be fine

I have a 20 year history of depression and am on Citalopram. I have not been referred for psych either! I am waiting for a date for bypass.
Citalopram does come in liquid form thankfully as post bypass it is still liquids only for us (so i heard).
Shelley

Back