• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worried about Denial

zeinak

Hello WLS World!

Need to post because I'm so nervous about all of this.... hoping someone has been through the insurance roller coaster before (BCBSofIl).

I am looking for the gastric bypass since I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2012. Because of chronic pain and spaciticity I was unable to workout, to keep my muscle tone, and - already with food issues- I regained a whopping 50 pounds over the past year and a half. Mind you, I already had the gastric band placed and removed by this time, due to the band riding up my osophogous.

So here I am - 193 lbs and 5ft 1, and still under the threshold of 40+BMI. Lucky me, I was also diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and so this co-morbid condition is a qualifier for weight loss surgery---as LONG as I have a BMI of 35 (check) another disease that is on their list.. (hyperstension, diabetes, etc). I don't have any more diseases!!!! And now I'm worried I won't qualify.

The surgery here is $18,000 in my area, the doc is great, but I'm unsure what to do. I'm so close to fixing my weight problem forever - and then the insurance company creates an obnoxious qualification standard and so what? I'm supposed to live like this forever?

I have been an avid athlete and an avid eater my entire life. I was doing well until the MS - but now i feel like I cannot go through the diet life cycle again - not when I know that its so easy to gain it back! I can hardly work out 20 min without needing to rest due to the MS symptoms (and excess weight) and being denied is now making me feel like its the end of all options.

Hoping someone knows how to battle this US insurance companys so I can get my life back!

Hi

I don't know anything about US insurance but wanted to wish you good luck xx

Sorry - can't help but wanted to say hello, and welcome you. Hopefully some US friends will be along soon with some advice for you x

Welcome! I'm a fellow American but living in the Middle East so can't help you out. However, I'm pretty sure that most hospitals in the US require group counseling before and after bypass. Maybe find a group near you and reach out to them? Wishing you the best of luck!

Welcome to the forum! Although I'm American, I've not lived there in over a decade and haven't had to battle the insurance companies there.

You might want to try a US-based forum, since the members there will be up on insurance procedures and have tips and tricks to get better results from them. One I found that looks fairly good: WLS Journey Community Forums [Weight Loss Surgery Support] There's a section for Insurance Talk, which hopefully will have people who can help!

Best of luck to secure funding for this part of your journey! :)

Back