• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Yve's Photo Diary - 4 years on

Chris - I hear you. I've been big all my life. Exercise and a healthy diet have always featured. I have just eaten too big portions and too many carbs (being veggie since 14 has not helped). The only time in my life I managed to lose significant weight was 20 years ago when I lost 6 stone on amphetermines and self-starvation. I kept it off for three years by exercising 7 days a week and eating virtually nothing. Then I decided to try to sustain it by dropping back on the exercise and modestly eating again - it went back on.

I went in to WLS convinced that it would not see my weight rapidly reduce, as I honestly was not eating vast amounts or taking on massively excessive calories. Yes I've lost four stone in as many months but the bulk of that was on the liquid stages, and now I'm back on solids it is torturously slow. I have concluded that I'll make the most of the silver lining which will be minimum saggy skin, and so long as I don't put all the four stone back on then I'm happy. It's still early days for me ... I'm not overly disappointed, just being realistic that I'm probably not going to be a trim size 12. When I lost my weight before I was a size 14, and weighed 13stone.

Yve - you are a star and an inspiration. And so glad to have met you through this forum. Thank you. You look amazing xxx

Christa, your post is an honest reflection of how you're feeling and this forum (I hope) is where you can be brutally honest. I won't presume to advise you how to get out of you're 'funk' unfortunately only you can do that. :( however, there is so much support on this forum I'm sure others have been where you are and will come along with some great support. Sending you a cyber (((hug))). X

The hardest n saddest thing bout this journey is that I was never a small child always overweight ............... At the start of this journey I thought this would be my one chance to be slim, should have known it would be slimmer. If you started off slim the more chance you have to go back down to that size .........

Here I am now still at size 18 14 st 11 ish up n down. Sad that I was naïve and dared to let myself think that I could be smaller than I used to be. Jst never entered my head. I can never remember being a 12 or 14 can a16 but I must have been bout 14 years old then.

Hi Chrisa,

I'm in the same boat as you. Although I have now removed my stats from the left hand side I went into surgery with a BMI of (nearly) 53 and have lost 120 lbs with my sleeve but am left in the 15 stone range size 18 (I am 5'7" tall).

Unfortunately when it came to time to sit down and start realising why my weight loss had been slightly less than I had wanted ...... the lightbulb dropped ..... I was this weight when I was 21 years old. I am now 45 years old. For me to get down to BMI of 25 or 28 would involve going back to "skinny" weights that I weighed when I was 14 or 16 years old.

My bariatric dietician has said to me this probably is my body's preferred "natural set weight" that it is happy to return to ....... I have tried twice to get below the 15 stone barrier with very strict calorie counting and monitoring, and both times my body ended up making me ill ..... it really does not seem to like my attempts to starve it down there.

I have also considered revision surgery. Having chosen a sleeve to start with, I knew that revising to either a DS or a bypass was always an option (at the back of my mind) ...... my bariatric dietician says it is possible that I might not lose hardly any extra weight even after a 2nd revision surgery if this is my body's "natural set weight".

It is still something I am considering, but it is also entirely possible that even if I had chosen a bypass to start with I might be in the same boat, have lost the same amount, and ended up 15 stone and size 18.

Just to let you know you're not alone Chrisa -- us ladies who never were size 12 at any point in our adult lives are (unfortunately) not that likely to ever achieve size 12 even after bariatric surgery.

(((hugs)))

Best wishes to you both -- Yvessa and Chrisa

Sharon-who-doesn't-post-that-often :)

Hi Chrisa,

I'm in the same boat as you. Although I have now removed my stats from the left hand side I went into surgery with a BMI of (nearly) 53 and have lost 120 lbs with my sleeve but am left in the 15 stone range size 18 (I am 5'7" tall).

Unfortunately when it came to time to sit down and start realising why my weight loss had been slightly less than I had wanted ...... the lightbulb dropped ..... I was this weight when I was 21 years old. I am now 45 years old. For me to get down to BMI of 25 or 28 would involve going back to "skinny" weights that I weighed when I was 14 or 16 years old.

My bariatric dietician has said to me this probably is my body's preferred "natural set weight" that it is happy to return to ....... I have tried twice to get below the 15 stone barrier with very strict calorie counting and monitoring, and both times my body ended up making me ill ..... it really does not seem to like my attempts to starve it down there.

I have also considered revision surgery. Having chosen a sleeve to start with, I knew that revising to either a DS or a bypass was always an option (at the back of my mind) ...... my bariatric dietician says it is possible that I might not lose hardly any extra weight even after a 2nd revision surgery if this is my body's "natural set weight".

It is still something I am considering, but it is also entirely possible that even if I had chosen a bypass to start with I might be in the same boat, have lost the same amount, and ended up 15 stone and size 18.

Just to let you know you're not alone Chrisa -- us ladies who never were size 12 at any point in our adult lives are (unfortunately) not that likely to ever achieve size 12 even after bariatric surgery.

(((hugs)))

Best wishes to you both -- Yvessa and Chrisa

Sharon-who-doesn't-post-that-often :)

To be fair this is very true and the smallest I have been is size 16 (very tight!) and I was 17 at the time. That said in my case I seem to be able to go lower so I will just keep trying. Calorie counting didn't help me for long - I've ended up at slimming world and for now it's keeping me happy. But I do agree that we don't all get down to size skinny an that or some of us it's just not right :) good to hear from you Sharon :)

After reading Sharon and Chrisa I'm really questioning myself, I've gone from 22 1/2 stone to 16 stones 1 (today), and my bypass is on Thursday, the smallest I was, was a size 14/16 and hovering at around fourteen stones, I'm really questioning if it's worth it for another two stone loss, but then I'm also thinking of the gain I might make if I don't have the operation as I have all the times in the past. -turmoil-

Yes yes and yes IMHO. At age 18 I was a size 22 and I am now size 18 - the last time I was this size I was 16 years old. Ultimately it's not the clothes size that's the most important, but the health benefits. My sleep apnoea is cured, pcos cured, asthma a million times better, aches and pains gone, I can walk, move, run, dance and I am confident and happier. And to put that into perspective I didn't feel unhappy before - I had a job and a good home life. I'm not suggesting that all journeys are as amazing as mine, but certainly it has been worth every lb.

After reading Sharon and Chrisa I'm really questioning myself, I've gone from 22 1/2 stone to 16 stones 1 (today), and my bypass is on Thursday, the smallest I was, was a size 14/16 and hovering at around fourteen stones, I'm really questioning if it's worth it for another two stone loss, but then I'm also thinking of the gain I might make if I don't have the operation as I have all the times in the past. -turmoil-

Yes, yes, yes .... I also say yes it will be worth it ClaireMarie.

1. You will get the extra 2 stone off (and prob slightly more).

2. You will have a lifelong tool to enable you to keep a healthy weight without ever being able to overeat huge portions again.

For me the lowest weight I had ever managed to get to through "normal diet" was 17 stone 8 (back in 2007 some years before my surgery) ..... I am now 2 stone below the lightest I ever achieved with "dieting" and actually managing to maintain this new 15.8 stone weight with *little* effort.

All previous weight lost thru diets always went back on -- for me my WLS tool does at least keep me in check and prevent massive regain.

Best wishes with your op. :)

Thank you, thank you.

You're right it's not just the weight and the here and now it's a forever ever deal.

I need the help it's getting harder, and I've worked so hard to get here.

Thank you Sharon, you're right that's what I need to have something help me keep it off. You've done so well both of you.

Wow Yve you are like Mrs Pepperpot :D

My fave story as a kid :)

Well thank you all for the comments, I am not upset I have known for a while what has happened and know that this is it for me. Whenever I have joijed a weight loss group I HAVE ALWAYS stopped losing before everyone else they go down a lot further n mine won't budge. I have done all I can and now its just a case of enjoying the benefits. There are benefits, I never regretted the op goodness me never 10 stone slighter is amazing. Just never guna be a skinny Minnie. I would advise anyone to have it done just hope I can keep it at this weight. Thank you all and I am so proud of what you have all acheievd and what you are still yet to achieve. Don't give up I haven't just want to be honest and let people like me know what could happen I was naïve I suppose you don't have to be. xxxx keep up with the good work xx

I've done it before and put it all back on.... I went through with my op as I wanted to lock up my demon and live my life !

No regrets. No idea how much more I'll get off - I can but try. THe good thing though is that portion control is now far more restricted than it used to be, so will hopefully keep me in check permanently.

Yves - you are totally totally amazing girl !

I've done it before and put it all back on.... I went through with my op as I wanted to lock up my demon and live my life !

No regrets. No idea how much more I'll get off - I can but try. THe good thing though is that portion control is now far more restricted than it used to be, so will hopefully keep me in check permanently.

Yves - you are totally totally amazing girl !
Thanks hon :)

That is the ultimate thing - but I do agree with Chris that we need to walk in with our eyes wide open - I think maintenance is still going to be such hard work. But after losing such massive amounts, its got to be worth it.

Interesting thread about the sticking.What is odd is that we have all stuck around the same place!! I have maintained for nearly six months which was not my plan, but in the past i would have been climbing up at an alarming rate.
Portion control is brilliant its just that I am eating too much of the wrong food so its my own fault.
I have stuck at 14st 6lbs. I can't remember when I was ever this light before. I am in size 16/18 clothes 16 on top 18 on bottom. I was in size 26 dress when I got married 31 years ago, I had to have my secondary school uniform made for me, so I am pretty happy with where I am. In my head I yearn for another couple of stone and perhaps I will do that with conventional dieting. I have simply stuck nothing on nothing off!!
My wardrobe is bulging with clothes again and I am in love with my new life.
All in all a great result for me
xx

Interesting thread about the sticking.What is odd is that we have all stuck around the same place!! I have maintained for nearly six months which was not my plan, but in the past i would have been climbing up at an alarming rate.
Portion control is brilliant its just that I am eating too much of the wrong food so its my own fault.
I have stuck at 14st 6lbs. I can't remember when I was ever this light before. I am in size 16/18 clothes 16 on top 18 on bottom. I was in size 26 dress when I got married 31 years ago, I had to have my secondary school uniform made for me, so I am pretty happy with where I am. In my head I yearn for another couple of stone and perhaps I will do that with conventional dieting. I have simply stuck nothing on nothing off!!
My wardrobe is bulging with clothes again and I am in love with my new life.
All in all a great result for me
xx

I was warned that I might stick at around 15 as that's half my body weight.

That makes sense I suppose!! My year check was set for October - which is a year and and 4 months, they have just called and rearranged to the 2nd of January, 18 months out and 6 months after my year check!! Anyone else with rearranged meeting s at luton and Dunstable??

Back