• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol.....

I'm sure my notes say no alcohol until 5 days after surgery, I was going to go out tonight but never.. If I had I'd of been on the cocktails ..

Ohhhh thanks Fizz....will go through my booklet and see if theres anything now....(duh, why didnt I think of this earlier!)

Ok been looking through my Booklet on Gastric Banding....

On Alcohol it says:

Drug and Alcohol Absorption:
Drug and Alcohol Absorption is unaffected by LAGB surgery. Fizzy drinks can cause discomfort and are best avoided. Alcoholic drinks have a high calorie content an should be taken in moderation.

Ok been looking through my Booklet on Gastric Banding....

On Alcohol it says:

Drug and Alcohol Absorption:
Drug and Alcohol Absorption is unaffected by LAGB surgery. Fizzy drinks can cause discomfort and are best avoided. Alcoholic drinks have a high calorie content an should be taken in moderation.

Lucky Sod

If you always do what you've always done , you'll alwAys get what you've always got !

Sorry if it sounds harsh .

Heed the advice that's been given from your surgeon / after care etc

You won't regret doing the correct thing but you may regret doing the incorrect thing

Sorry , but YOU did ask

Alexandrite

I don't drink very often, but I actually found that drinking a 125ml glass of rose wine before a meal out with friends actually relaxed me more and made the eating experience more pleasurable. Purely because I used to tense up when eating out (still do sometimes, when in new restaurants or with friends who don't know my eating habits have changed). Tbh I would not be planning to have maybe more than one drink at such an early stage post op, as the alcohol will affect you far more as your calorific intake will be far less than it used to be. But you are allowed to have fun too...our new lives are about finding the right balance xxx

Just be prepared for it to effect your weight loss because it may only be 100 cals a drink, speaking from experience it DOES impact on your weekly loss. if I've drunk half bottle of wine say at Xmas it can mean I've stalled that week....and that's only 2 large glasses! but so long as you anticipate this and your happy then who can moan....your op..your body! I know from my experience I'm usually filled with remorse n regret however but thats because I've worked hard to lose every week n then blown it :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

My surgeon said you can drink wine after but didn't say when!! I love drinking.. It's a bit daunting if I'm honest thinking I'm not going to be able to drink like I do now! I'm a 6 pints girl!! Haha! Oh well :)

Personally speaking, I haven't spent all this money to even contemplate alcohol!! I'm not much of a drinker but even if I was it wouldn't even cross my mind! A good time can be had without the aid of drink! Try it!! You will be surprised!!

Hi i am coming up to 9 months post op and had bypass, i used to love drink i believe its what added to my weight over the years, however since my op for the first 6months i may have had 1 small glass once a fortnight but had water the rest but have been out a couple of times now and had a drink but nothing like what i used to have might have a small wine diluted with diet lemonade, vodka diet coke, stir well and the fizz does come out while its standing there. Iwas out last night i had 3 house vodkas and diet cokes that was me, when we got home we had a toastie ham cheese and tomato good night was had and didnt feel deprived. had drink and food but not over the top. moderation is the key i could drink an awful lot once over but have reigned it right in now, but still enjoy it and still not been drunk.... yet!!! xx enjoy xx

Two weeks i think is too early. I would wait at least till you are threw the stages. I was about 10 weeks post op and tried a vodka and orange but couldn't manage it. Just didn't appeal to me. Now iam 14 months post bypass and have a drink on a weekend usually sat and Sunday but I must warn you it's soooo easy to overeat after alcohol x

One of two drinks in a week or fortnight isnt going to overload your calorie intake or really kill your weight loss....Surely.
As someone said earlier I would try it at home first there would be nothing worse than it disagreeing with you in a pub, at least if your at home and your body cant cope you know what the answer is good luck with whatever you decide x

Hey gal my friends have had bypass thay drink wine now and waited bout 8 weeks I think every ones different I had my op last sat and feel as fit has a fiddle good luk z

wheni was banded a few years ago.... one glass of wine and i was gone!! 2 and i was dancing.... on the nearest reinforced table. you will be surprised how little you can drink and how long it will take to drink one. i do agree that 2 weeks is a bit soon... but i also get your side.... at 34 you should be enjoying your nights out to the max. i used to mix still mineral water with white wine... not too bad once you get used to it and takes a long time to drink. i would avoid spirits for a few weeks, you are very tender inside for at least 6 weeks. good luck, enjoy your evening

peronally i think two weeks post op is too soon to have a drink... i would say the best thing to do would be to ring your biatric team and see what they advise as all hospitals and teams are different. some people are told not to drink until a year out... others say you can drink after a couple of months... i rang my team when i got to 4 months post op and they said it was ok as long as i had a drink the week before at home to see how i was first and to have something to eat with it x

Ah Brilliant...someone whos had a drink!

Have you had a band or bypass or sleeve?

As is usually the case in this type of thread all you really want is to have your decision to drink booze at two weeks out approved. Well it's your body do what you like with it I'm sure your surgeon and the NHS would be real chuffed that they spent the ten grand on someone so committed to making their investment worthwhile, well done you

How did you get on bluebutterflier?x

Karlos said:
As is usually the case in this type of thread all you really want is to have your decision to drink booze at two weeks out approved. Well it's your body do what you like with it I'm sure your surgeon and the NHS would be real chuffed that they spent the ten grand on someone so committed to making their investment worthwhile, well done you

I have to agree with this reply I'm afraid!! I paid for my surgery so am doing my best not to jeopardise it! I know someone who had it done on NHS 2 years ago and totally abuses it!! But as Karlos stated its their body so it's up to them!!

tanychance said:
I have to agree with this reply I'm afraid!! I paid for my surgery so am doing my best not to jeopardise it! I know someone who had it done on NHS 2 years ago and totally abuses it!! But as Karlos stated its their body so it's up to them!!

Interesting how those of us who have paid privately seem more committed on this! Just goes to show we value our hard earned pennies more! So many banders say it doesn't work but that's only when we don't work with it....it's a big learning curve but I'd not be without mine now!! How are you getting on tanychance?

Back