• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 days post op , feeling great...when can I move to puree stage ?

los in it

I know its only 10 days post op , my drinking has got better im out and about my wounds are healing great and I have had no wind to speak off, overall I feel fantastic
so with all that in mind I feel more than ready to move onto the next stage puree
is this wise or should I wait till the end of the week and try to speak to a nurse at the hospital that I had my wls at?
I look forward to your comments

Butterfly_lady

Yes ask what your team says to do I had to wait 4 weeks before I could start on puree's :)

Bear

I think every provider is different. The literature I had from mine said 3 weeks liquid, 3 weeks purée then soft foods and not to attempt things like pork until nearly 6 mths. Then, when the dietician spoke to me in the hospital, she initially said 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks purée etc but then said to stick to the surgeons instructions.

As hard as it is, this cost me a lot of money and I can't risk stretching / damaging my new sleeve, so am going to stick to the 3 weeks. It can take that long for the internal swelling to subside.

Mrs Z

Everyone is different. In on purée now and only 12 days post op. Went onto this from liquid stage. Got soft food at 4 weeks and introduce normal diet from week 5-6.

Purée cauliflower with low fat cheese spread mixed through for tea tonight. Lush.

Hope you get a quick answer from your team.

A.Positive

Arghhh! I missed that you had had your op! Congratulations matey and all the best. Xxx

Bear

I wonder if it's a difference between a sleeve and a bypass at all? You'd think all these surgeons would get together and agree on the same thing!

Yvessa

Do both. Follow your instructions but ring your team.

Mrs Z

There does seem to be such a vast difference on our info. Mine is a bypass and I've stuck to the 'rules' like glue. Reading other people put things on here and it's so differently what I've been told to do is confusing.

Kar8858

I did three weeks liquid then moved to puree, i would stick to what your surgeon said, puree still hits you like a train at first. You could cause a tear in your staple line as the stomach has to work harder to digest puree. Hang on in there...

los in it

Update ****
Just spoken with the baratric nurse at homerton re moving to next stage , she has advised a few more days on the post op liquid diet for the rest of the week but maybe thicken the liquids im taking thicker yogurts and custards so I will stick to the plan as even if I feel great they know what they are talking about feel better for talking to her

Stacey83

Glad to hear you're on track and got some expert advice! Have you tried blending some of the chunkier soups to remove the lumps? M&S do an amazing chicken, rice and mushroom one that blends up beautifully.

I'd also suggest making smoothies at home and adding in half a banana to make a bit thicker and trying those really thick Danio yoghurts.

Sounds like you're going really well, brilliant! X

natclaire33)

I go in for my sleeve next tuesday, was told at my pre op last week that the day of my op on the ward afterwards I will have 30mls of water to drink every hour, then the following day I will start the puree, which the nurse said I will be on for 4 weeks,

Have some puree's ready in the freezer for few days after the op, and if I fancy anything different will have a go at making it

los in it

that's a great idea Stacey I was thinking how to safety thicken up my post op liquids and didn't think of bananas as I didn't think I could have it
only have 4 days to go then on to purees
thank you all for your kind reponses

natclaire33)

Got home from hospital a couple of hours ago after having the sleeve on tuesday, I had just water on tuesday, free fluids on wednesday and started the puree stage today and this will be for four weeks, i had my op done in portsmouth

Marcos

My freezer is getting clogged up with tubs upon tubs of blended soup.knowing me they'll tell me soup but nothing with onion or tomato ingredients.ill be opening a soup kitchen in my garage for the homeless!

Kaz50

I’m 2 weeks post op from a gastric band and was told 2 weeks fluids, 2-3 weeks purée/soft foods then introduce solids.
I have to say, I have been for the past 3 days eating sloppy scrambled eggs, mash pots and veg as I’m hungry.
Still loosing weight and very pleased with my progress.
If unsure speak to a team member for advise.

Good Luck x