• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wind Pains/Bloating for life after Gastric Bypass ?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Since my surgery 2 years ago,I suffer with chronic wind pains and bloating.
It can be really painful that it takes your breath away and so much you cannot walk.
I've mentioned it to the hospital where I had surgery and it didn't cause them concern.
I also mentioned it at my gps and was given buscopan.
I've read and read on the Internet about these pains,and apparently it can be something you have to Live with after surgery due to the new replumbing! There seems to be a lot of info on USA sites about this,and it's called Charlie horse pains??
I was curious to know if anyone else suffers with wind pains?
I thought it was just after surgery when gas is released but seems not! And it fills me with dread knowing I may have to put up with this forever.

chrisa

Emma I have had a few bouts like that i didn't put it down to that but one day had to come home from work the docs said it was bowel colic which realy is wind, they give me buscopan, it does help, I have in the last month had nutha 2 episodes of it at work and have connected it with different foods but can still eat them sometimes so could well be something i have to live with. It is very painful, my pain is bit like labour in childbirth comes and goes have to make me self go to the toilet, sometimes I can go several times bit like dumping so thought it was a form of that, not realised was something that was common in bypasses. I don't seem to get bloating, but the pain is awful. I work in a school as a Lsa so its not good having to excuse myself then go and sit in a little room to be near the toilets should i have to go takes bout an hour to subside, once the real bad pains get goin, usually have niggly pains bout an hour before that. I will certainkly read upon thta thank you. xx

emma-louise

my new life!!
chrisa said:
Emma I have had a few bouts like that i didn't put it down to that but one day had to come home from work the docs said it was bowel colic which realy is wind, they give me buscopan, it does help, I have in the last month had nutha 2 episodes of it at work and have connected it with different foods but can still eat them sometimes so could well be something i have to live with. It is very painful, my pain is bit like labour in childbirth comes and goes have to make me self go to the toilet, sometimes I can go several times bit like dumping so thought it was a form of that, not realised was something that was common in bypasses. I don't seem to get bloating, but the pain is awful. I work in a school as a Lsa so its not good having to excuse myself then go and sit in a little room to be near the toilets should i have to go takes bout an hour to subside, once the real bad pains get goin, usually have niggly pains bout an hour before that. I will certainkly read upon thta thank you. xx

Hi chrisa,

I too take buscopan for it,and I know what you mean about the pain coming in waves.
There is definetly more information on the American sites regarding people suffering with this,after having a bypass.
I was curious to know if anyone else on this site suffers with these pains like me and you chrisa.

chrisa

Think it always helps to know we are not on our own and that somone else knows exactly how we feel. I only take buscopan when i feel it coming on do you? For a while i wasn't sure if it was ab it of dumping, cos it can be similar but didnt have the sweats like a dumping session so think thats the difference for me anyway, or the light headedness just waves of pain n visits to the loo at the end of copuple of hours but once I have been upto 5 times it ends up as v loose bordering on diahorrhea but then everything is out of my system and the pains stop. The last 2 episodes , av been nasty, the time before last I had on the morning starting bout 10 n finishisng boiut 12 ish. I went to the gym at 4 had good work out then on the night and the next day my tummy just wasnt right so this week when it happened i didnt go to the gym its a vicious circle bad tummy no gym, no gym loose skin. Just plodding onwards and riding the crests but hating the dips. xx

hmd12

I had my bypass 12 months ago and have been suffering from this problem since May. Sometimes I can go 3-4, weeks without a problem and sometimes I'll get 2/3 episodes a week, mine usually come on gradually until I'm in intense pain, doubled over if I try to walk, but its not usually accompanied with the runs or anything like that, it's purely tapped wind, I can feel it bubbling around across my stomach. Usually once it hits me it lasts most of the rest of the day. Lying down with a hot water bottle seems to bring a little relief. I'm thinking of going to my gp to get something to help as nothing I take of the shelf seems to touch it

clar01

I'm only 4 weeks out and am getting it regularly and it feels different from the wind pain I got immediately after the op.
I have a low pain threshold (wimp) so sometimes take a painkiller it's that bad.

I find a peppermint oil capsule swilled down with some hot water (as hot as you can take it) helps to move the wind around. As soon as I have had one I hear it all bubbling away!

chrisa

If i am at home and it starts I lie flat on my bed on my stomach take a buscopan and let it move that way, can't do that at work just have to go through the pain.xx it is a difficult situation x

emma-louise

my new life!!
hmd12 said:
I had my bypass 12 months ago and have been suffering from this problem since May. Sometimes I can go 3-4, weeks without a problem and sometimes I'll get 2/3 episodes a week, mine usually come on gradually until I'm in intense pain, doubled over if I try to walk, but its not usually accompanied with the runs or anything like that, it's purely tapped wind, I can feel it bubbling around across my stomach. Usually once it hits me it lasts most of the rest of the day. Lying down with a hot water bottle seems to bring a little relief. I'm thinking of going to my gp to get something to help as nothing I take of the shelf seems to touch it

God!
I could have wrote this myself,yes your right you can feel the bubbles,and trying to walk is impossible!but I force myself to try and push the wind out.
I also have a water bottle to ease it when it bad.
Like chrisa I take buscopan the minute I feel it starting.
But I'm a bit miffed that this was not mentioned as a side effect of bypass surgery.

hmd12

To be honest Emma Louise even if it had been mentioned I would have still gone ahead, ive lost 8 stone in the last year, I feel so much better all in all, I feel that having to put up with this is a small price to pay, hopefully in time I will learn what brings it on, how to try and avoid it, and hopefully a trip to my gp will get me some sort of magic pill to help elevate the symptoms quicker when it does strike me down

emma-louise

my new life!!
hmd12 said:
To be honest Emma Louise even if it had been mentioned I would have still gone ahead, ive lost 8 stone in the last year, I feel so much better all in all, I feel that having to put up with this is a small price to pay, hopefully in time I will learn what brings it on, how to try and avoid it, and hopefully a trip to my gp will get me some sort of magic pill to help elevate the symptoms quicker when it does strike me down

Yes I too would still have surgery even though these pains are bad.
It's a small price to pay,just wish I could have been warned and perhaps had proper meds to deal with it.

hmd12

emma-louise said:
Yes I too would still have surgery even though these pains are bad.
It's a small price to pay,just wish I could have been warned and perhaps had proper meds to deal with it.

Absolutely, let's hope we can find thing that can help, I'll keep you posted if I do

emma-louise

my new life!!
hmd12 said:
Absolutely, let's hope we can find thing that can help, I'll keep you posted if I do

Cheers I'd be very grateful if you ever get yours sorted and you could offer info my way,and I'd do same x

I have had the same so I went to the chemist for advice. She recommended Gastone one a day but it's 4 for bad cases. Neurtalis & Absorb Gas it states on the bottle and boy does it work.It is basically charcoal tablets. I did check first and was told they were ok to take. I also have peppermint oil in hot water

Lawstudent

This is happening with me, and has done since surgery a week ago. It is awful. I have found Kolanticon gel works well but I have been put on to Infacol drops today so will try that. I feel utterly depressed, I daren't take anything except water and even then it still happens. I have done nothing but cry since having the op for this very reason.

Paul-H

Wow you poor lot, what a thing to have to go through. I must be one of the lucky ones, I am about 8 months post op and not had anything like this.

I must admit some of the issues do sound like some of the symptoms of dumping syndrome, Hot flushes, stomach pain, diarrhoea, and sometimes vomiting and blinding head aches. Not everyone gets all the symptoms and some unlucky people get all the symptoms, all i get on the few times i have dumped is the blinding head ache, so it might be worth double checking you sugar intake, just in case you are slipping something in with high sugar without knowing it. 6gm per meal is said to be the maximum, and example of how things can slip through is Ovalteen, that's got 24 grams of sugar, plus all the carbs in the milk, its a veritable dumping cocktail.

The other thing that is worth checking out is if you have for some reason developed IBS. As for some of you Boscopan worked and Boscopan is one of the over the counter treatments for the symptoms of IBS. so it might be worth asking your GP to send you for test.

Other than that I wish you all the best and hope you get this resolved soon.

Paul

Lawstudent

I am on water only for 72hr and no sugar has passed my lips so not dumping for me. It is terrible!

emma-louise

my new life!!
Paul-H said:
Wow you poor lot, what a thing to have to go through. I must be one of the lucky ones, I am about 8 months post op and not had anything like this.

I must admit some of the issues do sound like some of the symptoms of dumping syndrome, Hot flushes, stomach pain, diarrhoea, and sometimes vomiting and blinding head aches. Not everyone gets all the symptoms and some unlucky people get all the symptoms, all i get on the few times i have dumped is the blinding head ache, so it might be worth double checking you sugar intake, just in case you are slipping something in with high sugar without knowing it. 6gm per meal is said to be the maximum, and example of how things can slip through is Ovalteen, that's got 24 grams of sugar, plus all the carbs in the milk, its a veritable dumping cocktail.

The other thing that is worth checking out is if you have for some reason developed IBS. As for some of you Boscopan worked and Boscopan is one of the over the counter treatments for the symptoms of IBS. so it might be worth asking your GP to send you for test.

Other than that I wish you all the best and hope you get this resolved soon.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Dumping when happens causes me to go hot/bad cramps/sickness and wanting to sleep.
These pains are like a sharp stab/twisting pain in the tummy area.
And my tummy swells up and goes hard.
It normally happens with me when I'm bending/sitting or being more physical.
The pain does pass after a while but it's not brought on by eating I've found x

emma-louise

my new life!!
Lawstudent said:
This is happening with me, and has done since surgery a week ago. It is awful. I have found Kolanticon gel works well but I have been put on to Infacol drops today so will try that. I feel utterly depressed, I daren't take anything except water and even then it still happens. I have done nothing but cry since having the op for this very reason.

I'm over 2yrs post op now,and the first week or so wind pains are quite normal,as you've been pumped with gas.
What's kolanticon gel?

Paul-H

Hi Paul,

Dumping when happens causes me to go hot/bad cramps/sickness and wanting to sleep.
These pains are like a sharp stab/twisting pain in the tummy area.
And my tummy swells up and goes hard.
It normally happens with me when I'm bending/sitting or being more physical.
The pain does pass after a while but it's not brought on by eating I've found x

Ok when you say your tummy area are talking orotund the naval area or under the ribs, you stomach is mostly under the rib cage area, around the naval area then that's you intestines and bowl, and hence my thinking IBS.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

Paul

chrisa

Mine tends to be below the naval which I think is why the doc thought bowel colic, whatever it is, its bloddy painful when it comes, thankfully I don't have it everyday like Emma. xx