• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks post op...and feeling depressed

Hi mermaid sorry your feeling like this. What support do you have from the hospital. May be it would be worth speaking to the bariatric nurse, Did you have a psycological assessment beforhand if so maybe you could contact the psycologist to maybe help with some coping stratagies whilst you adjust to yr new regime.
Equally ot maybe something that passes but if it doesnt make sure you speak to someone.
Hope you feel more positive soon
hc

Hello,

What your feeling is so normal, I had my bypass almost a year ago and not long after surgery i can remember being out with my family and crying cos they were eating and I couldn;t have a bacon bap...thinking back I feel quite silly now, depression is normal my love and you will overcome it....as someone said, depression after general is normal, but also coming to terms with such a major operation that changes our lives can cause this too....you will get used to things, it just takes time.
As for slow weightloss, surgeons and dieticians sometimes forget to inform patients that it is normal for weightloss to stop in early weeks...this is due to our bodies going into shock at the loss of food, the body thinks it is not going to get any more and so holds on to your fat stores...once it realises its getting food weight will begin to come off...it happened to me and happens to alot of people, but hey....I lost 8st in 6 months so please try not to worry. As for feeling tired, come on!!!! you have just had major surgery, your not eating much food at the moment so energy intake is low, if you feel the same in a few weeks then I would suggest going to the GP and requesting a b12 jab, but energy levels will increase in time...just give your body a chance.

If I can help any further then just let me know.

Mandy x

thanks for all advice...including swizzles which i DID take as supportive...even though i was a little sick after tea, i have felt better today (oh my god look at the time, i mean yesterday!). i actually listened to my body and decided i didnt care what anyone would think and i had a lie in til about 10 then made beds etc...was about to get dressed and thought, no, sod it...so i spent the day in my fluffy pink dressing gown watching the snow fall outside!x

mermaid i changed my ticker to reflect only the weight loss post op and then wrote up the previous loss in the signature so i can guage hpw fast i am losing from the bypass. As you can see up until last saturday i had only losy 9lb in 3 weeks!

what a good idea...i have now changed my ticker to reflect post op weightloss only...but have left my side bar origional :)

mermaid i too spent the afternoon in bed napping, i had a lousey day again, but once i woke up i stocked up on foods and fluids and i had more energy then at any time in the previous week. I am going to talk to my dietitian today i do not think another week on puree will help me, the foods i had were soft ones lol ie scrambled egg, protien shake and a few grapes spat the skins out this all helped so i think perhaps its time to move on and allow my body to adjust.

Hi Mermaid
hope you're feeling a bit better!
I'm six weeks post op and can start 'normal' food today. I've been very lucky in that I haven't had any real nausea or problrms with food. However I did have a 'wobble' about three weeks ago when I thought it wasn't going to work etc etc but I'm over that now! The most I have lost in a week is 4 pounds and it's usually just 2 pounds so don't worry about the weight. The way I see it the slower it comes off the less flab I will be left with and the more time I will have to adjust to the new me! I get fantastic support from from the company I had my op with. I can pick up the phone any time and ask them anything and always get good support/advice - don't be afraid to ask for help. Remember our food 'prop' has been taken away from us and so we have to do a lot of adjusting to do. xxx

Hey Mermaid, it's 4.59pm and I too am sitting in my fluffy pink dressing gown lol....At least you had an excuse for it;)!

Mermaid,

I last weighed myself at two weeks post-op and had lost 11 lbs and I must say I'm quite happy with it. I think if it came off too fast, this journey would be over too soon for me. I've spent all my life yo-yo dieting and I love the feeling I get that the weight is coming off at a steady rate.

One thing to remind urself of on your down days is that even if the weight is coming off at a slower rate, you are saying goodbye to the weight............not see you later!!! Thats worth its weight in gold x x x

Don't beat yourself up, you made a hard decision, it will take time to get used to it, enjoy the ride x x x

Take Care x x x

Hiya.

Yout not alone ive been through the mill aswell,
try not to think about it and maybe watch a film in the real hard times, And also goto see your doc he can help with the stressful feeling and can also gibe you something for the sickness.

I dont think there is anything anyone can say to make you feel better, but hang in there you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. and yes today is a bad day for me right down in the dumps but i know it wont be for long, maybe im just very tired today from being drunk all weekend :D:D:D i was naughty.

i hope all gets better soon

hi frosty,
have u ad bypass...interesting to see u been drunk all weekend im missing my glass of red...but not sure when its safe to indulge myself again???

hi frosty,
have u ad bypass...interesting to see u been drunk all weekend im missing my glass of red...but not sure when its safe to indulge myself again???

i had a bypass 4 weeks ago and had a few...(well 11 actually! 4 double smirnoff and cranberry and 3 single baileys over ice)...drinks just over a week ago and i was fine. i know some surgeons give out not to drink for anything up to a year post op(!) but mine just advised me that aslong as not fizzy and i felt 'ok' it was fine but to bear in mind they are empty calories and as a bypasser you do tend to dehydrate quicker...so as usual i took my bottle of water to bed and everytime i woke up i had a swig...next day fine, no hang over or anything.:)

Back