• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 & Half Hours to go & still undecided

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Just 4 n half hours to go to my 1st appointment at Heartlands Hospital.

I've nearly read my book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" which I would advice to anyone it's a really good book which starts from the beginning right through to the end.

Trouble is I am still undecided wether to ask for Banding or Bypass. I've read that much about both these past 4 weeks that my head is now tired. I go to bed thinking of WLS and wake thinking of it... lol

I just hope by going for my 1st appointment that the consultant doesn't tell me to go away until I have decided.

I know I have a problem with portion size and that I like savory as well as sweet things. Sometimes I can go without chocolate but then will binge on it instead of eating a meal.

HELP! :eek:

hi hun
i snack a lot and i was condsidering the band but the dr said i would benefit from the bypass better, so he told me what i was having lol
good luck for today x

The surgeon will help you to decide by discussing your eating habits. But ultimately the decision is going to be yours.

When I went for my 1st appointment I was going for the band but after they told me the success rate of the band which was about 70% and the bypass was 97% I changed my mind, they also reminded me that I would only get funding once and having read about people who had had the band then had to have the bypass afterwards, I thought the bypass was the best bet. They also said that you were restricted with certain foods with the band and not with the bypass. So all in all I felt the bypass was for me, but whether the info was right or wrong I had the bypass 3 weeks ago and feeling fine but just struggling on fluids but I know it wont be forever!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Anez xxx

The consultant was pushing for the Band...

I have to lose 1 and half stone first before he will pass me onto the surgeon, I have to go back again in 3 to 4 months!

I was for having a bypass but because he was pushing for the band we just left it as that as I have to go back again, I will ask to see the head consultant when I go back again so I can talk in more depth about the bypass before he refers me to the correct surgeon.

The dietician did say that she thinks the band would be suitable for me but what I have read about cheating with it then I am more inclined for the bypass... I can just imagine me still eating chocolate or biscuits dipped in tea if I wanted a sweet fix which will defeat what I am trying to do... I have zilch will power!!

I am going to just tell them I am not going to entertain the idea of the band.

Do you have to call them when you lose the weight or do you have to keep it off until the appointment comes in the post?

He just said he will see me again in 3-4 months time FL.
I am going to lose the weight and then start phoning them again to annoy them until I get a cancellation appointment again.. I'll probably do that in 6 weeks time so I can lose the 1.5 stone & hope I can fall lucky again to get to see them a few days later like last week.

Good luck on Monday and don't forget to let me know how you got on. What time did you say your appointment was?

The consultant was pushing for the Band...

I have to lose 1 and half stone first before he will pass me onto the surgeon, I have to go back again in 3 to 4 months!

I was for having a bypass but because he was pushing for the band we just left it as that as I have to go back again, I will ask to see the head consultant when I go back again so I can talk in more depth about the bypass before he refers me to the correct surgeon.

The dietician did say that she thinks the band would be suitable for me but what I have read about cheating with it then I am more inclined for the bypass... I can just imagine me still eating chocolate or biscuits dipped in tea if I wanted a sweet fix which will defeat what I am trying to do... I have zilch will power!!

Hi Jezabelle

Just because people can cheat it doesnt mean you would ;) There is no reason why you couldnt have the odd biscuit either, you dont have to be saint 100% of the time, denying yourself may make you more likely to cheat (I know it would me :cry: ) Did he explain why he thought the band was better?

Good luck with which option you chose x

Thanks so much. My appointments are at 3.20 and 4.00. I will tell you how you get on.

To be honest Maryann I don't think he knew alot and neither did the dietician, she knew about foods but I got the feeling not so much about the procedures as she too was pushing more for the band.

The consultant I seen doesn't actually do the ops he just takes the details and then decides who to pass you to next, in my case it's back to him until I shed this weight he wants me to lose.

I will see what happens at the next appointment.

I am pretty good when on a strict diet and I know whichever I have done I will work with it.

Hi Jezabelle

Just because people can cheat it doesnt mean you would ;) There is no reason why you couldnt have the odd biscuit either, you dont have to be saint 100% of the time, denying yourself may make you more likely to cheat (I know it would me :cry: ) Did he explain why he thought the band was better?

Good luck with which option you chose x

Good luck in deciding which procedure to have. I have a band and have found will power I never knew existed lol. If I want a biscuit I have 1 or 2 where as before I'd have dunked half a packet. Your mind works different with the band because you know how much you can eat. With the bypass you have to have the will power too because if you eat the wrong foods then you dump (sweat and vomit and feel ill) so either op has to be worked with.

Back