• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Only four sleeps until im banded! Eek!

chappers

.... So the nerves are really kicking in now. My pre-op diet is going well and I've lost 12lb in ten days which I know is glycogen but it means my liver should be smaller so my surgeon should be pleased as am I.

I'm gradually getting my bag packed and ready. The hospital gave me a special body wash to use five days prior to surgery. Did anyone else have this?

On the home front, hubby is still being a moody, unsupportive arse though he does confuse me as he keeps going on about my birthday (the day before surgery) how he must be with me for that yet he's happy for me to go to hospital alone? Very mixed signals. He still doesn't know that my eldest son is a accompanying me and I shan't tell him until I have to.
Make the bugger feel guilty longer!

Good luck, I had a bypass last week, didn't get any special bodywash to use :)

Thanks Butterfly. Maybe I look a bit grubby! Lol. It's all to do with MRSA I think. How are you getting on? X

Yes it could well be for the MRSA, I know I was tested for that the week before my op, I am doing really well thank you, had very little pain infact I had no pain killers at all post op :)

Ah, I can't believe he's still being such an ass! But yes, I wouldn't be telling him about your son either, you've got it sorted and he is going to be with you so stuff the DH!

Its coming around quick hun and those pre-op nerves are normal, but it sounds that you've done great so far :) good for you! Doesn't it make you want to be all the more successful when you have your DH that is being so unsupportive a kind of stick your fingers up at him LOL

Not sure if you are NHS or private but the body wash is for the prevention of MRSA :)

Wont be long now hun and we will be welcoming you to banded life :)

I didn't have to use the bodywash until the day of my op, but it was because they didn't have chance to do the normal MRSA swabs.
You're doing really well on the pre-op, not long to go now x

Yes it could well be for the MRSA, I know I was tested for that the week before my op, I am doing really well thank you, had very little pain infact I had no pain killers at all post op :)

Ok, so I am now modelling myself on you!!! Fingers crossed, I will follow your path pet! X

It is quite the norm to be tested etc. Through my provider I was neither tested for it, or given body wash LOL

Ah, I can't believe he's still being such an ass! But yes, I wouldn't be telling him about your son either, you've got it sorted and he is going to be with you so stuff the DH! Its coming around quick hun and those pre-op nerves are normal, but it sounds that you've done great so far :) good for you! Doesn't it make you want to be all the more successful when you have your DH that is being so unsupportive a kind of stick your fingers up at him LOL Not sure if you are NHS or private but the body wash is for the prevention of MRSA :) Wont be long now hun and we will be welcoming you to banded life :)

You're right as always - I am determined. And surprisingly focused. I've not missed favourite foods much at all really, though definitely the quantity. I have an odd wine pang, but at least I know it's not like I can't ever drink again, it's just moderation that's needed and I am confident I will be ok (ish!)

I am private, they did the swab test at the hospital Monday when I went for my pre-op check. I'm meant to wash my hair with it too but the nurse said my hair was lovely (a compliment! Yay!)! So not to do it, I suppose it's very astringent. My hair is bad enough if I don't condition it, like trying to comb out a poodle!!! X

I had to use a special body wash when I had my gall bladder removed but not this time althought I did have to swab at my pre op assessment.
I packed my bag diligently too, but tbh I didn't use any of it.... apart from my slippers. I wore their gown and dressing gown down to surgery and didn't change out of the hospital gown until I went home. I was too sleepy to read or to do anything really. And as they sat me up as soon as I came around from the op and had to stay sitting up until I left the hospital, plus I had those pressure boot things on plus drip, blood pressure cuff etc, I couldn't have got changed anyway..... So I unpacked my things when I arrived and packed them back up the following day when I left.... all a bit pointless really. But better to be prepared I guess!

Last edited:
I didn't have special body wash, I just used their shower gel and brought my own shampoo and conditioner (you didn't have to wash your hair but I wanted to).

I didn't use much of the stuff I brought with me, but I was glad of the dry mouth spray, and I did use my laptop.

I've bought two dry mouth sprays after hearing so much about it on here. I'm reading and re-reading everything I've been given by the Hospital and am more determined than ever to get this right. I don't want to compromise the band in any way. I know it'll be a tough few months and to be honest, I'm not even in a great hurry to lose the weight. I'm content to take it slowly.

My first goal is to lose two stone by March (Holiday booked) which is totally doable. I just feel happy in the knowledge that I'll have a safety net.

^ that's so great, I'm the same as you. I'm not going to starve myself, and I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet (even though I am - permanently!).

I'm sure you will do just fine.

It's a weird feeling, I'll tell you that. Especially feeling the port under your skin.

Seeing the results in long term banders like Flutterby really inspires me though.

That's a relief as I like to sleep on my right hand side, foetal position - I've got some big pillows ready in the guest room to prop myself up. I'm assuming I'll need to be upright for a bit. X

Oh i cant believe hes still being un-supportive. Hes probably thinking you will loose weight and someone will steal you off him! but like Top Kat says it will be great when he can see your success and you can stick 2 fingers up at him!!
I didnt get any strange wash buy yes I got swabbed.
Take Care xx

Thanks BB, it will be two humongous fingers too!!! The atmosphere is awful. You could cut it with a knife. I've had an awful tension headache for two days. I was hoping he'd bugger off to his boat until Monday but now he's not going until Monday (my birthday) which works for me as I won't be here when he gets back!

He hasn't asked me of my plans and I've not told him. He's a very difficult man. He makes himself miserable trying to find ways of punishing me for defying him. He has a spiteful, nasty streak that is born out of insecurity. I try to bear this in mind but it's difficult to be sympathetic when he makes it so uncomfortable for me.

^ sounds awful, I really wish he could support you, this is a difficult thing to do as it is. Such a big leap into the unknown and it's pretty nerve-wracking at times.

The Dolan Park staff are lovely though, and are so used to dealing with nervous people, they're great.

You're nicer than me, I'd have probably told him where to shove it by now, but of course it's not as easy as that, especially with children involved.

Fingers crossed he changes his attitude once you've had the op. At least you know why he behaves the way he does.

I went and had my op all on my own, not because I didn't have support but because it was such a long way to travel, it wasn't practical to bring anyone with me. I was quite happy to go it alone, it was only one day.

It really is over before you know it, and you're back home.

Hope your headache gets better soon xxx

Thank you so much. The crazy thing I've just put my boots away in the porch and there's a card and gift for me. I'm 90% sure it's a pair of expensive Bosse head phones. Crazy! I don't want gift, just a big if respect of my decision and a bit of support. X

Back