• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi there, now I'm scared...

Mike Calvert

Hi Everyone,
I'm Mike and I'm scared now. Only a week ago, had my consent meeting with my surgeon and was added to the waiting list, which was told was 2-3 months. Fast forward to yesterday and received a call asking me if I would be happy to have the surgery two weeks this Monday at Doncaster DRI.

Hell Yes!!

It's really happening now. WoW! Three years in the waiting, due to my doctors' surgery messing things up initially.

LSD starts Monday, and I feel like a bag of nerves.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling on for now. I'm going to be watching and learning, and hopefully making some new friends here.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Everyone,
I'm Mike and I'm scared now. Only a week ago, had my consent meeting with my surgeon and was added to the waiting list, which was told was 2-3 months. Fast forward to yesterday and received a call asking me if I would be happy to have the surgery two weeks this Monday at Doncaster DRI.

Hell Yes!!

It's really happening now. WoW! Three years in the waiting, due to my doctors' surgery messing things up initially.

LSD starts Monday, and I feel like a bag of nerves.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling on for now. I'm going to be watching and learning, and hopefully making some new friends here.

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, that is the same date as I am having my operation, but I am having mine at Derby. I know exactly what you mean about being scared/nervous but also excited about everything!

Just wanted to say hi! I'm scared too, my surgery is in three and a half weeks at King's. Like you I have had a very long wait (4 years) for various reasons. You'd think I'd be excited that the day is finally almost here, but all I want to do is run for the hills.

Speaking to people here definitely helps though, lots of good advice - and everyone understands exactly what it is like.

Hi TiaLi, I think over the last few weeks I've experienced every emotion I can think of, but I know that without surgery my quality of life will eventually get worse and if I don't make the most of this wonderful opportunity then I will never forgive myself! So deep breath and try and calm our nerves :)

Thanks @Mother K !

Hannah2 actually gave me some really good tips on how to handle fear and doubts prior to surgery, that I think might help. I'll paste in what she wrote below in case you or Mike would find it useful too:

"I made lists of why I wanted the surgery, all the things I hated about being the size I was, all the health concerns I had about the future and then a list of all the benefits I was hoping for. I printed out pictures I hated of myself and put them up in the kitchen so I reminded myself how much I wanted to change. "

Thanks @Mother K !

Hannah2 actually gave me some really good tips on how to handle fear and doubts prior to surgery, that I think might help. I'll paste in what she wrote below in case you or Mike would find it useful too:

"I made lists of why I wanted the surgery, all the things I hated about being the size I was, all the health concerns I had about the future and then a list of all the benefits I was hoping for. I printed out pictures I hated of myself and put them up in the kitchen so I reminded myself how much I wanted to change. "
Thank you, sounds like a great idea. :)

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!

Being scared and nervous is perfectly normal - I dreaded my lsd because I didn't think I would be able to do it and I dreaded failure - posting each day on here helped and the suport I got helped me through it. You CAN do it and you will do it - remember, it is to help make the surgery easier and safer so the better your liver is the better for you.

Stay focussed and you will soon be seeing and feeling the benefits!

@TiaLi glad you found my comments helpful

Hello, welcome and good luck :)

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!

Being scared and nervous is perfectly normal - I dreaded my lsd because I didn't think I would be able to do it and I dreaded failure - posting each day on here helped and the suport I got helped me through it. You CAN do it and you will do it - remember, it is to help make the surgery easier and safer so the better your liver is the better for you.

Stay focussed and you will soon be seeing and feeling the benefits!

@TiaLi glad you found my comments helpful

Hi Hannah,

How is your journey going? When did you have surgery? Xx

Hi @Carby2barbie i am doing ok thank you, few hiccups along the way, had to have exploratory laproscopy 4 weeks ago as I had upper abdominal pain - had adhesions/scar tissue, hopefully that is now reduced. My bypass op was 25th August. If you are using the site on a phone turn it landscape and you will see people's info on the left and signature if they have one. HTHs

Hi @Carby2barbie i am doing ok thank you, few hiccups along the way, had to have exploratory laproscopy 4 weeks ago as I had upper abdominal pain - had adhesions/scar tissue, hopefully that is now reduced. My bypass op was 25th August. If you are using the site on a phone turn it landscape and you will see people's info on the left and signature if they have one. HTHs

Awww bless you sorry to hear that! Oo wow thank you for the advice I see it now xxx

It really helps for people to fill in their details so that people can reply appropriately - what surgery, where, what stage they are at, NHS or private - it all changes how people can respond/ what advice they can give.

Back