• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A newbie - Getting a band soon!

CamperLou

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot of the threads over the last couple of days and am truly inspired by your stories and pictures. I have been thinking about a band for a few months and have finally made the decision to go ahead and see a consultant. (GP told me I am not ill enough to have it on NHS)

A bit about me - I am a mother of two who has spent the last 10 years devoted to my kids and full time work and basically ate like pig. I do have some problems in late night eating which has meant any diets fail unless I go to bed at 5pm! Am I being a bit unrealistic to expect the band to help me with this? Unless I sort out my food demons will the band be another failure?

I would love to hear from those of you which have had good and bad experiences on 'the band' and recommendations for consultants in the Dorset/Hampshire area. I am expecting to pay about 7K, does this seem about right? Not considering going abroad (can't get in a seat on a plane ;))

I will keep you posted on my journey!

XXX

:welcome2: to Minimims.

Don't know much about Bands, I'm waiting for Bypass. Sure someone will be around to help soon.

Just had a thought have you checked the critria for a band in your area? dr don't always get it right.

Welcome to minims not sure on band prices but I am sure there will be someone along in a minute who can help you
Have you researched the poole area??

Jay xx

Hi i had mine at Dolan Park in bromsgrove in midlands cost 7k that was 12 mouths after care plus 4 band fills.I found them very good had Mr super do op.Only had it done since april 15 09 lost 30 pound so far feel so much better everyone is different i am sure some longer banders can help you better than me.good luck with what you do .

Hi!

I'm being banded on the 20th June with 'WLS Group' It is costing me £6450 for band (private room) 2 years aftercare with unlimited refills/defills...aftercare soon to become 3 years. So far i cant fault their service, very personal and extremely happy with my decision.

With regards to your food demons, i think we all have some! I know i do! I'm currently on the pre-op liquid diet and it is really making me face my problems with food. I know that the band is not a magic 'skinny' wand, but it is a fabulous tool that can help me on my weightloss journey.

I have a friend that had the band fitted in Jan 09 and has already lost 6 stones! She described the band as helping with emotional eating, as she physically could not binge eat anymore. Instead she evaluated the situation and why she was upset.

Good luck with your journey!

Coralie :)

Hi CL,

I'm 18 days post banding...had mine with Hospital Group at Dolan Park with Mr Siggurdson...cost £7000...should have had private room but ended up sharing, and also ended up sharing the car they sent for me doing a 4.5 hour trip one way...as yet I've had no courtesy call from them even to enquire as to how I'm doing since the op! :mad: I have to say, the hospital staff were fabulous though.

I'm really pleased that I had the banding done though, and although still on the sloppies, it really does restrict what you can take in...amazing :eek:

Hi Camperlou

There are some fantastic long term banders here and they will advise you, I'm sure!

I know someone who works for the same company as I do...She had a band and I can tell you she was very successful...I don't see her very often but when I did I was shocked...she looks great.

Good luck on your journey.

~hugs~

Your replies to my post have been great and I'm now awaiting for my consultant date with BMI healthcare. Now that I have made the decision to have this done I just want it done now!!!! I need to get a grip and chill out :p

I looked at the hospital group as well but didn't fancy a road trip to the midlands from 'down south' and read a few posts which didn't speak to highly of them in terms of aftercare? Plus when i rang it was a bit like calling for a car insurance quote!

Anyone used BMI healthcare? I will be using the winchester hospital.

Anyway, hopefully get an appointment next week otherwise I am going to be a nightmare to live with.

Thanks again x

Hi

Having my band fitted was the best thing Ive done (after giving birth that is!) Im sure you will get an appointment soon, good luck and before you know it you will be on the loosing side x

hi im a nhs bander, i just wanted to say good luck on your wls journey x

Thanks very much for all your support. I have just been reading the thread on Band or Bypass and as I am paying for this myself I really want to get this right! I just went for the band as it seemed to have the least risk - op wise. However my eating habits might not be right for the band. Binge eating all kinds of food (not a fan of fizzy drinks etc..) whatever is in the house really so I wonder if consultant will recommend bypass? I soppose will leave it in their hands to advise me what is best but at an extra 4K its a big decision.

Hi, I am also quite new here, I had my band fitted in Belguim, 8th May, Hossi was brilliant, cant fault the doc, everything was fantastic, I am so pleased that with everything, I have contact no, email address ect for the doc and his assistant, I have not needed to used these, I went yesterday to have my 1st fill, which cost £90, I have no restriction, he did say it would take about 3 or more to get a good restriction. I am realy pleased, I have lost 1 stone in 5 weeks since having op, and another stone doing the low fat diet, all together 2 stone in 7 weeks, I am realy pleased. The cost of the op was £4000. Well worth every penny. I hope that you find a good doc and achive your dream, soz about the spellings, by the ways I was and still am very heavy, and we flue there lol. x

Appointment with consultant Wed mr ammouri

I booked an appointment with a consultant for Wed, and gone though Mr Ammouri as I've read so much great stuff about him on here. Got a feeling I need bypass rather than a band but if they recommend the band then it will be Mr Super, what a fab name for a surgeon! Lots to ask but I've just read the thread from hell which made me really scared about the bypass. Any good words of enouragement regards mr ammouri?

Back