• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Proposal - For Shel and Phatgirl

wobbles

I've just been going through some of the posts from lately and see that a lot of people are stuck with plateau's, finding it hard to get their protein, struggling with carbs, and personally, i don't understand a lot of it, and can't seem to understand the labels on food.

I'm an intelligent woman, but i seem to need it all spelled out for me. I know that probably sounds lazy, but i genuinely struggle with it, kind of like Maths, am ***** with numbers.

So my idea is this:

Nic and Shel in my opinion, seem to be the biggest advocators and the most informed and educated on the whole high protein, low carbs etc eating plan for optimal weight loss. You girls seem to struggle a lot less with it as the rest of us, and i'm very sorry if i'm leaving anyone out, but you two i see as outstanding and I WANT YOUR WISDOM!!

So i know both of you actually have lives outside of this forum, but i'm wondering how you and everyone else would feel about this.

Shel and Nic get together, whether it be online, in person whatever suits you, to put together an eating plan book, come recipe book, come educational resource. Filled with meal ideas for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as snacks. Advising on what types of foods to avoid, what to fill up on, what to have in moderation. Include food brands.

Basically, a dummy's guide to eating well after a gastric bypass.

There, you have a title.

What do you think?

And then maybe, we'll see what everyone else thinks of this, if you girls put it together, we'll buy a copy of it off you? That way you get paid for your efforts as well.

:) what a brilliant idea !

Also, don't forget Silversurfer who also walks the pro-protein excellent advice & support path! At 10 stone down and minus 20 inches off the waistline, he must be doing something right! lol!

Pretty inspirational for our male Minis I'd say!

Maybe we should pick out some names of people who WE think should write it, and then those people can decide amongst themselves who is willing to take on the challenge.

I vote for:

Shel
Nic
Rich

I've just read the pouch rules again and it's been helpful. It should be included in the book. Information on what to do when you hit a plateau, why it occurs etc i think would be really helpful in the book. A guide for every bypass patient, THE BYPASSER'S BIBLE.

I think it's a fantastic idea, and something I would pay for... especially as its clearly worked and its not just some faceless company selling another diet book which you have no idea even works...

.x.

im not clever enuff brett
don't put yourself down you are good with advice too just like nic and shel. I think it's a great idea it's about time we had something English and not have to adapt American books on this subject - go for it!

I've looked for a book like i've described and none exist. The only things i have found is some books from the states that have food in them i've never even heard of, and they tend to be by chefs who don't actually seem to understand the bypass stuff.

You could have the book published and make millions, and you could give me a sort of spotters fee for coming up with the idea. A million will do ;)

while I agree there is a need for a British book on this, it would need to be written either by or in conjunction with a trained nutritionalist, which none of us are. Our way of eating is just developed through research and trial & error, which anyone can do given the time. alot of it is stolen from other people, and other websites etc, and there are people out there in a far better position than me to write a book.

I'm not an expert, I don't eat perfectly, I make mistakes, and I'm currently failing to maintain my weight lol, so I don't think I'm the right person for this at all.

Nic however....

Have none of you being given such things from you dietician? When I left hospital today I was given all sorts including a book with a diet plan meals and recipes ranging from the liquid diet to eating normally. It tells me how much of protein carbs etc I should be having and what foods are best to get this from.

I think that this is something that should be provided to all patients who go through WLS.

Could someone get in touch with their bariatric dietian's and ask them for some advice i.e. if we write the appropriate recipes etc would they look it over and amend any areas that are not nutritionally sound?

Sorry, but I have to agree with Shel. I am not trained in anyway, steal tips from other people/sites and I am absolutely not far enough out yet to give real 'sage' advice. It is very flattering to consider but I just don't think it would be appropriate for publication. Maybe down the road with the input of a psychologist, nutritionalist & surgical consultant miniminers like Shel, Richard, Hopelesscase, Tammy, Caroline or myself (trying to think of some people who are further out & have been very successful) could consult on a British bypass book. And Liz, you are clever enough and could do it, you making the 2nd band work would make for a great read!

I am however absolutely up for helping anyone who is struggling with menu ideas and passing on tips I have tried myself and know work.

Nic:D

Sue many of us have had lots of info from our providers, whether NHS or private. Unfortunately not everyone takes much notice of it ;)

Well that is my point then. Most people are getting this info so I was wondering why people were then asking for further info in a book.

Also, not all dietician are created equal. I have heard people say their dieticians discourage protein drinks, one person said that their dietician said eating once per day was fine, I remeber reading that one dietician encouraged 5 servings of carbs per day. You get the point, some people have been given what I would call uninformed advice for bypassers from people they trust to look out for their health. It is both scary and sad. I just wish that you could expect a continuity of care not random luck that you get someone well informed about bypass nutrition.

Nic

Well that is my point then. Most people are getting this info so I was wondering why people were then asking for further info in a book.

I think you have to remember just because you got the info typed on a sheet does not mean you know how to apply those instructions. The dietician's job should be more than handing you a paper, they should be tasked with helping you apply those 'rules' to your real life. That is the tricky bit, I reckon. Plus, real experience always wins over book knowledge in offering support & suggestions.

Nic

Must admit I don't think that much of my dietician. She's been next to useless with pregnancy nutrition advice and if I had followed her advice I'd of lost even more than I had. Her suggestion was to add one milky drink to my standard daily intake to maintain my weight! I've had to add a significant number of calories and increase my fat intake and am still losing weight. You easily lose respect for the professionals when they are giving you flawed advice, which makes it feel like a lonely journey.

Hi

I have just ordered a book that was recommended to me entitled eating well after weight loss surgery - here is the blurb from amazon:

Product Description
In April 2003 Patt Levine underwent "Lap-Band" gastric surgery, one of the primary bariatric surgeries being widely practiced today. As a lifelong foodie, she was expecting the worst when her surgeon's nutritionist handed her dietary guidelines to follow post-surgery, and she was right. With her decades of cooking skills, she immediately set out to devise low-fat dishes that would be just as delicious pureed and chopped as they would be served whole. As an added problem, she wanted to cook for her husband at the same time. This first-ever cookbook for the hundreds of thousands who are lining up for bariatric bypass surgery is proof that it can be done. With collaborator Michele Bontempo-Saray, the author has created 125 recipes that contain no added sugar, are very low in fat, and get their carbohydrates almost exclusively from fruits and vegetables. Each recipe includes specific guidelines for preparation of the dish for every stage of the eating programs for Lap-Band, gastric bypass, and Biliopancreatric Diversion Duodenal Switch (BPD-DS) patients, as well as suggestions for sharing meals with those who have not gone through gastric surgery. Creative recipes cover every meal and foodbreakfast and brunch, soups, vegetables, main courses, and sweet indulgences.

As is states above it covers all stages post op, cant wait to get it and to start cooking.

Maz x

Back