• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question for the big losers?

Fantastic thread. Its as if Julie & Grace were reading my mind.

My weight loss has been terrible. I lost 5lb over Xmas & was ecstatic as I'd not lost a lb in weeks. However, I weight myself yesterday & have put on 3lb. Which makes my weight loss 2lb in over 6 weeks. I'm gutted.

I must be the one that a bypass doesn't work for. Very, very down at the moment.

But I'm determined this bypass will work for me so I'll be reading this thread with great interest.

Fantastic thread. Its as if Julie & Grace were reading my mind.

My weight loss has been terrible. I lost 5lb over Xmas & was ecstatic as I'd not lost a lb in weeks. However, I weight myself yesterday & have put on 3lb. Which makes my weight loss 2lb in over 6 weeks. I'm gutted.

I must be the one that a bypass doesn't work for. Very, very down at the moment.

But I'm determined this bypass will work for me so I'll be reading this thread with great interest.

J-Mo, you didn't have your surgery till Oct? You've lost 55lb? Sorry i just don't get which bit of it not working you're talking about... I think, like me, you are just in a stage and need to turn things around food wise.... I'm currently trying not to have bread (probably cos we only had white in this week and i couldn't be bothered to fetch w/meal - which i did today) and am having more salads... Shake it up and it will work off xxx

Grace i'm loving everything you say so don't worry, be happy :)

Thank you all for your insight. Apart from anything else i'm hopeful this thread will show those thinking of surgery that 'hell yeah we can still enjoy food, and that we may not lose it overnight but it is going slow/steady'.

Thanks guys you rock xxx

I don't know if I am a big loser or not. I lost 5 stones in 5 months, BUT

Please please please don't compare yourself to others! I think the speed with what we loose weight depends on a person and on the starting weight! No way somevody who had a BMI of 40 at the start of this journey will lose after 4 stones as much per week who had a BMI of 55.

As long as you are loosing - you are doing great! And you will have less problems with the loose skin.

Talking about myself - I can tolerate most foods fine. Portions got bigger lately (well, if I want to) and I really HAVE TO CONTROL my hunger and appetite now. As well as what I put in my mouth. I have lost first 4 stone VERY easily, now I have to fight for every pound! If I don't watch what I eat and have more then 1000 - 1200 ckal a day I put on weight. If i eat carbs - I don't loose.

Thanks so very much to everyone who's answered this post.
J-Mo you are doing fab and the bypass is working! You've lost almost 4 stones haven't you? Since October? and i've lost only 3 pounds more...since August!
I'm sorry about your weight gain though and I can understand you must be feeling gutted about that. When I read the scales slip wrong the other week and thought I'd gained I was just devastated.

I'm sure it's just a blip though and it'll come off again this week. Sending big hugs your way.

For me I suspect that a lack of exercise may be part of my problem. I'm hoping to get swimming next week as my cold is on the way out, so hopefully that will help a lot. :D

Please, don't anyone get me wrong - i love my bypass and I love that I've lost over 5 stones since July. I feel so much better and more attracrtive too and I KNOW I will get to where i want to be eventually.

I guess though, that I expected the stone a month loss when I read about bypasses and that just hasn't happened for me; whereas it does happen for lots of folks.
I'm totally happy for them....just wish it was me as well!
But like i say, I'll get there!:D
Grace xxx

I suppose I am a big loser - I lost 10 st in the first year and 3 1/2 in the next year - very little of that in the last 3 months.

I think it depends on your particular skin if you have a lot of loose skin.

I had a big abdominal overhang pre-op - and I have a big overhang now.

My thighs and calves are very wrinkly and my boobs are empty sacs - rolled and folded every day in my bra!!

I put on as much as I've lost probably since 1983 when I injured my back - and I've had 2 daughters in my 30's - and had loads of stretch marks before during and after.

Different op I know - and I do try to get the 100gms protein in a day - but for instance I can't eat a whole chicken breast or a whole fish fillet - I eat little carbs and veg with my meals - but try to have a little fruit late evening and a glass of tomato juice of an evening to try to get some fruit/veg in.

I think how much loose skin one has depends on
personal skin type
rate at which the weight went on
amount lost v original body weight
whether one has had children - so the fellas are OK!!!

I've heard that - if the rules are followed - it is very hard for WLS not to work - especially a DS - though of course there are always going to be some exceptions to every rule!!

And most people will have some regain - as whatever stomach op one has the bit left is bound to stretch to some extent - and in some people the maladsorption aspect seems to alter. I also suppose this is where the cross-addictions will have an effect - alcohol, for instance, is very high in calories.

Off me soap box now - very interesting thread though

And please please remember everyone there is no correct amount of weight lost each week - my dietician told us that anything over 2 lbs a week is longer fat being lost but muscle bulk - and to try to stay within 2 lbs/week and to remember that every week over a year that comes to about 7 st!!

Love and huggles all round

xxxx

Last edited:
I am still amazed at the protein levels you guys manage to get in. I follow all the rules and still can't get near it.

I guess I'm a big loser, nearly 10 stone in 9 months, and maintained for just under 2 years.

I can eat anything, although I have a greater restriction with meat and fish. I do dump, but have long since learned my limits and it's a rare event these days. I thInk my loose skin would be the same at any speed. Occasionally I'll look at hubbys meal and think oooh I wish I could eat all that, but realistically I know if I could I would be huge.

As to the how I did it, I concentrated on protein, ate 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day, right from the beginning. I didn't drink with meals, and stayed within the limits I was given of 5g per 100g both fat and sugar. By eating little and often you keep your metabolism raised and also keep your blood sugar stable.

Before the surgery, I spent time learning to listen to my stomach and understand fullness. I also addressed my bad eating habits and my food triggers, which was mostly boredom, and worked to beat them before the op. That has always been the best peice of advice I can give, address your demons early on and get in tune with your body.

With hindsight, I can see that my chronic malabsorption issues will have contributed to my fast weight loss, as I never had a stall or a gain.

After answering a question about expected weight loss and seeing some people say a stone a month lost etc i have a few questions for the big losers out there...

Seriously now and please answer honestly:

1. How is your eating now? As in do you tolerate food well? Can you eat most things?

2. Are you ever dissatisfied with 'what' you are able to tolerate or not tolerate?

3. Do you think your loose skin would be as bad if you'd lost it slower?

Probably too soon for me to consider myself a BIG LOSER, as I'm just approaching 3 months post op, but I have had consistently good losses every week having lost just short of 6 stones in total - almost 4 of which were post op.

To give some context, previously when I have done SW or WW or other fad diets, I have always had good weekly loses, the prob was always keeping it off. I recall going to classes with friends and generally I tended to have greater weekly loses (compartitively), so I appreciate that I can lose weight, maintainance has always been the prob as it has always gone back on as quick as it came off. Time will tell this time, but WLS certainly gives a better tool for managing maintainence with, in theory.

In terms of how I eat now, I think I mostly eat very well, I seem to have good tolerance for food and can eat most things easily, just experienced mild nausea at times if I push it, which I try not to do.

My body tends to dictate what I fancy eating, I crave protiens in the form of fish or lean white meat, cheese and always have vegetables. I've also developed a healthy appetite for fruit, pinapples, melons, oranges, just lovely and great to snack on.

I've gone off carbs strangely enough, rice, pasta, potatoes, although I do force myself occassionally it just leaves me feeling bloated, sluggish and heavy, so I tend to avoid.

I dont measure or weigh my portions, I just take a small amount annd sometimes I suffer from "etes bigger than belly syndrom" old habits die hard, but the beauty is I just cant eat it, when I've had enough I scrape my plate, because if I left it before me I would wait for that feeling to pass then start picking again when the discomfort passed.

Im satisfied with my level of tolerance, because it means I can still enjoy what I fancy, however what I fancy is the good stuff right now. It's liberating. For me, I dont want to get caught up in weighing and measuring portions, I just want to learn how to not over indulge and to eat only what I need after all there is no famine.

Time will tell on the loose skin front, but so far it's not bad at all. Tummy a little loose but it was loose before after the kids, I'm 43 and not looking for iron board abs. I can see a little bat wing thing going on there though and think that might be a problem, but one I'll happily live with. The Boobs are not what they were or where they were, I MISS THEM! But I figure when I get to goal, if it troubles my spirit, I shall just have to buy me a pair!

Generally my skin is not loose or wrinkly though, good old coco butter and olive oil methinks.

sorry for the long reply and great thread.

Julie has you no I had real problems at the beginning but after having my stretch I was able to eat anything but I choose to eat healthy foods although I do eat junk food occasionally. I drink alot of wine now as I was never a wine drinker before my op.

I have lost the weight quicker than I could of ever dreamed of and am very happy with the way I now live my life and with the foods I eat, hubby is always telling me I don't eat enough but I never really feel real hunger anymore.

Seriously now and please answer honestly:

1. How is your eating now? As in do you tolerate food well? Can you eat most things? l
I can eat anything I want from healthy foods to full on fatty junk foods

2. Are you ever dissatisfied with 'what' you are able to tolerate or not tolerate?
No not disappointed at all

Certainly would and I hate it, in fact its worse that I ever thought it would be

I'm 19 months post-op and have lost 11 stone 5lbs. I was 22 stone 3lbs and now weigh 10 stone 12 lbs. I can tolerate and do eat all foods but dont enjoy bread anymore which can only be a good thing! My portion sizes to me are just under what a normal person would eat but this does depend on the meal im eating for example if i was eating fish n chips i would eat around 10 chips and half the fish and would be very full but most importantley i'd be satisfied(i dont eat this food alot just when i do). The fact that i can eat most foods has helped me greatly as i never feel deprived and for me this has been the main key to me being so successfull with my weightloss.

My loose skin isnt too bad, my boobs have never been that great anyway! My inner thighs are abit wrinkly as is my tummy but nothing to horrifying and a small price to pay! I havent excercised at all but am now going to start on my cross trainer as i do think ive now reached the stage where i need to start to tone up abit just in time for the summer!

Good luck everyone with their journeys but remember we are all different and will all get different results at different times. It doesnt matter how long it takes or how we look when we get there........ just as long as we get there!!!!!!!!!

1. How is your eating now? As in do you tolerate food well? Can you eat most things?
I can and I do eat and drink anything and everything
Would like to be able to eat less.
Considering I am 62, been overweight for at least 30 years, and had four children I am extremely proud of my figure. Although Varicous vein which were once hidden by the flab are a lot more prominent. However, like Mel I am very very active (muck out 7 horses a day) so think that really helps.

I think I have now stopped losing (cant tell as the battery has gone in my scales), which I am fine with, but am a bit worried that I can eat too much and am thinking of doing a diary or the pouch test.

I know you are a slow loser Julie but you hardly every moan and winge about it, you deserve a medal for your sheer determination. xxxxxxx

I agree Mary, our Julie deserves an award for being the least moany slow looser :D Id be constantly moaning and whingeing if it was me! :D XX

Julie you know where I am in the scheme of things

1. How is your eating now? As in do you tolerate food well? Can you eat most things? I can tolerate most things but some times only manage one bite of somethings before I'm "full"

2. Are you ever dissatisfied with 'what' you are able to tolerate or not tolerate? No so much dissatisfied with what I can tolerate. More dissapointed with how much I can/can't eat (and when I say that I mean I would like to eat more than 2 teaspoons at mealtimes somedays) at over 8 months out I feel I should be having more to eat and will take it up with the team when I go at the end of the month

3. Do you think your loose skin would be as bad if you'd lost it slower? I have had an overhang when i was overweight and don't think losing slower would have made a difference (off to disscuse plastics with my GP later in the week)

J-Mo, you didn't have your surgery till Oct? You've lost 55lb? Sorry i just don't get which bit of it not working you're talking about... I think, like me, you are just in a stage and need to turn things around food wise.... I'm currently trying not to have bread (probably cos we only had white in this week and i couldn't be bothered to fetch w/meal - which i did today) and am having more salads... Shake it up and it will work off xxx

Grace i'm loving everything you say so don't worry, be happy :)

Thank you all for your insight. Apart from anything else i'm hopeful this thread will show those thinking of surgery that 'hell yeah we can still enjoy food, and that we may not lose it overnight but it is going slow/steady'.

Thanks guys you rock xxx

The bit that's not working for me Julie is that I've not lost any weight for 5 to 6 weeks. Yeah, I've lost 55lb which includes weight I lost on my pre-op, which I'm not complaining about.

What I am concerned about is the length of time I've not lost weight for. I'm eating my protein, don't eat pasta, bread etc & increased my exercise. But not lost an inch or a lb. I'm 14 weeks post of & not lost anything for 6wks, to me that's a concern & I can't help but feel very upset about it.

But this is why I rarely post on the forum now 'cos I always feel guilty. If I lost even .5lb a week it would be something but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong which is why I'm not losing.

Sorry if I've offended anyone & I shall keep quiet from now on.

The bit that's not working for me Julie is that I've not lost any weight for 5 to 6 weeks. Yeah, I've lost 55lb which includes weight I lost on my pre-op, which I'm not complaining about.

What I am concerned about is the length of time I've not lost weight for. I'm eating my protein, don't eat pasta, bread etc & increased my exercise. But not lost an inch or a lb. I'm 14 weeks post of & not lost anything for 6wks, to me that's a concern & I can't help but feel very upset about it.

But this is why I rarely post on the forum now 'cos I always feel guilty. If I lost even .5lb a week it would be something but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong which is why I'm not losing.

Awwww honey of course you haven't offended anyone. Come on now, big hugs and kiss and make up. I miss you around here.

I'd be as gutted as you are if i hadn't lost any weight for that long too. You're obviously in a long stall. Easy for me to say I know, as I haven't really had one yet. I feel for you, I do really.
Are you drinking plenty? That's the only other thing I can suggest - apart from maybe you're not eating enough?
Big hugs and keep coming on here please.
Grace xxx

JMo, don't ever think you've offended anyone. You have as much right to a voice as everyone! 5 or 6 weeks of nothing would scare the crud out of me too so i'm with you now.... (sorry i wasn't before i hadn't realised you'd stalled for that long). I've had 3 weeks of nothing before losing a 1lb and being eternally thankful....

Are you eating enough? More importantly are you drinking enough too? I say this because i remember saying how many hours work you were doing before xmas and i wondered if you were still doing the work of 6 illegal immigrants? Are you giving yourself time to do all you need too...

Please oh please never refrain from posting, just please give us ALL the info so we can offer proper support...

Wendy and Dotty i do moan but not often, and this is because i'm still losing, albeit slowly and i do enjoy food :)

Good luck JMo i KNOW the scales are going to move for you again, just stick with it!

How is your eating now? As in do you tolerate food well? Can you eat most things?
17 months post op and 9.5 stone down I can eat virtually anything I want or fancy to be honest. I have never seriously dumped and I have never had a problem with any type of food (not necessarily a good thing)
In a word "no" but then again i'm lucky in many ways

Again Lucky there too my loose skin isn't too bad and it only bothers me now and again when i'm naked! Thank goodness i'm married lol. I think i have reached the possible end of losing (happy where I am) but i'm not the best at exercising so maybe I could lose the last 8 to 10lbs x

I know I haven't been posting much lately either, as am stuck in a rut also, and not losing, haven't lost anything now for a few weeks. I keep nibbling at carbs, can't seem to stop. Need to give myself a good telling off and try and eat healthily. Unfortunately the situation at home isn't any better, OH still here and showing no signs of moving out. I can't afford to buy 'good food', so am living on japanese rice crackers, peanuts (left over from christmas) and the occasional water biscuit with cheese spread.
I shall promise to post more though, I am on here every day keeping up with everyone else though, can't stay away xxxxxx

Reactions: Bev
(((hugz))) @ JMO,

stick with it hun, that must be really discouraging. Do you keep a food diary and are you drinking plenty of water? I find water to be wonderful for promoting the loss and flushing the system out.

I for one, want you to keep posting and am not in the least offended, if I was not losing/ stalling, I really hope that |I would find this forum a source of support and not feel compelled to worry/ suffer in silence.

Sometimes the body can resist the stongest effort to shift the weight but eventually it will have to fall in line and respond to your greatly reduced intake.

Up the fluids hun, and keep your chin up it will continue to fall off.

Back