• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A week on....

scottyav

Hi im scott and have had a gastric bypass op last sunday and came out thursday at the manor walsall. Was wondering how long stomach pain lasts in general and should i be worried by a numbness on left thigh top and the odd stabbing pain or is it possibly a trapped nerve from a back prob a few years ago , thanks and hi :D

hi Scott welcome to Mini's. I cant help with the pain stuff or numbness but there will be someone on here that can help. This forum is a mine of information.

GL on your losing streak :D

Hi and congratulations! I would guess that the majority of your aches and pains are due to trapped wind which you are pumped full of during surgery. My remedy is peppermint tea - works a treat. I dispensed with pain killers 5 days post surgery - mostly due to the fact that the liquid paracetamol was making me heave!

Hiya, not sure about the numbness, but im nearly 3 week post op and still get the odd stabbing pain whilst standing up/sitting down. I stopped the pain killers 8 days post op :)

Hi im scott and have had a gastric bypass op last sunday and came out thursday at the manor walsall. Was wondering how long stomach pain lasts in general and should i be worried by a numbness on left thigh top and the odd stabbing pain or is it possibly a trapped nerve from a back prob a few years ago , thanks and hi :D

Hi Scott and welcome to Minis and the losing side :):)

Did you have your bypass done open or laparoscopically? If the latter like I did, it will be wind as they pump us full of gas. If you had it done open, I don't know as I didnt but sharp pains and tummy soreness are common. Just keep an eye on your wounds and make sure they are not over red and angry or oozing nasty stuff. Have they given you some paracetamol in liquid form? I found that I couldn't take it at first so my hubby went and got me some Tesco's own over 6 paracetamol, its only about £2 or less and you have to have 4 times 5ml spoonfulls. This should help with the pains.

If you are at all worried, ring the GP and go and have things checked out or ring Walsall but pain does last a couple of weeks. Hope this helps you a bit. Im off to Walsall for a check up in a bit so will catch up with you later.

:):):):)

Hi Scott...just wanted to say :welcome: to Minis.

there'll be bypassers along soon to help with tips on the pain.

hope it gets better for you soon xx

Hi Scott!

Well it's going to be 2 weeks tomorrow since I had my sleeve gastrectomy and I have just been out to Meadowhall with my dad to pick a model car up to make as I am getting bored!

The pains in your stomach is obviously down to personal pain thresholds and healing process but after just 9 days, I didn't have to take any pain killers!

I had a very very sore and numb left buttcheek! I've been told it was because that during the operation, you are vertical strapped to the table as that's a good position to be in for them to operate. I believe that your weight, like mine, will have been resting on this area for some time causing the numbness. Like I said, 2 week tomorrow, and I still faintly have my pain/numbness still! That actually hurt more than my stomach!

Good to see you around :D

Hi scotty and welcome to minis I am also a fellow bypasser at walsall and am nearly 8 weeks post op. The stomach pains are normal and I still get the odd twinge now and again if I try and doing something different. As for the numbness in your thigh that doesn't sound good is its no better in the morning give Ana the bariatric nurse a quick call and she will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Did you have Miss Hietmann or Mr Khan perform your op?

Welcome to Minis. Hopefully you'll find everyone here lovely and helpful.......I certainly have!!! Good luck!!!

Hi Scott

Welcome to Mini's.

Hope you are feeling a bit better soon...However, I do think numbness should be looked at.

Good luck
(((HUGS)))

Dr Khan did the operation, my gp thinks its just op numbness as its a little better today , still may call nurse, soluable co codomol works a treat though that he gave me

Dr Khan did the operation, my gp thinks its just op numbness as its a little better today , still may call nurse, soluable co codomol works a treat though that he gave me

Hello Scott.

Firstly let me say congratulations on being on the losing side, well done.

Some of your pain could be wind. I'm guessing if you had Mr Khan that you had an open wound, but during my stay in Walsall I saw many open patients suffer from wind. Poor Leela had a huge bottle of peppermint at the ready..lol, so its not just the lap patients that suffer wind.

We all have different pain levels and improve at different rates but some people (myself included) still have pain for several weeks afterwards.

When you are strapped to the bed you are laid out in a cross (this amused me both times I had surgery because I wondered if they were laying me out to save time later..:D) But they also strap your legs down hard and there is a chance that they may have been a little heavy handed. One of the women opposite me had a nasty bruise on the side of her foot and right up her leg when she can back from surgery and I had a huge black bruise on my right thigh after my second op so it happens.

I just also wanted to say ask your own doctor for some childrens liquid paracetomol and double the dose as opposed to taking the soluble paracetomol/co-codamol from the hospital. Its much nicer to take and easier as sometimes the fizzy soluble stuff doesn't go down well.

Good luck with the weight loss.

Bonita
xx

Back