• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon ADVICE - Gastric balloon waitlist and hypothyroid

newcy

Hi, just been ref by GP for gastric balloon and wondering how long process takes to get surgery. I know I have to attend a seminar first but then what? Do I have to diet before surgery as been doing that for 2 years since diagnosed as hypothyroid but no success. I'd love to hear anyone elses experiences as desperate to get started ASAP.... :wave_cry:

:welcome2:

Depends on your PCT & surgeon etc. I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

Welcome to the forum

have a look on the www.bospa.org website at the pct's it should tell you on there what y our pct requires! hope everything goes well for you x, update your stats in the user cp tab so we can see where you from and that!
people will be able to advise you more if they can see your stats!
welcome to WLS! your deffo in the best place for help and advice!

Welcome to the forum Newcy :D - I'm not sure what the process is with the balloon though it'll probably depend on which hospital youre using and which PCT it comes under for funding. Which hospital will you be under? There's bound to be someone on the forum going there too and they could advise better.

I'm at Sunderland waiting for a bypass and am expecting to wait between 14-18 months.

In general at Sunderland you have a group seminar; then a meeting with the nurse/dietician and are set a weight loss target; then you meet the surgeon and if you've met the target you go on the waiting list (approx 16-26 weeks). You need to keep your weight off during this period, which I think is the hardest part!!! Two-four weeks before the operation date you have to do a pre-op diet (milk based, or low cal if you've diabetes, etc) to shrink your liver and make the surgery easier for the surgeon.

Some of this may not apply to the balloon as I don't think the balloon has surgery involved with it.

There's also a difference in PCT areas in terms of criteria for funding and each area has different processes for applying for funding, some grant it automatically, some make you go through hoops...

On a positive note, if there's not so many people waiting for the balloon you could be seen to much quicker!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!

Thanks for the welcome. BOSPA website useful, thanks. I've been ref to Sunderland so info really helpful, thanks. OMG! That seems like such a long wait - I hope the timescales for a balloon are less. Maybe I'll get lucky and be the only person waiting for one as everyone else appears to be waiting for bypass or band?

Is there anyone else waiting for a balloon at sunderland?

Last edited:
I don't really want to comment too much in case I scare you. But I was referred for a gastric balloon. Waiting list is a lot shorter but is rarely offered as its just a temporary measure. As you can tell from my post I didn't have a very nice experience.

Sorry :sigh:

I remember reading a while ago somebody else having a balloon inserted but not sure how she is getting on now. I think that woman from shamless had one inserted aswell so its not unheard of i dont think.
If youve done your research im sure your aware that its a fairly unpleasant proceedure but then again no weightloss surgery is glamourous and painfree.
Good luck with your journey hun and welcome to the forum. xxxxx

Hi and welcome. Im on the list for a bypass and dont know what the balloon consists off. Someone will be able to help you out though. Welcome the the forum and Good Luck x

Thanks Emma Louise - I have to admit it does sound pretty unpleasant but I really don't like the idea of surgery. To be honest J-Mo I'd rather know what its really like rather than just hear what a surgeon thinks its like - please tell me more - I might have to re-think if its that bad...

Well....

If you read some of my older posts/threads you will see that I had a bad time. Not only by the doctor who attempted to carry out the procedure but also some of the nurses.

I was offered the balloon as they thought it may better suits my eating habits buts its generally only given to those considered too large or unsuitable for going under anaesthetic.

The procedure (as you will know) involves a camera going down your throat & they do this to check for any abnormalities. As long as everything is okay they will put a second tube down which has the balloon in, they then inflate the balloon in your tummy with a dye. The reason for the dye is in case the balloon leaks you'll be able to tell when you have a wee.

The balloon is in for 6 months then you have to go back & do the procedure in reverse so they can remove it. The doctor who attempted to do mine was the rudest, most arrogant man I have ever had the misfortune to meet. He made an unpleasant experience much worse. But I'm a big believer in Karma ;)

It wasnt Mr Small, Mr Balpuri or Mr Schroeder, or any of their team, but I daren't name him in case I get into trouble off the mods.

I have a real fear of gagging, being sick etc. so I was terrified anyway. However some people have no problems with endoscopy's & if that you then you'll be fine. You will need an endoscopy even if you end up having the bypass anyway, which I had in May. It wasn't as unpleasant as the one last September but it was the doctor who carried out the procedure who made the difference.

Hop this helps & I don't mean to scare you at all. My experience was well documented on here at the time.

Take care :)

hey jmo glad to see the surgeons mentioned didnt do it sounds horrific x

i used to use a forum that was mainly for the balloon op, but i don't know if I'm allowed to put it up on here " if your interested you can PM me".

i used to use a forum that was mainly for the balloon op, but i don't know if I'm allowed to put it up on here " if your interested you can PM me".

Thanks I'd like that - except that apparently I can't PM people until I've posted a certain number. Are you able to PM me?

WOW! J-Mo you really did have quite a mare! You've got me thinking now... I really hate the thought of full surgery but that sounds pretty awful and I do have a bit of an issue with gagging too. I guess I'll just keep an open mind for the seminar and see how I feel after getting all the facts. I really appreciate your honesty and frankness Hun x

Last edited:
Thanks I'd like that - except that apparently I can't PM people until I've posted a certain number. Are you able to PM me?

WOW! J-Mo you really did have quite a mare! You've got me thinking now... I really hate the thought of full surgery but that sounds pretty awful and I do have a bit of an issue with gagging too. I guess I'll just keep an open mind for the seminar and see how I feel after getting all the facts. I really appreciate your honesty and frankness Hun x

As long as I haven't distressed you. I am so bad with gagging that sometimes I do it just cleaning my teeth!! Ha, ha

Well....

If you read some of my older posts/threads you will see that I had a bad time. Not only by the doctor who attempted to carry out the procedure but also some of the nurses.

I was offered the balloon as they thought it may better suits my eating habits buts its generally only given to those considered too large or unsuitable for going under anaesthetic.

The procedure (as you will know) involves a camera going down your throat & they do this to check for any abnormalities. As long as everything is okay they will put a second tube down which has the balloon in, they then inflate the balloon in your tummy with a dye. The reason for the dye is in case the balloon leaks you'll be able to tell when you have a wee.

The balloon is in for 6 months then you have to go back & do the procedure in reverse so they can remove it. The doctor who attempted to do mine was the rudest, most arrogant man I have ever had the misfortune to meet. He made an unpleasant experience much worse. But I'm a big believer in Karma ;)

It wasnt Mr Small, Mr Balpuri or Mr Schroeder, or any of their team, but I daren't name him in case I get into trouble off the mods.

I have a real fear of gagging, being sick etc. so I was terrified anyway. However some people have no problems with endoscopy's & if that you then you'll be fine. You will need an endoscopy even if you end up having the bypass anyway, which I had in May. It wasn't as unpleasant as the one last September but it was the doctor who carried out the procedure who made the difference.

Hop this helps & I don't mean to scare you at all. My experience was well documented on here at the time.

Take care :)

Yikes. I had a similar ordeal with my edoscopy. The guy who did it was "late for a meeting" and so forgot to sedate me! So i felt the full force of his rushing-ness. It was awful, i was so distressed i sufferred a panic attack and they had to give me something to calm me down (which didnt work cause i didnt want to calm down - i wanted to let people know how much of a git he was to me).

But the girl who went in before me told me after that she hadnt felt a thing and couldnt remember anything. So i guess its different for different people.

For me, surgery was much less distressing than the endoscopy. xxxxxx

if you go onto the word association thread you can bump up your posts so you can pm people.

im getting balloon fitted 22nd dec at sunderland i waited over 6month for an appointment

hi KurvyKayls ive got balloon in at mo if you need to know anything let me know hun im only checking on ere at the posts xx

Back